Thread: Newbie

Question Newbie

Just became a v70xc owner, after a number of years in 240s. Momma's 245 just flipped 250k, and we began to lose trust in it for long trips on cold winter days, so I just upgraded (?) her to a 1999 v70xc with 147k on it, for 2 grand. initial inspection and test drive seems to show working awd components and decent overall shape. I swore that i was going to avoid this model/year range, but the deal was there and it was half the money of a Subaru. So. I'm in it with full knowledge of the glass jaw awd setup, but not what to do about it to keep it going (besides removing it, which I don't want to do just yet) Anyone got an "ounce of prevention" to keep all four wheels turning before I start her off and running in this thing?

Oilspot
    '90 245 '93 245, '99 v70xc

Change ALL fluids, inspect the propshaft
    If it's leaking from anywhere, replace seals, change oil go over it thoroughly, do a stage 0 to it and (hopefully) enjoy it.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/what-is-stage-0.html

You probably already know, but Tires, Tires, Tires!
    That's the serious threat to a VC based AWD system.
    But in Maine? I think you'll like it. MUCH better than
    a 240 in ice and snow. Enjoy the ride!

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

fluids for sure!

transmission, and bevel gear fluids are super important. i'm new to my 2000 v70xc. its a great car. the bevel gear may just last if that fluid has been changed a couple of times already! check the tire wear, uneven tires will kill it also. but there is plenty of info on here about that. best of luck!

I guess I'm just dumb or lucky, but FWIW my 1998 V70XC currently has 253,000 miles on the odometer and other than replacing the seal on the bevel gear several years ago and replacing the driveshaft at 225k I have had zero problems with the AWD system. Glass jaw indeed!
    2010 XC70 3.2 Caper Green, PCC, BLIS, premium package, climate package.
    1998 V70XC 250K+, driven every day.
    1987 240DL wagon. Gone, but not forgotten.

wow redoak, this gives me some hope, did you buy yours new? All I've heard is bad news about this system, glad to hear someone is having good luck, or at realizing the result of good maintianence!

Yes, I bought this car 13 years ago last month and I couldn't be happier with it. I have never changed fluids in the bevel gear or the viscous coupler. I have had the transmission drained and flushed once at 200k. The following parts are all original: exhaust, all suspension parts except for sway bar links and front struts, radiator, A/C components, etc, etc. I think there are a lot of sweeping generalizations made on this and other sites that say this or that part always fails on this vehicle. Take such statements with a grain of salt. Any car that is poorly maintained or driven aggressively all the time will have higher failure rates.
    2010 XC70 3.2 Caper Green, PCC, BLIS, premium package, climate package.
    1998 V70XC 250K+, driven every day.
    1987 240DL wagon. Gone, but not forgotten.

I have put 15,000 mi on my xc in 8 months. The only AWD work I had done was a disconnected torque tube at around 147000 mi and it only cost around $250. It was a dream this past Chicago winter and I am going to test it out in the Rockies in a couple months.