Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question First scheduled transmission service?

First volvo with this transmission in it. I did not receive a manual, And am having trouble locating the service intravals. What is the first scheduled tranny flush?

Quote Originally Posted by stupidloose View Post
    First volvo with this transmission in it. I did not receive a manual, And am having trouble locating the service intravals. What is the first scheduled tranny flush?
    Never.

But you should do a flush about every 30k miles
    2001 V70XC (132K)
    1993 940 (247K)
    2002 S60 T5M (200K)

Thank you, This car has 70,000 miles on it so I will flush it asap.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidloose View Post
    Thank you, This car has 70,000 miles on it so I will flush it asap.
    I wouldn't do a power flush with that many miles. I'd do the Gibbons method, or a few drain and fills
    2001 V70XC (132K)
    1993 940 (247K)
    2002 S60 T5M (200K)

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Tranny flush

I recognize that virtually everyone suggests a very frequent interval for this tranny. However, I can't help but feel we may be overly conservative. I did my first flush at 200,000 km (130,000 miles) and the tranny has been fine both before and afterwards.

I believe this is an Aisin unit which is a Toyota company. I asked my Toyota dealer and he said they only change the fluid every 100,000 km (including in the AWD units) and it could go longer than that without any cause for concern.

It never hurts to exceed the service intervals, but I think this unit is quite a bit more robust than the pre-2003 model.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

That's BS
    Toyota recommends every 30K

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    That's BS
    Toyota recommends every 30K
    Go to http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php and find me a single vehicle where it says the transmission fluid should be changed at 30K. It doesn't, it consistently says "Inspect transmission fluid". By the time you get to 60k with some vehicles operating under heavy load it will finally suggest you replace the transmission fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    Go to http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php and find me a single vehicle where it says the transmission fluid should be changed at 30K. It doesn't, it consistently says "Inspect transmission fluid". By the time you get to 60k with some vehicles operating under heavy load it will finally suggest you replace the transmission fluid.
    Hmmm, that' s interesting, isn't it? I notice that with Camrys, which I was lead to believe have AW 55 series trannies, the early models (MY2002) recommend a change of auto fluid at 30K miles if under heavy use but by MY2007 that recommendation has been dropped. What's weird is that, the manual gearboxes are recommended to be changed at that mileage if subjected to heavy use. I've seen very few recommendations like that over the years.

Although I would tend to agree that we are being overly conservative in regard to Volvo trannies, I have to say that it does seem to help on mine and I change mine out at 30K kms (dump and fill). Its ridiculous and a real downside, but what can you do?

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    I will rephrase
    LEXUS said to me (same tranny) that they recommend drain and fills every 30K miles.
    This was in 2006 or 2007
    They were not trying to sell me it, as the mileage on my Lexus at the time was about 45K, I just asked because of the Volvo issues that were cropping up then.
    I have known this dealership and service manager since 1989 when I bought a lexus the month after they came out and they would tell me the truth

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I will rephrase
    ... as the mileage on my Lexus at the time was about 45K,
    JRL,

you were driving a Lexus. SACRILEGE
    John, '01 V70 T5
    '04 V70 2.5T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast