Default Angle Gear Interchange

The angle gear/bevel gear/transfer case (your choice) on our 04 XC70 is failing, as evidenced by increasing gear whine and confirmed by the local Volvo dealer.

I have the angle gear from our wrecked 01 XC70 still attached to the nearly new tranny on a pallet in the yard. It has no leaks and has never given a hint of trouble. My question for any of the experts here is whether or not the units are interchangeable between those model years.

There was a change in the part number in 2003, but the parts department at the local dealer does not know the significance of the change. As they told me (a little facetiously, for sure), parts numbers sometimes change with the color of the box in which parts are packaged.

Obviously, if something like shaft size, number or size of splines, etc. changed between 2002 and 2003, I am out of luck.

So, will an 01 XC70 angle gear fit/work in an 04 XC70? If not, why not?

If anyone can answer this question, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Default Angle gear compatibility: Any advice at all?

Seems this was a more obscure question than I realized. Has nobody here been down this road? I would hate to shell out for an angle gear from a bone yard if the one I've already got is usable.

Any advice at all on how to figure this out would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon

2003 Volvo went with Haldex and a different AWD system, I would guess the angle gear is probably different

Why would the angle gear be different unless the rear diff is also not not the same? The Haldex or Viscous Coupling just bolts to the rear diff and has no gearing, right?

From swedishautoparts.com:

XC70 1998-1999 Angle Gear Assembly 1998 Vin 482861 On OES 8602679
    XC70 2000-2000 Angle Gear Assembly OES 8601587
    XC70 2001-2002 Angle Gear Assembly AWD Only OES 36000338
    XC70 2003-2007 Angle Gear Assembly OES 36000340
    MY05 XC70: +4C+DSTC +Premium Pkg +Zimmerman Coated+Ceramic +General UHP+Rims +IPD Solid Strut Conv. +IPD Poly Mounts +IPD HD TCV +IPD HDCoils

Quote Originally Posted by granlund View Post
    Why would the angle gear be different unless the rear diff is also not not the same? The Haldex or Viscous Coupling just bolts to the rear diff and has no gearing, right?
    They are differerent
    Different propshafts and upgraded pieces, gears and flanges that are not interchangeable
    Like viscous couplings and propshafts Volvo has several different ones and they do not match up
    Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by granlund View Post
    Angle gear is in the front
    Haldex is in the rear
    V/C in rear

Haldex and/or the V/C do not bolt to the angle gear
    Propshaft in the middle and ties it together and are all different

Default Thank you

All:

I have been poring over the exploded diagrams from VIDA for the two different part numbers and it does seem that there are significant differences between the 01-02 and 03-07 angle gears. Things like sealing rings, flanges, etc. differ, even if the housing is apparently identical.

Jim seems to have hit it on the head: "Different propshafts and upgraded pieces, gears and flanges that are not interchangeable."

Thanks for your efforts to help me with this.

hello, quick answer to your question, I have put a bevel gear from a 2001 v70xc in my wifes 2004 xc70, I had to use the yoke (and a new seal) from the 2004 bevel gear as the yoke from the 2001 was slightly larger,and the 2004 driveshaft would not bolt to it.

Hi, and thanks for sharing your experience. Glad that worked out for you.

To close the loop on this thread: when I unbolted the angle gear from the transmission, a big chunk of the angle gear housing fell to the ground. It seems likely to me that the housing was fractured as a result of the engine striking a rock during the accident. That impact put a hole in the oil pan.

I ended up buying a 2004 XC70 angle gear from a yard in Indiana for $300. It has worked fine for about 15k miles.

Thanks for everyone's insight and advice.