Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should I buy a 2008 xc70? Reliability? Currently own 2004 Outback

Hey what's up everyone,

I've spent a good amount of time on the forum recently as I've been on the hunt. I am currently considering swapping out my 2004 subaru outback for something a bit newer.

I know it will be tough since my outback with 120K miles has only been in for maintenance, so I have a high standard for reliability since this is the only car I've owned for 8 years.

Anyway, while I'm still considering a new outback, the new outback styling has me poking around elsewhere and I was reminded of the xc70. I'm a wagon guy, like the looks, love the space. I bet the AWD isn't quite as good as my subaru, but probably solid.

The volvos are more expensive, but when you start looking at some low-mileage used ones they are right in the range. So, I'm eyeing up a 2008 with only 30K miles on it that has leather and probably not many other packages added, but asking price is under 23K and it has me interested.

What I really need to do is go test drive the car, which is soon but dealerships aren't convenient. I live in the mountains above 6,000 feet so I'm a bit worried about the power of the 3.2, but at the same time I'm coming from a 170hp 5sp outback. I don't need to jump off the line, just have enough power at speed every once in a while to have some fun and enjoy my car doing its thing at higher RPMS using the shiftable auto. 3rd gear going 45 hearing the engine on gravel roads is fun before mountain biking. I feel bad for my parents cars because I think I'm the only one who takes the needle over 3,000 RPMS.

So, my major concerns are:

#1 - Reliability/Durability - Great price is coming from a non-Volvo dealer therefore no certified warranties. My Subaru feels perfectly fine at 120K and I'm confident in another bunch of miles, can I hope for this with the ford built I6?

#2 - Gas mileage - Sounds like with a light foot they are doing better than the 18-23 estimates, but still a concern especially with non regular gas.

#3 - Does the tan leather go to S##T? Cracking, wear, etc? It looks awesome right away for sure.

Thanks for any help, I've scoured so much information I'm sure some of you know how it is, it gets dumb. I'm up later than I should be looking at car stuff that I've read a few times before, haha. Anyway, thought I'd bug the community for any input, especially since the 08's are aging.

Same thing here. I'm coming from 04' Lexus 330. I test drove it (2 different cars 08 and 09) actually.
    It feels more solid, even compare to 08 and 09 Rx330. But the biggest thing is Reliability?
    I need at least one car in family be Reliable. I have BMW 5-series.
    Leather should be fine at least if you are using conditioner ones a month or two. I always did with all my cars, if they had equipment with leather

Quote Originally Posted by mheher View Post
    Hey what's up everyone,

I've spent a good amount of time on the forum recently as I've been on the hunt. I am currently considering swapping out my 2004 subaru outback for something a bit newer.

I know it will be tough since my outback with 120K miles has only been in for maintenance, so I have a high standard for reliability since this is the only car I've owned for 8 years.

Anyway, while I'm still considering a new outback, the new outback styling has me poking around elsewhere and I was reminded of the xc70. I'm a wagon guy, like the looks, love the space. I bet the AWD isn't quite as good as my subaru, but probably solid.

The volvos are more expensive, but when you start looking at some low-mileage used ones they are right in the range. So, I'm eyeing up a 2008 with only 30K miles on it that has leather and probably not many other packages added, but asking price is under 23K and it has me interested.

What I really need to do is go test drive the car, which is soon but dealerships aren't convenient. I live in the mountains above 6,000 feet so I'm a bit worried about the power of the 3.2, but at the same time I'm coming from a 170hp 5sp outback. I don't need to jump off the line, just have enough power at speed every once in a while to have some fun and enjoy my car doing its thing at higher RPMS using the shiftable auto. 3rd gear going 45 hearing the engine on gravel roads is fun before mountain biking. I feel bad for my parents cars because I think I'm the only one who takes the needle over 3,000 RPMS.

So, my major concerns are:

#1 - Reliability/Durability - Great price is coming from a non-Volvo dealer therefore no certified warranties. My Subaru feels perfectly fine at 120K and I'm confident in another bunch of miles, can I hope for this with the ford built I6?

#2 - Gas mileage - Sounds like with a light foot they are doing better than the 18-23 estimates, but still a concern especially with non regular gas.

#3 - Does the tan leather go to S##T? Cracking, wear, etc? It looks awesome right away for sure.

Thanks for any help, I've scoured so much information I'm sure some of you know how it is, it gets dumb. I'm up later than I should be looking at car stuff that I've read a few times before, haha. Anyway, thought I'd bug the community for any input, especially since the 08's are aging.
    Hi there,
    If I were you, I would seriously consider the XC60 and not the 70.
    An 2009 XC60 T6 AWD 285 Hp twin turbo, newer technology, higher reliability, more space and better design. Why don't you give it a try, you will fall in love with.

Default Xc60

I will do that. Originally was liking the xc70 for the space, but the 67 vs 71 isn't bad. A lot of the smaller crossovers are usually much less so I made the assumption.

As far as reliability, why would you say the t6 xc60 is better off than the 3.2 xc70. Or, for comparison, a 2009 xc70 t6.

I like the 9 inches of ground clearance as I car camp and drive forest service roads pretty often.

And another thing about XC60 vs XC70, I think these couple cubic feet less makes a bug difference, becasue I can compre to 04'Lexus RX330, well I tell you it's a lot.

The XC60 is just a different model. I would certainly consider both, but they each have their ups and downs. The XC60, being a newer vehicle, does have some extra bonuses the 2008 XC70 will not.

Default T6 vs. 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by mheher View Post
    I will do that. Originally was liking the xc70 for the space, but the 67 vs 71 isn't bad. A lot of the smaller crossovers are usually much less so I made the assumption.

As far as reliability, why would you say the t6 xc60 is better off than the 3.2 xc70. Or, for comparison, a 2009 xc70 t6.

I like the 9 inches of ground clearance as I car camp and drive forest service roads pretty often.
    I didn't say it is any better. Both engines are the same: SI6 "short inline 6 cylinder", developed by Volvo, manufactured in the UK. 3.2 is a normally aspirated 238 hp. verses 3.0 turbocharged 285 hp. for the T6. I personally drive the 3.2 on my 2008 XC90. Nothing wrong with it in terms of reliability, however, considering the weight of the XC90, I would have preferred the T6 with its more pulling power in climbing mountains with family & luggage.
    As for the reliability comparison, XC60 scored 8.9 points over ten compared to 7.9 for the xc70. reference to U.S News, rankings & reviews.

it's more likely because XC70 produce since 2007, when XC60 is just 2010. So let wait another couple yers when XC60 cars will around 50-70 thousand range.

I just traded my '03 Allroad for a '09 XC70 T6, Love it! Just as quick as my Audi and even with that extra weight/height. I didn’t want to go SUV and was concerned the extra height on the Volvo may feel unstable on some tight curves. I drive rural roads for my commute daily. I had read that the ‘08’s had more problems than following years. I believe it was the first year for that new 3.2 engine, don’t quote me here though. Also something to consider, beginning in ‘09 the integrated Bluetooth for your hands-free phone is standard. I got 280k+ on my 1980 240 sedan and was sad to see it go. I am very happy to be back in a Volvo.
    Happy Hunting

XC70 is a fabulous vehicle-- my current xc70 is still less than a year old, but all my previous Volos have been tanks, never letting me down for hundreds of thousands of miles

Get it checked out by a good indie mechanic who KNOWS VOLVO before you buy, and I have no doubt you'll find a perfect car for you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast