Default coolant color question

Howdy,

Planning to purchase an XC at some point in the near future and have been looking at a few online adds. Now, I know these cars are supposed to run an appropriate modern coolant. I've noticed some pictures showing a car w/ green coolant. From the photo it appears to be a deeper green than the flourescent green of old school generic anti-freeze. I'm used to such coolants being either pink/purple but have not seen green. If I see a car with under 100k not running Volvo coolant, that raises some flags.

What color is the appropriate Volvo coolant?

Mine is green...

I think the coolant worries are overblown. Late model cars have radiators with much reduced chance of coolant precipitate clogging and almost a guaranteed replacement due to plastic end tank or hose neck cracking. The plastic fails regard less of the coolant within. Back a few years ago ther were high silicate coolants and Volvo specified low silicate. Now all coolants I know of on shelves in US are low silicate as that is what has been spec'd for several years by all.

Volvo coolant is Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) coolant. These coolants are colored green.

Pink/red coolant is an Organic Acid Technology /Phosphate coolant typically used in Asian vehicles.
    Last edited by sjonnie; 08-03-2011 at 08:36 AM.

When I replaced my coolant I used Zerex G-05 which claims to be HOAT but it is yellow.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    Volvo coolant is Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) coolant. These coolants are colored green.
    Darker Green than your basic old fashioned green coolant?

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    Pink/red coolant is an Organic Acid Technology /Phosphate coolant typically used in Asian vehicles.
    As an aside. VW/Audi G12+ is also pink, that is what I am familiar with.

Bummer to learn about the consumable radiator; I wouldn't say it is normal for late model cars as I have 2 late model cars w/ over 200k and no radiator problems whatsoever. I had seen posts on this board about radiator replacement but assumed it would be unusual. A radiator isn't something you want going bad in the middle of long trip. At what age/mileage to these radiators tend to fail? I take a lot of long trips and usually like to replace known failure parts before they fail...especially a critical part that can leave you stranded.

The Volvo coolant is discernably blue, it is no where near the flourescent green color of regular Prestone, etc
    96 850 glt (deceased @260k?)
    02 V70XC 120k (traded)
    09 S80 39k
    10 VW Croutan 17k
    98 Chevy K1500 4x 84k
    67 Pont Lemans convt
    09 Chevy Tahoe PPV

The volvo fluid i have bought and flushed my coolant with has always been blue

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

My Volvo dealer topped up my car's coolant with green stuff a few days ago!!!!

Thanks guys. I could see how blue could easily appear dark green when viewing online photos, especially if the overflow tank has discolored slightly.