Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Lovely pictures, it actually gave me a desire to do the same road trip with my 2000 V70 XC.

Awesome trip and some great pics!

We are scheduled to take the XC70 up the Alcan next year. My wife and I will be driving up from our place in Colorado to stay with her brother who lives just north of Fairbanks. Then we will head up to Prudhoe Bay. Very much looking forward to the trip.

I JUST got back from this same adventure! Drove from Flagstaff, Arizona to Anchorage, and then down to San Diego, and back again to Flagstaff. Almost 9,000 miles.

We took our time going up, but coming down, we got from Anchorage to San Diego in 4 days flat.

I wish I had a better quality camera than my smartphone...
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by mrslomo View Post
    You've captured some of the grandeurs of Alaska. What a fantastic drive! Did you return on the AK Marine Highway (aka State Ferry)? Love that horse in your car!

PS My avatar photo was taken at the AK Pipeline, Yukon River, just before the Arctic Circle. : )
    I did not take the ferry, where's the fun in that? Actually, we had considered it prior to departure but the ticket was more than the gas so we drove back as well.
    2002 Volvo V70XC | 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser | 2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 4MATIC | 1958 VW Beetle Type 1

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    You did it in 2 weeks. Wow, that gives me hope. I keep thinking I'll have to quit my job when I finally decide to drive the Alcan. A trip, incidentally, that is one motivation for my current XC70 search.

Great photos!
    From Seattle, it took me 3 nights and on the 4th day I reached Fairbanks. I spent 6 days in Alaska before headed back to Seattle. I drove about 10 hours a day, plus 2 hours shooting pictures, bio stops, meal, etc. If you can manage to take 2 weeks off, you can do this
    2002 Volvo V70XC | 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser | 2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 4MATIC | 1958 VW Beetle Type 1

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Incredible photos Ninja! Loved how you captured that essence of natural wilderness in the entire album.

It reminds me of a pre-XC road trip that we took up to Alaska back in '98. One of the more memorable moments of that trip was loading our car on to an open flat-deck auto train that took us through the tunnel from Portage to Whittier. That tunnel is now open to vehicular traffic.

Thanks for sharing!
    Whittier was on the itinerary but we ended up spending more time in Homer so we didn't get to go. But I want to do this again in the future so I'll go to places I could not go this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowboarder XC View Post
    Awesome trip and some great pics!

We are scheduled to take the XC70 up the Alcan next year. My wife and I will be driving up from our place in Colorado to stay with her brother who lives just north of Fairbanks. Then we will head up to Prudhoe Bay. Very much looking forward to the trip.
    Get "The Milepost" before you leave. It contains a wealth of information about the cities and places you'll drive through, gas stations, motels, stuffs to do, tips & tricks, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Milepost-2011-...2910146&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by ecbsykes View Post
    I JUST got back from this same adventure! Drove from Flagstaff, Arizona to Anchorage, and then down to San Diego, and back again to Flagstaff. Almost 9,000 miles.

We took our time going up, but coming down, we got from Anchorage to San Diego in 4 days flat.

I wish I had a better quality camera than my smartphone...
    Wow, some hardcore driving there! Although not all in once piece, I did drive through Death Valley, Joshua Tree National Park, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Sedona, Flagstaff, Barringer Crater, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and Zion National Park, all in 10 days prior to the Alcan drive.

There's much more to see in America!! And my XC just passed its 100,000 mile mark, so I got myself this:

...and this:

And thanks for all the kind comments, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Wow, some hardcore driving there! Although not all in once piece, I did drive through Death Valley, Joshua Tree National Park, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Sedona, Flagstaff, Barringer Crater, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and Zion National Park, all in 10 days prior to the Alcan drive.

There's much more to see in America!! And my XC just passed its 100,000 mile mark, so I got myself this:
    I just discovered that website, but hadn't noticed the Alaska Hwy sticker! Just bought one!

Sounds like a great drive you had! I know I'll remember the Alcan drive for a long time.
    Last edited by ecbsykes; 08-09-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast