Default Now Power Steering Issue, need help, AAAARGH!

Ok, I just got my car back on the road as per my BG bypass post. When the car came off the road there were no Power steering issues....now (maybe due to 95 degree + temps) I am getting a serious moan or groan out the PS.

It is not the belt. It only comes on when the wheel is turned or held against some slight pressure. No noise when sitting or driving except when making a slow speed turn and the wheel is being turned.

PS fluid is "foaming" in the resrvoir. Not sure if this is normal...doesn't seem right though. No loss of power steering fluid or leaks, EXCEPT there seems to be some consistent weeping around the Cap.

Any suggestions? Is it the rack, the pump? Something else.

I am getting to the point where I am thinking of buying a couple of hundred feet of bailing wire and several roles of duct tape.....I can't keep this thing together, every time I fix something, something else breaks....

If I can't get this sorted I may need to put it to sleep....but it kills me since I have already replaced so much....I have a brand new propshaft with 750 miles on it that has gone to waste.........

so far in the last 90 or so days:

Propshaft
    Control Arms
    End Links
    Radiator
    Hoses
    Bevel Gear
    Brakes/rotors ALL around(I know regular maintenance)
    RF caliper
    rear washer pump
    RF Axle
    LF Axle
    All Axle Seals
    Emergency brake cables
    emergency brake pads
    hood latch
    Accumulator is Bad, ordered replacement.......
    other stuff I know I can't remember

I am thinking of installing a 32" flat panel on the under carriage since I live under there...................
    Last edited by 8pack; 07-11-2011 at 08:03 AM.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Quasi helping here, but my 95 Impreza had a leaky steering rack and it didn't moan or "foam" in the reservoir. Frothing liquid usually means air is some how being introduced to the liquid, which to me would point the pump.

I know it's a different car all together but I figured it might be worth noting. Good luck.

I wash engines in vehicles I do major work on and with a pressure washer and even with garden hose sprayer I end up getting water into reservoir.
    The water in fluid causes that noise in those situations. Did you wash engine?
    Even absent water contamination you still describe what happens when the fluid is fouled. Fouled fluid absorbs gases and outgassing makes foamy fluid which makes pump growl/
    Flush p/s fluid before you get too worried about the more complicated expensive things to change.

Good feedback from you guys. You both are right I think. I went to my indie to get his opinion. He said to suck the resrvoir dry and fill it back up with Lucas power steering leak stop. He says it works every time!

He said the foaming was most likely air being introduced somewhere and it was likely the pump. He thought the Lucas would likely "fix" it.

He was right. The old fluid was really brown and dirty and thin. I don't think it has ever been changed. About 20 ounces came out. I will probably drain it and refill it once more in a week.

Drove it about 5 miles and it is quiet, no groaning etc. Hopefully that is it for awhile...

Either of you guys ever changed an Accumulator or know how to use the AC line removal tool......? That's next...
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139