Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

“Snowbird Run – 2011”

Portugal Page 12.

Hey Ho, another day another city!

After a nice quite night, that was not cold due to the clouds moving in, we take the short drive to Evora which is another World Heritage Site.

Outskirts of Evora.

Having arrived but had to wait until the mist partly cleared at our last campsite before we could head off, we decided to have an ‘R&R Day’ as we needed some groceries and to sort out some other bits and pieces.

‘Flamenco Red’ also needed a ‘Bath & Vacuum’ to get back to looking good as the fog that we passed through a few days ago had left both the ‘Tin Tent’ & ‘FR’ looking decidedly unclean.

So apart from a bit of ‘work’ it has been a somewhat lazy day, but we are planning a day to go ‘exploring’ in Evora tomorrow and will report back the results in due course.

‘Bo Noite’
    Last edited by XCovlov70; 12-06-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Wrong Country

“Snowbird Run – 2011”

Portugal Page 13.

A day exploring Evora.

But first our ‘campsite’…

So now you need to ‘Get on your Bike’ and start pedalling towards the City Centre and on the way you see…

Town Gate (It’s the space in the middle of the picture!)

Looking back across the traffic island we see more Marble!

While up in the City Square we meet Granddad selling Hot Chestnuts!

While at one end of the square is the church of St Antao with its little altars around the walls for different saints, and there was one that was asking for donations to the value of €8000 for repairs!

Then back outside we see the other end of the square and fountain...

We then set off for the Roman Temple and see this nice view up an alleyway…

Then a bit further see the top of the Cathedral…

But got to the door, saw the price of admission and decided no…

Shortly after we arrived at the Roman Temple…

While across the road was the Church of Loios…

While excavating some of the surroundings they came across the bones of Monks from the Monastery next door, so moved them to a space under the church.

Christmas display in the church…

Not sure if these are Choir Boy seats or what?

Now out of the church and on our way to the Palace of the Dukes of Cadaval

And judging by the furnishings and surroundings it was very ‘Upmarket’!

The Helmet in the picture below reminded me of the Spanish ‘Conquistadors but not after a 'Rainy Day’!

I think this was the guy that lived here as his picture is all over the place in various guises…

Not sure if these ‘bells’ were for the Servants?

Some of the items from their overseas adventures!

Finally got back outside making our way to the Roman Aquaduct….

And there it is….

Very interesting how the houses have been built into the columns…

Top view showing how it was fully enclosed…

This was the start point, just to the left of the NO ENTRY sign!

City view of the narrow streets…

Interesting carving of what appears to be ‘Wings’ in Marble….

A City Hygiene ‘Truck’!

Evora Theatre with a nice little park that we had lunch in….

A statue of Vasco De Gama that was given to Evora by Africa…

Another Palace, with nice interesting architecture, but it was closed.

The residents of the palace have long since gone, but the Peacocks are still here!

We then made our way back to the campsite and tomorrow we are ‘On the Road again’ to Serpa.

Ps. I think we are getting close to Christmas as we heard Bing Crosby singing a Christmas Carol with a Backing Choir on a radio in a small cafeteria in the Municipal Market as we called in for a coffee on our way back to the campsite!
    Must dig out my Christmas Stocking when we get back unless I have a ‘Senior Moment’ and forget again!

Boa Noite!

“Snowbird Run – 2011”

Portugal Page 14.

Woke this morning to a very foggy day so our start time to Serpa was delayed hoping the fog would lift, but 2 hours later there was no difference so we decided to head off and take it easy as it was not a long drive.

During the journey we were absolutely amazed to see a number of vehicles driving along with no lights on and also a couple of drivers wearing Sunglasses while driving!

Arrived at our next campsite to find that the place is undergoing some changes in ‘Tree Planting’ along the edges of the roads and some of the people here think it is to stop people camping there, which makes no sense.

After a short while and having checked in we found a place that was relatively flat and got parked up and set up as we are here for a few weeks, well certainly till the New Year!

As the fog actually lifted around 16:00hrs today we decided to go out after dinner and see what we could find in interesting views around the town during the evening, but a word of warning….

We set off without a map and after 45 minutes got completely LOST!

While we have been in many places we have never felt so concerned but eventually we found our way back to a part we knew so all was well again!

The small church just around the corner from the campsite

Road leading to the Roman Aqueduct

Part of the Aqueduct

The rest of the Aqueduct

Town Wall Gate

Narrow street with part of Town wall going across

Another Town Wall Gate

The main Town Wall Gate

A rather nice little chimney

View up to the Castle

If it’s a nice day tomorrow we might be able to get back in the daylight for a better view!

“Snowbird Run – 2011”

Portugal Page 15.

Again we wake up to a foggy day but not as thick as yesterday and by 11:00 it was starting to disappear, meanwhile we kicked off after breakfast with the laundry hoping it was going to clear up weather wise, and it has but the laundry is not quite dry!

Here in Serpa today is a holiday and it is the 38th Anniversary of the local Band, so we were treated to some very nice music as the band made its way through some of the streets of the town.

The little church just outside the campsite

The view towards the Aqueduct albeit on a misty morning

Another narrow town street

The Town Hall

Bell Tower that is in front of the church of Santa Maria

The church of Santa Maria

The part of the Town Wall that nearly ‘fell over’

‘Moorish’ style houses near one of the town squares

Bo Noite!

“Snowbird Run – 2011”

Portugal Page 16.

It has been the Immaculate Conception Public Holiday here in Portugal today so the majority of shops and certainly Public Buildings have been closed.

As a result, Pages 14 & 15 were uploaded last night with the Laptop ‘balanced’ on the Telephone Distribution Box outside the ‘Bibliotech’ in Serpa while using the ‘Hotspot Wi-Fi’ connection!
    (Next time I take a picture, promise.)

As it was somewhat dark at the time, and getting colder by the minute I am extremely glad it was a fast connection as my fingers were in the process of clamping up and Laptop Battery life was depreciating rapidly!

I think if my good lady had been with me and I had tried to warm my fingers up on her, I would have had my face slapped! YEOW!

Thankfully the Library is open tomorrow, so we can go inside and stay warm with a mains hook-up!!!

Now on the day after and we face yet another ‘Foggy Day’ but I must admit it looks a bit thinner, however we decided to have breakfast and toddle off to a place called ‘Mértola’ which is described as ‘The place where Islam meets Christianity’….

So off we go travelling down foggy roads, and having arrived at the town we park up and find the Tourist Office which has this nice picture on the back wall of the office…

Whereas at the ‘entrance’ to the town you are met by this nice sign and sculptures…

Then not far from the Tourist Office is….

First stop was the Parish Church that was formerly a Mosque, and before that a Roman Temple!…

Then inside the Parish Church, which was quite plain in its decoration, we saw the ‘Mihrab’ behind the Madonna & Child statue…

While a couple of the doorways still had Islamic styles visible…

Back outside the Church and making our way to the Castle, look back and you see a nice view of the Church Roof…

Then onward & upward to the Castle via the entrance gate…

And into the inner area…

Next we climb the stairs of the Tower that have been illuminated with LED Rope Chains from the local Chinese Shop!

With a view back to the town that is not good!

Nice view of the ‘Castellated’ top of the tower…

Then a view over into another corner of the Castle…

While having come back down the Tower we find a coat of arms in the main area…

Then some information about artefacts that were found in the ‘living space’ of the castle…

That concluded we make our way outside and see this Moor Horse Rider outside who only appeared to ‘last’ 3 years…

We then started to make our way in a circular fashion down to and along the road adjacent to the river…

I think some of the corners and angles of descent would have brought me close to ‘PANIC’ if we had driven around town, and I did not fancy any bent panels in Flamenco Red, so I am rather glad we walked!

Our next stop was the Islamic Art Collection Museum…

Spotted this Stork as we wandered around the Museum…

The ceiling in the picture below was re-created from a place in Morocco called Chefchaouene…

Back outside and further along the ‘River Wall’ we see the ‘River Tower’ where the Toll was collected from ships using the Port and also water was drawn from the river for the town…

Further on we pass this ‘Ancient Clock Tower’ on the right and the ‘Roman House’ on the left…

With the top of the Roman House, which is now a Council Building…

As it was now ‘lunch time’ here in Portugal which lasts from 12:30 till 14:00hrs we decided to go and seek some sustenance which turned out to be, a bowl of soup, followed by a nice cake, followed by coffee for the princely sum of €4.50 for both of us!

Now refreshed and the caffeine levels back to normal we just took a stroll around the rest of the town with the following results…

We think that the Christmas Tree was purchased by the Council from the local Chinese Shop, as it was very nice but quite cheap!...

Lastly for today, a Shepherd with his small flock of sheep & dogs just outside Serpa as we got back…

That’s it for today, we are hopeful that tomorrow is a nicer day, but we have a forecast of RAIN, so there is no chance for the laundry!

Bo Noite!

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    Glad you are enjoying the trip!
    I hope when you read the next bit your coffee is not to hot!

“Snowbird Run – 2011”

Portugal Page 17.

Sadly the morning fog/mist was with us yet again today but cleared around lunchtime to be followed shortly after by the rain, not heavy but persistent, bit like the incessant drip, drip, drip of a leaky tap into a metal bowl, so now you know what inside the ‘Tin Tent’ sounds like!

Our laundry has still not dried out completely after 4 days, and the Tumble Dryer at the campsite is out of service with no sign of it being replaced or repaired, so below is what a ‘Tin Tent’ resembles looking a bit like a ‘Drying Room’!

The picture of the hanger with all the ‘smalls’ on where omitted after protests from ‘er indoors! Sorry!

The ‘Tumble Dryer’ saga is not really surprising when we think back to the ‘antics’ witnessed a short while ago in another ‘event’ on site!
    In 1 day it took 9 Men all of the day to plant 2 trees on the campsite!

The first tree was what can only be described as ‘Forcefully removed’ with a mechanical digger that just ripped it out of the ground, leaving around half the roots behind, and after much discussion re-planted in a new hole some time later. If it survives it will be a miracle.

The second was brought in and again after much discussion duly planted.
    9 Men @ €5/hour x 8 Hours = €360 WOW! Expensive Trees!

Gone but not forgotten!

Re-planted but already the leaves are wilting.

As today draws to a close it has not been our finest day in Portugal but we have kept our spirits up by taking turns in pedalling the onboard generator in an effort to rustle up the evening meal of ‘Spag Bol’ with a bit of extra spice ‘cos it has been dam cold basically all day over here!

While our trusty ‘Slow Cooker’ has once again come to the fore with the ingredients literally thrown in, then pedal like hell to cook it!

Then 4 hours later on the HIGH Setting which means you have to pedal FASTER!!!

We eventually have dinner!

Bon appetite!

We hope you can smell it and it makes you jealous, cos it tasted Luverly!

Bo Noite!

“Snowbird Run – 2011”

Portugal Page 18.

WOW! It was a bit clearer this morning but the sky looks a bit dark as the return of the rain has been forecast!

Decided to take a chance and go off for a ‘Sunday Drive’ even though the sky looked quite ominous with black clouds around, but it wasn’t long before we were in Olive growing countryside…

Then trundling along very quite roads with little towns/villages popping up on the horizon…

Then we spot this Portuguese Windmill that was in good condition…

It looks like it is still used as in this picture you can see the ‘Canvas Sails’ wrapped around the spars…

While just across the road was this rather interesting flower shaped like a trumpet…

As we drove along we passed several ‘Bridge Constructions’ that appear to have come to a total halt, as there was no sign of any of the normal machinery used in there construction. Maybe this was one of the things that the economic depression caused a halt to in Portugal…

Went into a small village as we spotted a couple of buildings that looked interesting and found this rather nice set of tiles in the wall of a house…

While around the corner was the local church, with the Christmas Bells in place..

Then around another corner were these chimneys with the Shepherd, sheep & dog as a wind vane…

Coming a bit further we spotted a group of people filling water containers from a spring in the village but did not have time to get the camera set up before we had passed, but it made me stop and think that some people still don’t have running water from a tap over here!

We then turned left and went ‘Semi Off Road’ as the road surface was diabolical and it felt like the suspension legs at one point were coming off!!!

Bit further along and the surface got better but we were then driving past the local Vineyards…

Time for a spot of lunch while parked alongside the Olive Groves…

Then on our way back to Serpa we spot this ‘Cork Yard’ where they take the cork which is basically the bark of a certain tree, and sort it before it goes off to be used in the industry…

Finally back on a different road on the outskirts of Serpa and we get this nice view of the town, castle, aqueduct and city wall…

While a bit further up the road is this structure which we are not sure if it was a water tower or something else, but there is water running into the bottom of it.

This reminds me that when we got back we still had 3 pieces of laundry that were not totally dry, but as the wind has now got up, it should not be long before they are!

“Snowbird Run – 2011”

Portugal Page 19.

It really defies belief!

We went out for an evening stroll last night and while going past the Aqueduct we get stopped by whom of all people, Santa Claus asking us if we had a cigarette!

Then a bit later as it was a really clear night with a full Moon and getting quite cold, we get passed by a Brass Monkey with both his hands cupped together in front looking for a Welder, poor lad, we did feel sorry for him!

But now it’s Monday, the shops are shut, so no bread, the library is closed so any updates will have to be done outside while sat on the marble steps with the cold seeping into the ‘nether regions’ AGAIN! And to top it off it’s…..MISTY, but at least the mist is about 120ft off the ground!

Here goes another day in paradise, but when I get back to the ‘Tin Tent’ I will be hanging from the skylight while re-vitalising those ‘frozen bits’ over the halogen heater!

Still today we are off to a small place called ‘Monsaraz’ which is up in the hills and if we believe the Tourist Information leaflet has around 150 inhabitants.

So come on, climb aboard and let’s be off!

While passing through one of the villages we pass this nicely decorated church…

Then a bit further along we spot a large walled town on our left that looks interesting, so we make a diversion to ‘go see’…

Then find out it’s called….

First stop is the Tourist Office which was small but kind of ‘cute’…

Then having got some information we set off up the hill to the Church & Castle…

First stop was the Church…

Which I must admit was really nicely decorated inside…

Nativity scene inside…

Then back outside with views over the Barragem…

Then down into the town…

Short walk and we are at the castle entrance…

With some details about it’s history…

Sadly however the interior had fallen into a sad state, and even the steps up to the top of the walls did not look inviting, especially with all the ‘greenery’ along the top…

But the view after we came back out and went around the back was stunning…

As it was ‘coffee time’ we decided to walk back into the ‘Centro’ and find a little café so wandering down the narrow streets…

We finally come to…

A nice archway

Turning right we then see a rather nice garden with a Nativity on the Bandstand…

With some nice buildings around the outside…

As we then get to a café we spot these Olive Trees with there rather distorted trunks…

Then on the way back to the car park we spot this Storks Nest with the ‘spike’ through the centre! (Bit uncomfortable maybe?)

And up a side road inside a doorway were these old ploughs hanging on the wall…

Back on the road and after a short distance there is Monsaraz…

After a bit of ‘Growling’ from Flamenco Red as we went ‘hill climbing’ the town starts to get BIGGER!

Then in the car park we get out and look up…

Then a few feet further up and look back…

While on the archway leading into the town we spot this….

And there we are, I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story…..

Having then made our way into the Castle we went up a steel staircase were the view from the top looking into the town was…

While the next couple of pictures show the Bullring that was inside the castle…

Followed by a good view over the countryside. This is the largest Barragem in Portugal and forms part of the border with Spain…

While back down in the town we take a stroll around with the following results…

While back at the main town gate and looking to the left…

Made our way back to the car park…

However I thought a double wide shot of the Barragem would give you some idea of the size…

From Left to Right…

Next stop on our way back was under that very long bridge in the previous pictures…

10 Miles further on we followed this trailer for a short while with its load of Olives which are still being harvested and taken in to the Co-operatives for processing…

While a bit further down the road was this rather palatial residence with presumably the owner’s initials on the gates!

Thankfully the weather forecast got it wrong again so the rain did not materialise, so let’s see if they get it right tomorrow or we get another cock up from the weathermen!

Bo Noite!