Thread: High miles

Default Imported post

I am a long time volvo owner (3 cars over 25 years), and I am considering buying a 2001 XC w/ 80K miles. If it were a 240, I wouldn't even flinch. I have no experience with the XC's. I was hoping that you guys can give me an idea of the types of problems or repairs that I might have with an XC with this many miles. Thanks!
    81 244 GL 155K
    89 245 123K

Default Imported post

Welcome, Pumpkin Farmer, and thanks for posting your location and car details.

There were some posts awhile ago about problems with the"bevel gear" at 65,000 miles plus. They may well be for the older models. Try a search in both XC70 forums on this site for "bevel" and try "awd".

There is an issue with tyre dimensions with the implication that if the previous owner(s) were not fastidious about their tyre dimensions then this might put strain on the whole drive train. Check to see that the vehicle has the exact same tyres on each wheel, and check the tread depths. If mixed tyres - avoid the car unless you get a good explanation.

Other folks may give you other info as well
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

Default Imported post

Welcome Pumkin Farmer

You certainly found the right site for your info. I would say, as I presently have one that by the time the 01 came out most of the problems were ironed out from the previous model. That said you should get a years warranty with it so don't panic that something is a miss.

Take delivery and get a feel for it and then ask questions based on your experiences, and someone will point you in the right direction.

The only main thing that would concern me before delivery is that all the tires are of the same depth, as this can cause problems with the drive train, later in life. If you can get half decent tires then I would be happy with what you have got until you find your way around.

PS, mine is coming up to 78K

Default Imported post

Pumpkin Farmer,

About six months ago I took the plunge and bought an 01 with 70k on it.  The key for me, after a little research, was that this car had

1) excellent detailed service records
    2) had had no major problems
    3) been serviced at every 7500 interval and had had all recall issues tended to
    and 4) it had a December build date - at the tail end of the manufacture run

You will find in many posts that XC's built early on in 01 have many more problems than the cars built in the latter half of the MY.

In my experience, a car that hasn't had many problems, usualy won't have many problems throughout it's life.  So far so good, at least for the first 10K since I've aquired it.

And a second to everyone's tire comments.  Luckily, mine had a brand new set.

The service record will tell the tale.

...and a little luck  
    2001 Volvo V70 XC, Ash Gold, Taupe/Brown Leather Interior, Premium, Touring

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Clappernicus @ Mar. 24 2004,14:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(...) In my experience, a car that hasn&#39;t had many problems, usualy won&#39;t have many problems throughout it&#39;s life. (...)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I&#39;m with Clappernicus on that. I bought a early MY&#39;01 (built on 10/2000) with 73,000 km. I now have 89,000 km and so far so good with some expected maintenance issues, all of which are well described in many posts on this site. After all, it is a used car. I think the savings made with buying a used V70XC far outweigh even the cost of &quot;early&quot; repairs.

Anyway, watch for these:

- Get a complete maintenance record. I did and it&#39;s a big plus.
    - Check every (I mean all ) electronic/electric components on the car you consider (from electric seat to mirrors, everything...)
    - You&#39;ll read many topics about failing &quot;sway bar links&quot;. Chronic problem... .

Finally, and may I insist that is my very personal opinion, I wouldn&#39;t (and didn&#39;t) buy an extended warranty. Not only are they expensive, but the money you save can be used elsewhere. Better check for a lemon before you buy anyway&#33;

And BTW, cute name Pumkin Farmer &#33;
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!

Default Imported post

Raynald, I couldn&#39;t agree more. &nbsp;The extended warranty is a waste of money. &nbsp;What are the odds you are going to spend 1-3k on your car in the first two years (a range of prices for a 1-2 year warranty). &nbsp;And if somethign DOES go wrong, then the price should be close to the warranty price anyway. &nbsp;the probability that you will not use the full value of your warranty is greater than 50%.

i know different people have different views on this - this is an age old debate, but I&#39;d take my chances.

just to clarify, my MY01 was manufactured in 12/00 not 12/01. &nbsp;my bad.
    2001 Volvo V70 XC, Ash Gold, Taupe/Brown Leather Interior, Premium, Touring

Default Imported post

I&#39;d only do it if you can get/view the service records for the car. &nbsp;Mine was manufactured in July or August &#39;00 and it has been more than troublesome. &nbsp;One thing, I&#39;d pay particular attention to is the tires. &nbsp;Look through the records to see if the tires have been replaced. &nbsp;IF they are the original tires and are worn unevenly you may be getting a car in which the awd bevel gear is going to have a short lifespan. &nbsp;This is a very expensive repair. &nbsp;If you see lots of reported problems with a transmission flare or complaints of problems with the gear tronic or slips between 2nd and 3rd run away from the car.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Talking Imported post

I would be very careful on what part of the year your 01 was made. &nbsp;If it was the first part of the year - stay away - or ask for all service records from your dealer (if you don&#39;t have them with the car)&#33;

I want to save you all the grief I have put my wife thru with her Volvo XC 2001. &nbsp;Way to many problems to even write down.

Good luck on your buy decision - I hate to say this is our first and last Volvo - just way too unreliable&#33;&#33;&#33; &nbsp;I hate to say that since all my friends up north drive them and love theirs. &nbsp;Ours is just a plain LEMON (But White in color) - hehehe

Good luck&#33;&#33;&#33;