Default Help is needed for diagnosis software

Hi guys,

I am a new proud owner of 2001 V70XC. But coming with the package are a handful of problems. Check engine light is on, SRS light is on, transmission shifts very roughly, 2 to 3 gear is almost unbearable, AC, heated seats, radio, none of the above works. The only thing makes me happy is that the car is cheap and it is in a good shape.

I have been searching quite a bit online and now I have VADIS and VOL-FCR 1.3 installed on my laptop. It seems like VOL-FCR 1.3 only supports 90s volvo. My questions is:

What software or scanner should I get in order to check and reset engine, transmission codes?

Thank you all and your help is highly appreciated.

Wow, you and I have a very different definition of "good shape!"

Your transmission needs to be rebuilt, and half the electrical system is already failing!

In order to read ALL the codes, including the proprietary Volvo codes, you need a DiCE tool, which can interface with VADIS / VIDA (newer version of VADIS). There are some cheap(er) Chinese knock-offs that some have reported some success with. Google around and search the forums.
    Toby
    2008 S80 T6 AWD Black Stone / Anthracite Black 85k miles
    2008 XC90 V8 Ember Black / Offblack 100k miles
    SOLD: 2005 XC70 Lava Sand / Taupe 176k miles
    Sammamish, Washington

BSR is best i've seen next to owning VIDA/VICE, as it can access volvo specific modules, and even erase the dreaded SRS code (once source is fixed of course). http://en.bsr.se/products/503450/

Otherwise, any-other-code-reader (Actron, etc.) will suffice for the most basic duty of reading basic codes.

Dead or worn out batterys have also been known to throw a plethora of codes - many of which you have mentioned.
    If not, I hope you got the car cheap!

many thanks guys. yes i got the car for cheap. It is just a project for me after work.