Default Transmission interchangeability

I picked up a 2000 V70 xc se with a snapped timing belt. I pulled the trouble codes prior to the head replacement and they were:
    p0756 shift solenoid b ckt performance or stuck off
    P0722 output speed sensor circuit no signal
    P0721 output speed sensor circuit range/perf
    P0734 gear 4 ratio incorrect
    P1618 manf. Cntrl aux in/out

I cleaned the pnp and repaired the abs unit but the p0734 code remains. I did a couple drain and refills but the code keeps returning, triggering limp mode. I read a post on volvospeed where a guy claims it's a needle bearing failure from dirty fluid which triggers the p0734 code. The fluid in the tranny was quite nasty. I'm about to purchase a used transmission unless I'm missing something. I have a lead on a unit from a 99 v70 xc. Will it work in my 00? I didn't locate an answer through searching.

Yes

The 99 box will work. 98 works too if the two speed sensors are exchanged for 99-2000 sensors.
    Does the gearbox ever work right? Does 4th gear slip?

The codes for sensor go hand in hand with the wrong gear ratio code.
    The output sensor is the one back on top of gearbox by oxygen sensor connectors.
    Pull it out and see if it has metal filings on it. Putting it in park with it moving and chipping a tooth can cause this too.

Thanks guys! I'll check the sensor and report back. Is there a check I can perform with a multi-meter to determine if the sensor is within spec?
    The car runs and drives fine until I reach 55+mph. No slipping that I have noticed. It just quickly falls into limp mode. Driving around slowly the light never comes on. I reset the codes with a scanner and all is well again until I get up to speed. Perhaps it happens upon shifting to 4th.

You have more than a sensor issue and it may be too far gone now
    Driving with these issues packs these trannies in quite quickly
    Just happened to me.
    I thought I was going to be replacing one shift solenoid and in 100 miles it just blew up!
    (and with only 100K miles)

I removed and cleaned two sensors. Both had accumulated metal shavings and greasy residue. I took it for a drive and the flashing arrow and check engine light came on in less than 2 minutes. I didn't even reach 40mph. The codes were as expected: p0734 and p1618
    Reckon' it's "new" tranny time unless anyone has another idea...
    When I pick up the used tranny I plan on removing the solenoid cover and testing the units prior to installation. I'll use high quality synthetic aft and hope the transmission I'm purchasing doesn't fall victim to the same fate. Any and all advice appreciated.

Heath I sent you a PM. I also live in NC and have the same car with the same transmission problem.
    Last edited by tr_car_nut; 08-07-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: syntax
    2000 XC70 108K miles (transmission swap, heater core, timing belt)
    1999 S70 156k
    2003 S40 181k