Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Parking brake exploded....

So I'm going to chalk this up to me being stupid...

Last week we got quite a bit of snow so I decided to do an e-brake slide in a large empty parking lot to see how the car reacts in a skid. I heard a pop and when I went to drive the car straight it started turning quite a bit. Hmmm... The parking brake must have stuck or jammed on one side. So I get out and give the wheel a good ol' kick. Get back in the car and everything seems fine. 2 days ago I'm about a mile away from home, just driving normal, and I hear another loud pop and then brakes grinding (didn't sound too loud...) I limp home and pull of the wheel that most smelled like melted brake. The inside of the rotor was blued from the heat, the caliper was frozen shut, and the brake pads had delaminated. Nothing too serious... I thought I should be safe and check the other side while I was at it.

I pull the rotor off and chunks of metal fall down to the floor. Ooops... the parking brake pretty much detonated on the driver side. The tab on the wheel hub housing had been sheared off. I do some searching on this forum and learn I'm in for a spendy fix. I found a wrecking yard that had the housing in one of their other locations and that they could get it to their nearest to me location by the next morning (it's about 60 miles away...). This morning I went to O'reilly's and picked up most everything else I needed, Calipers, Rotors, pads, etc. No parking brake hardware kits are available anywhere... And I REALLY need to get my car back on the road. I drive up to pick up the wrecking yard part and they have no record of me ordering it. After some fighting with them they finally find the sales order and tell me that they haven't pulled the part yet (this was an hour after they told me it would be ready). I leave for 30 minutes and come back to see a front knuckle at the counter. Big argument over what I ordered (they finally admitted they messed up) and I'm out the door with my part, now 3 hours AFTER they said it would be ready. I find the parking brake hardware in a Volvo dealership about 90 miles away...

Lots of driving around, I should be able to put the car back together tonight...

Anything else I should replace while I'm there? I did order a new hub, for the side that was really bad, the hub on the other side seems fine. Any tricks to reassembly?

Scott

Same thing happened to me a year ago. I took out all the e-brake hardware and will assemble it back one of these weekends when I'm done with one of the other two cars.

The correct tool for getting the hub out is a BFH.

That was mine a couple months ago.
    not too hard to do it.
    try ebay has all hardwares needed.
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...t=19489&page=2
    1998 V70 187K miles and counting,now sold
    2002 VW GTI 1.8 T My sweet baby
    2002 V70 XC 158K miles sold
    2005 V70 XC 98Kk miles Newly aquired

Reading more up on this seems like brake shoe friction surface delamination is not so rare occurrence. Anyone has more statistics on the following

- Common failure points for these cars?
    - Any relationship to salted roads?
    - Any relationship to infrequently used parking brake?

Amazing it can cause so much damage but makes sense the delaminated friction material will take out everything in a small space under high rotation.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Add to that:

How often are the brakes inspected?

How often are the rear rotors removed during the inspection, to actually check the parking brake itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Ars Gladius View Post
    How often are the brakes inspected?

How often are the rear rotors removed during the inspection, to actually check the parking brake itself?
    Well, we probably know the answer to these 2 questions Not often at all. At best probably during rear rotor change. Also if the rotors are rusted onto the hub (will be true for the original rotors in any climate unless someone take it off early on and put anti-seize on the mating surface), is there a non destructive way to remove it?
    Last edited by howardc64; 01-27-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Since I live in a fairly corrosive environment as far as brakes go, every spring I pull the calipers, lube the slides, clean and re-paint the calipers. I also pull each rotor, knock the rust off the rims and cooling vents, and use anti-seize on the rotor mounting surfaces on the hubs. While the rears are off, I cleanup and lube the e-brake mechanisms and check out the shoes.

Its generally a PITA but the only way to keep brakes in decent shape in a place where the rotors routinely rust over overnight and seize solid to the hubs in a year. Plus being retired, what else do I have to do.

With all this said, it is IMHO that the e-brake setup on these chassis is weak. Not sure of the differences, other than crap material on the OEM shoes, but they don't seem to hold up as well as the similar design in the older RWD and FWD chassis. Cheaper materials maybe but you can't do hand brake turns with a P2 without weird expensive noises coming from the rear.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Back "in the day" I used to do e-brake slides in the snow all the time with my '85 GTI. I guess it's a good thing that I'm old with lower testosterone now and not looking for excitement with the XC70. The longer I've owned this car the more it does seem it's under-engineered in many aspects relative to it's "premium" market niche.

Sounds like it might make sense to change the parking brake shoes as preventive maintenance when doing a brake job.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    Reading more up on this seems like brake shoe friction surface delamination is not so rare occurrence. Anyone has more statistics on the following

- Common failure points for these cars?
    - Any relationship to salted roads?
    - Any relationship to infrequently used parking brake?

Amazing it can cause so much damage but makes sense the delaminated friction material will take out everything in a small space under high rotation.
    I'm pretty sure there's a relationship to incorrectly using the parking brake. You should never pull a hand brake with full force, and especially not in a vehicle with driven rear wheels while stepping on the accelerator. You really can't do an e-brake slide in a RWD or AWD car. Even if you don't mess up the brakes, you can do a lot of damage to the powertrain.

Edit: Things can be even worse if you have DSTC and the DSTC system applies additional braking power because the wheels have lost traction. I don't think ABS is aware of the position of the handbrake, though perhaps the newer electric parking brakes are connected to it in a meaningful way.
    Last edited by matt1122; 01-27-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a similar concern. Just had my mechanic replace the RR hub bearing, it was getting really loud.

My wife was driving a few months ago and I heard the rear ABS going off when we were going down the road at about 65. She had the parking brake on, probably for about ten minutes. Would this cook the hubs and cause them to fail?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast