Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Please explain something to me...
    I understand the concern about the difference in tire sizes on our vehicles, but I don't understand the lack of attention that many people have to the tire pressure. I figure a significantly low tire on one side driven for too long can have the same disasterous effect as as tires being significantly "out of size"- perhaps even more so...

I check my tires everytime I fuel up- that way I can catch a problem before it starts- I've found screws and such in the tire this way.

The challenging thing about chaging a flat tire when out on the road isn't changing it itself or even safely getting off the road- the worst danger is from other drivers hitting you or the car while you're changing it- no matter where you pull off- even in a parking lot.
    *2005 Ice White XC70
    444K miles and...well...
    Driving the 08 V70 right now.

"Ah! There is nothing like the smell of burning British electrical components in the morning!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightt View Post
    I check my tires everytime I fuel up- that way I can catch a problem before it starts- I've found screws and such in the tire this way.
    That's great but most times when I'm fueling tire pressure readings won't mean too much. Tire pressure must be checked when the tire hasn't been driven more than a mile or two or hasn't been sitting in the sun. A really good time to take a tire pressure reading is right after a car wash, when the tire has cooled somewhat. First thing in the morning is also great - if you remember!

My current Toyo Open Country H/Ts are set to 32psi cold (morning temp), but after driving they'll be 40psi or more depending on the ambient temperature. So I guess you could check that they are all at a similar pressure and if not suspect that one had a problem.

News flash, pressures will not do down in a car wash, not enough for a proper reading
    Either within the first 2 miles of morning driving or a cool down of at least 4 hours in the summer, one-two hours in the winter

Most Tire shops will not plug a puncture anymore either due to actual safety concerns or liability concerns.
    I had a bolt in one of my 2003 P-ST's, went to the Tire Shop and of course, they won't plug it which is probably the correct decision. Ordered one new P-ST and didn't give it a second thought. Went through two set's of P-ST's, noisy but capable off road! Discontinued!
    Riding on Nokian WR GR SUV's for now until I replace with something else due to wear.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Dick - please let us all know how many miles you get out of the WR G2s. I am estimating 35K on mine based on wear to date. I love the Nokians, they are rotated and wearing smoothly, but this car seems to wear tires quickly, the Yokohamas on it previously wore out in 30K too...

thanks,
    Astro
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I had to replace two Nokian's on the 2003 already at about 12K miles for uneven wear.
    The Nokian WR G2's on the 1999 are gone also for uneven wear problems. The 1999 now wears Michelin MxV4's. No more Nokian's for me.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

28,000 on my Nokians. They are wearing poorly and will be replaced prior to this winter season. Sorely disappointed. Dealer is prorateing them--looking into a set of Michellins.

I keep reading about poor mileage reported for tires on the XC. I have a set of Toyo Eclipse tires that will be replaced this fall at 55K to 60K miles. I wonder if the increased mileage is due to their H rating as compared to the V rating of the OEM type tires?

Maybe V rated tires have softer rubber, or maybe people who want the higher rated tires drive more aggressively? My original Scorpions lasted only 30K miles so the driver may not matter so much.

I don't mean to restart the discussion about whether lower rated tires are safe but rather am interested in why there is such a range of mileage among the reports on this site.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Try a set of General Altimax
    Nice tire
    Inexpensive
    96 load rating
    A Best buy and very highly rated on TireRack
    and...they're VERY QUIET!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12