Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    How long have you lived in Nova Scotia?! Every car that I have ever had here have had rear rotors do that and as a result I usually replace my rear rotors every 18 months.
    I have lived hear ten years, but this is my first car with rear discs.

Thanks for the encouragement on the DIY, but I am going to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. I was keen to do the rotors and pads, but the parking brake seems like the sort of project that might get a little complicated and, with only one car in our household, I can't make any quick runs for parts or tools without putting the car back together.
    2003 XC70 with 345,000 km (214,370 mi)

Hey Cheepo,

I have just finished a front rotor and pads replacement on my other Volvo (98 V70R Saffron) to pass inspection to register my car in Ontario from Alberta. I know different car but similar process, pretty easy DIY project, reserach the how-to instructions and voila, you'll be done in no time. Froggy

Quote Originally Posted by cheapo View Post
    I have lived hear ten years, but this is my first car with rear discs.
    Yeah, rear drums are a different story or at least you don't see the problem. I had a VW that had rear drums and they needed replaced for what amounted to the same type of problem. But because they were more sealed it just took longer (3 years or so).

Just kidding about your length of time here but if you just notice in any of the shopping mall parking lots in Nova Scotia, I'd bet 7-8 out of 10 cars have horrible looking rear discs. One of the things I noticed when I first moved here. I'm not sure that it is a safety inspection fail, but you have to figure that they are at least being looked at with raised eyebrows every 2 years. And as I said, for me it's like clockwork every 18 months I'm replacing a set of rear discs. It's crazy. I'd be interested in knowing if others who drive in a temperate maritime environment have the same problem.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12