Default Check Engine Light On - No Stored Code!

Well I got my first CEL. Woo Hoo. Nothing seemed amiss. So I went down to the auto-parts store borrowed their OBDII scanner, hooked it up to the ODBII port under the drivers left side foot well, and it said it had no stored codes? Hmm, I tried it again and same thing. This was my first time with a OBDII scanner, but I followed the directions given to me. I was able to clear the CEL with the scanner and the CEL has not comeback on since then (Only 1 day).

My question is. Is it common for a ODBII scanner to not show a stored code when the CEL is on. Is it because the code is Volvo specific? The Auto-Parts guy said this sometimes happens when the cigarette lighter fuse is blown.

Quote Originally Posted by guymon View Post
    Well I got my first CEL. Woo Hoo. Nothing seemed amiss. So I went down to the auto-parts store borrowed their OBDII scanner, hooked it up to the ODBII port under the drivers left side foot well, and it said it had no stored codes? Hmm, I tried it again and same thing. This was my first time with a OBDII scanner, but I followed the directions given to me. I was able to clear the CEL with the scanner and the CEL has not comeback on since then (Only 1 day).

My question is. Is it common for a ODBII scanner to not show a stored code when the CEL is on. Is it because the code is Volvo specific? The Auto-Parts guy said this sometimes happens when the cigarette lighter fuse is blown.
    Most OBD2 scanners only "know" those codes mandated by law to be in the public domain. The regulation allows OEMs to have a set of codes that can be used for their own purposes and that do not have to follow the naming convention or be accessible to the public. You would have been better off buying a DiCE and having it hook up to a VIDA setup on a laptop. That would have allowed you to know exactly what the code was. But the fact that you were able to clear it and it hasn't returned probably indicates it is one of those spurious errors that attacks everything from car electronics to Windows PCs these days.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff