Default Hard Start Diagnosis

So the other day I was running an errand - car started and ran fine on the way out, but when I came out, the engine tuned over but it wouldn't start for the longest time. Finally it did, and once it did it ran alright until I turned it off again. Then the same thing happened again.

During all this I checked the oil and it was very low (face-palm) so God knows what condition my turbocharger is in. I'm also getting a small bouquet of error codes (p0036, p0136 and p0236) but even if my turbocharger rotor was welded into place and my oxygen and mass air flow sensors were sending absolutely bogus data, I'd expect the car to start, but run like crap, which is exactly not what I'm seeing.

A little reading suggests that long hard starts are often a fuel pressure issue. Anything else I should put on my "look at soonest" list for diagnosing this?

Your model year would sure help here

Sorry, it's a '99.

Possible fuel pump check valve
    First we thought this was a 2000 issue only but now some 99s are doing the same thing.

Before you install an aftermarket C/V you need to do some fuel pressure tests at the fuel rail.
    $30 and a half hour of labor is much better than an entirely new fuel pump for $1400
    IF this is the issue, these work very well and almost forever.

If it is diagnosed to be a bad check valve, THIS is what you will need to buy.
    http://www.amazon.com/SUR-Auto-Parts.../dp/B000YOVLBO

MILEAGE also helps
    A failing C/V does not throw a code, so you need to deal with those first
    Last edited by JRL; 12-01-2011 at 06:02 AM.

Could this be a bad antenna ring (ignition switch) or a bad fuel pump relay. If you crank the car and it does not start remove the key turn it over and then try it again. If it starts right away then you have a bad antenna ring. Check the fuel pressure and that should give an answer real fast to the fuel pump situation.
    2000 XC70 108K miles (transmission swap, heater core, timing belt)
    1999 S70 156k
    2003 S40 181k