Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry What would you do? (dealer disaster)

So I've got a bit of a dealer dilema and I'm not sure where to turn anymore. I've had quite poor service from my local dealer, however I've continued to go there due to the lack of Volvo specialized independent mechanics in the area. Here is a run down of my most recent problem.

I was headed out of town for a week and wanted to get some service done so I called ahead and told them what I needed (Oil change, Timing belt, and wheel hub). I dropped the car off after hours and left town. Service seemed to go okay, they noticed a leak out the weep port of the water pump and I elected to have that changed out too since they were doing the timing belt. I gave payment over the phone and they said they would leave the keys with the sales staff since I was comming in on Saturday.

When the cab dropped me off the keys were nowhere to be seen. I had to beg and plead the sales staff to rummage though the service department to find my keys that they had forgotten to leave out. I got in my car and shut the door and herd the most aweful clang. I tried to roll the drivers window down and it wouldn't budge . When I looked over at the dash I noticed the "Service Soon" light was on, a quick glance at the service order showed they hadn't even changed the oil!!!

I came back first thing on Monday and explained the situation. They admitted giving me a raw deal on the Oil Change but they refuse to admit any part or offer any discount on fixing the window they broke. They said the track is bent so it will be almost 700 bones to get it taken care of. They cant even get the window back in the car that they took out . I spend two hours on the phone with the supervisor who was extreemly rude and he doesn't in least bit admit they may have caused it. I promised that it was working when dropped of and he goes "you cant prove that". I said "wanna bet, how many of the cars on the lift in your shop right now have the drivers window rolled down???" . I know they do this to keep from locking the keys in there, WHICH HE AGREED THAT THEY DO!!!. He even agreed with the way the window was broken it would not even be capable of rolling down or up.

Is it unreasonable for me to expect them to at least provide a significant discount here? Not to mention how rude he has been on the phone...

This is an easy one, if they have your vehicle, they are responsable for the proper care and custody of it. If the window did in fact work when you dropped it off, exhaust all available routes (management, regional, VCNA) then contact your attorney. They should no provide you a discount, they should fix it, period
    96 850 glt (deceased @260k?)
    02 V70XC 120k (traded)
    09 S80 39k
    10 VW Croutan 17k
    98 Chevy K1500 4x 84k
    67 Pont Lemans convt
    09 Chevy Tahoe PPV

Sorry about your troubles with the dealer. Definitely escalate this problem to Volvo corporate and an attorney if this dealer won't budge........and don't go back.

2 min search on Google came up with this indy in your area. Not sure if they are any good but there are probably others as well:

http://www.independentautoak.com/

Good luck.
    '05 XC70 (family truckster)
    '11 X3 xdrive35i (Daddy's daily)
    '05 Sienna XLE Limited AWD (the road tripper)

Default Chargeback

I bet your service bill was $700 for TB/WP,
    Did you pay by Credit Card or debit?

If credit let the service advisor know that unless this is resolved to your liking you are going to ask the CC company for a chargeback on the service because they did not perform as expected. Tell the advisor he will be out the $ while the CC company investigates. (long time) So he can either work something out, or risk having all the $$ taken back for his lack of assistance.

I wonder if the window was frozen (water in track) and they busted it trying to open it when they brought it in and started to work on it.

(help from the lower 48 )
    Last edited by Q-ship; 10-04-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks for the link BBBuzy, I found that same guy too after this event set me off. He must be pretty new because the last time I looked (year ago) there were no other certified shops in town. I think i'm going to start going to him if I end up having to pay to get this window fixed, heck I may even pay him to fix it to spite the dealer.

The car is sitting in my garage right now with the window laying on the carpet in the back. I had to drive it home without being fixed since my house sitter needs access to an emergency ride while I'm out of town. I'm just trying to figure out my next move. After two hours on the phone with the service manager I've got him widdled down to ~50% off the repair, so I'd still be out 300 bucks which drives me nuts.

I talked and talked but could only get up to their service department manager, is it easy to get ahold of the general manager?

I sent an email into Volvo corporate via the web site and the reply I got back was "I'm very sorry to learn of your experience at XXXXXXX Volvo. It is very upsetting to hear when a Volvo customer does not have a satisfactory experience at a retailer. Their integrity and dependability as well as that of our organization are factors in preserving owner loyalty and commitment to our product.

Volvo retailers are responsible to conduct their operations according to their own policies. This includes, among many things, the hiring and firing of personnel, the pricing for labor and parts, as well as how the staff treats the customers. You may want to discuss your concerns with the general manager or, if necessary, the owner of the dealership.

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us. I realize that the dealer has not met your expectations of Volvo and I apologize for any inconvenience."

Where would you go next, and how do I prove via an attorney that the dealer broke the window?

I can walk in to my local dealer and speak with the manager at any time...it should not be hard. Consult with an attorney and if you go that route let him worry about the proof part...thats why you would be paying him.
    96 850 glt (deceased @260k?)
    02 V70XC 120k (traded)
    09 S80 39k
    10 VW Croutan 17k
    98 Chevy K1500 4x 84k
    67 Pont Lemans convt
    09 Chevy Tahoe PPV

So, some progress here.

I declined to bring it right back to the dealer since I wasn't happy with the story I was getting on the phone. After many phone calls I got it dialed down to me paying for half (~300 bucks) of the repair bill. I took it over to the new indie shop in town and had them document the condition of the window track and they assured me that a regulator arm detaching from the motor could not cause the same damage seen on the track and that the window would not function in it's most recent condition.

I then went to meet face to face with the General Manager. I got deferred over to a "Head of Service" since that is who the Service managers at each dealership report too. (This company owns like 7 different dealerhips of various makes in this town so I think Sales has one management chain and service has another) He wasn't in but promptly followed with a phone call. He was actually well composed and was the first person to say that while they didn't feel liable they did recognize that the incident probobly occured in their shop. He treated me quite nicely (especially when compared with the Service Manager) and eventually conference called me after going over to meet the Service manager about it.

I'm glad to see someone there treats customers like customers, but the big dilema is now what do I do?

Option 1: Bring the car to the stealership and get it fixed for half off
    Option 2: Bring it to the indie and pay more but start the relationship
    Option 3: Tell my lawyer to start contacting the dealer given the evidence I have

Quote Originally Posted by reync5 View Post
    So, some progress here.

I declined to bring it right back to the dealer since I wasn't happy with the story I was getting on the phone. After many phone calls I got it dialed down to me paying for half (~300 bucks) of the repair bill. I took it over to the new indie shop in town and had them document the condition of the window track and they assured me that a regulator arm detaching from the motor could not cause the same damage seen on the track and that the window would not function in it's most recent condition.

I then went to meet face to face with the General Manager. I got deferred over to a "Head of Service" since that is who the Service managers at each dealership report too. (This company owns like 7 different dealerhips of various makes in this town so I think Sales has one management chain and service has another) He wasn't in but promptly followed with a phone call. He was actually well composed and was the first person to say that while they didn't feel liable they did recognize that the incident probobly occured in their shop. He treated me quite nicely (especially when compared with the Service Manager) and eventually conference called me after going over to meet the Service manager about it.

I'm glad to see someone there treats customers like customers, but the big dilema is now what do I do?

Option 1: Bring the car to the stealership and get it fixed for half off
    Option 2: Bring it to the indie and pay more but start the relationship
    Option 3: Tell my lawyer to start contacting the dealer given the evidence I have
    I'm voting for Door Number 3. Go get 'em!

Good luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

It sucks that your window is screwed up.
    If the dealer originally wanted 700 to fix it, how much did the Indy shop quote you? If his rates are better thay may help you decide.

Consider the possibility that the lawyer may cost you 500-1000 dollars to get your $300 repair done for free. Then you've also wasted more time waiting while not having the car to drive.

option 1, let the dealer do it at half price.
    John, '01 V70 T5
    '04 V70 2.5T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast