Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Why won't trans shops touch my 2000V70XC

I recently bought a 2000 V70XC with a trans that loses all drive once warm. Car is very clean, 96k miles, everything works, runs good, only $800.
    Problem is, every auto trans shop in Detroit area won't touch it. Dealers and independent Ann Arbor Volvo shop will only R&R trans with reman unit from Volvo for $4500 and up. No one will actually fix the transmission, even dealer. I've been told the trans is Aisin Warner unit sourced from Toyota. There are a lot of Toyotas on the road, so some one is fixing them.
    I am hesitant to put a used trans in it as some have suggested. Labor quoted is $1000-$1500, (only 1 shop was willing), used trans $500-$900 but all have over 100k miles on them. That's a lot of money for a shot in the dark.

That is puzzling. The 4 speeds are an extremely easy trans to work on as transaxles go. Split the case and the drums are sitting there. The end cover can be an issue as the bushing can wear but on the 4 speed I haven't seen that cause a major meltdown as it quits pulling or backing before it destroys anything.
    There are some rebuilders who do exchange rebuilds.
    The AW50-42 used in Volvo and SAAB and maybe some other European makes was not one used by Toyota.

I agree, that's very strange. Are they under the impression that this is a 5 speed?
    If so, THAT could be the reason.

The 4 speeds are pretty basic, any tranny shop should be able to perfectly rebuild them. Pretty straight forward

Before I realized how easy a trans flush was to do, I called my local Volvo dealer to get a price on a flush ('99 XC). The service department flat out refused to to the work, they said my only option was to replace the transmission (I wasn't having any issues, I just wanted to have the trans flushed). I got no reason, they just refused. So I got the IPD flush kit, a case and a half of Pennzoil DEX III and did it myself.
    The current fleet:
    2006 Volvo XC90 T5
    1992 Audi S4
    2007 525xi
    1988 VW Scirocco 16v (autocrosser)

and this has what to do with the poster's problem???

It's a related story, another instance of work refusing to be done on a car, specifically transmission related.
    OP, have you done a basic go-over of your situation? Checked the fluid level, looked at the fluid color and smell, checked this and other forums for similar issues?
    Good luck getting your issues resolved, hope you find some answers, or a shop that will be willing to help you out.
    The current fleet:
    2006 Volvo XC90 T5
    1992 Audi S4
    2007 525xi
    1988 VW Scirocco 16v (autocrosser)

Definitely odd. First why would a business refuse money? Second I didn't have an issue getting my tranny worked on. For what it's worth, AAMCO did mine and were super easy about everything. Usually I wouldn't recommend a chain for anything but in this case I would highly recommend them as long as the shop in your area is established.

Local Cottman Transmission chain does them around here

I believe the actual reason would be liability in case a rebuilt goes sour. When they know a transmission is a known failure point for certain cars, they wouldn't touch them to avoid paying even if it's not their fault.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils

Initial symptom= Transmission operates OK when cold, but loses all drive after 10-15 minutes running.
    Flushed transmission by drain/fill method using 3 gallons of DEXIII. Car raised on 4 jackstands, all wheels off ground. First drain= almost exactly 1 gallon, (measured), of stinky, dirty, brown ATF. Refilled with 1 gallon fresh ATF, started and run gently through all gear positions for a couple of miles indicated. Second drain= approx 4 1/2 qts of still stinky, dirty fluid. Refill, run a few more miles. transmission appears to be operating OK, shifts a little better, smoother. Third drain= again, a little less than 5 qts, definitely cleaner. Refill with correct amount of ATF and 1 qt of Lucas transmission additive, (extremely thick and viscous!), not overfilled, and run for app. 20 miles on stands gently through all gear positions. All seems OK. "I fixed it!" says I and lower car back to the ground. Start motor, all is OK for a few moments, then all drive is lost and "check engine" and flashing arrow light come on.
    First guess; extremely high viscosity of Lucas product is not mixed completely and is impeding fluid flow. Attempt to access !@#$%^&*() VADIS crap bought off Ebay. Hate it!, no wait I F@#$%^g hate it!! Waste of time and money, confusing, complicated. Ask for help from "techie types" on this and other forums and get wonky computer geek types all trying to outdo and impress each other with how unfathomable they can be. I just wish I could buy a book that I can lay on the bench or the fender or even study in the can while working on this car that I am rapidly beginning to despise. No wonder they sold it so cheap.
    Anyway to get back to trans shops refusing to work on it; I do 99% of all work on my family's cars. I build and restore vintage British bikes and do the occasional H-D crash job as a small business to augment (now) meager retirement. I am pretty good at twisting wrenches, been doing it for 50 years. Shop space is limited and I just don't have the facilities or Volvo special tools to do trans R&R on this car, hence, taking it to trans shop. I am in Detroit area, we have every thing imaginable in automotive world here, but trans shops get cold feet when I tell them what kind of car. Chains like Interstate, AAMCO, Cottman, etc, all quote prices even higher than Volvo dealer in hope I'll just go somewhere else. Only 2 or 3 shops have very hesitatingly said "Maybe" and I'm not comfortable that any of them really know how to fix it the first time. Don't want to be someone's science project.
    This car is in very nice condition other than the trans problems. NADA and KBB say it is worth, in this zip code, between around $4600 to $6500. Dealer and independent Volvo shop in Ann Arbor will only exchange for reman unit from Volvo for $4500+ and at that, I'm losing too much money on this car.
    Put a used one in? High labor charges and unknown quality of used trans say that is just not a good option.
    What to do?
    (By the way; I have owned my '83 242 Turbo for over 25 years. Undergoing (another) restoration and Ford Mustang 5.0 V8/T5 driveline swap. Also have super clean '84 242. No stranger to Volvos)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast