Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question P0102 p0333 p0014 p0300 p0303 p0301

Hi all,
    Can anyone shed some light on this
    1. V70XC 2001
    2 110.000 miles
    3. New timing belt (5 months)
    4. Oil change last week
    5. Negative crankcase ventilation, balloons rubber glove (dirty PCV)
    6. CEL, Engine Service Required message.

Problems have been progressing slowly over the last 3 months or so and are, loss of power, intermitent rough idle, stalling at low speed and some times just dying at idle speed (traffic lights).

Got this readout from the CarChip that I just bought the other day,
    2.6.2012 13:21 P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
    2.6.2012 13:21 P0333 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit High (Bank 2)
    2.6.2012 13:21 P0014 B Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
    2.6.2012 13:22 P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    2.6.2012 13:22 P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
    2.6.2012 13:22 P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

Cleaned out most the oily/crumbled harness mess from under the cam cover and swapped coil no.3 for no.5 and no.1 for no.3 and ran a short trip again and came back with the same readout.

2.6.2012 14:39 P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
    2.6.2012 14:39 P0333 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit High (Bank 2)
    2.6.2012 14:39 P0014 B Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
    2.6.2012 14:39 P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    2.6.2012 14:39 P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
    2.6.2012 14:39 P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

So I can rule out the coils right ?
    Has anyone have the camshaft position sensor go bust, and are these the symptoms ? I feel they are all related somehow.
    Going to clean the PCV and see what happens (not really optimistic)
    Any info and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Frosty
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -

-Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.-

If this car has the Magneti Marelli ETM (I don't know what 01 V70XC in Iceland corresponds to in US cars), probably want to run an ETM test at the dealer or someone with VIDA/DiCE diag tool.

Cleaned the MAF? If you have access to a working MAF, might try that. Most of these MAFs don't seem to trigger codes when they go bad.

Changed the gas filter? Heard about some badly clogged gas filter lately.

Clear the PCV, there is a neat trick I plan to try this weekend

- remove airpipe+ETM (Might as well clean it). Need a new ETM gasket for reinstall.
    - pull hose from banjo bolt nipple
    - 2mm drill bit to clear the likely clogged 2mm channel
    - pressurized air or stick to clear the hose

Here is a note from a couple of Volvo techs on this nice trick without doing most of the PCV system.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...c/#entry759758
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Thank you howardc64

Well here is an update, car ran extremely bad yesterday, hesitating and dyeing at every stop running at idle, and this morning wouldn't run at all, the starter turns the motor just fine and it almost runs an then it dies again, had the CarChip plugged in the car an it gave same error code twice:
    6.6.2012 08:05 P0014 B Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
    6.6.2012 08:06 P0014 B Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
    Go figure, just called my trusty Independent Volvo guy and gave him the particulars and at first he said that it could be a number of things including the MAF (itīs only 6 monthīs old) and asked me to bring the car in to check it out, but when he heard that the car wouldn't run at all he irremediably said "its the cam position sensor", I asked him if it could be the vvc mechanism and he said he only once had to change that on a V70XC but many times on the V40, so Iīm betting on the CPS, the dealer did not have it in stock so I ordered it on Ebay (part no.9202134) for 1/4 of the dealer price this morning so I have to wait a few days to find out.

In the meantime Iīm going to do the MAF and PCV cleaning that you wrote about, have been meaning to do that for some time and now is the perfect opportunity.

By the way the car is a US import so itīs exactly the same car that you guys drive in the states.
    Will update when I get the part.

Best regards Frosty
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -

Cam position sensor went out on my 850 - it's not uncommon...

I don't think that the VVT goes out very often, I wouldn't even consider doing that until the cam sensor is in, the MAF is checked and every thing else is eliminated...even then, I would pull the cover and see if it has a screen that can be cleaned (many do, including my Corolla's).
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Well I cleaned out the ETM last weekend and cleared the nipple on the banjo bolt and the hose that runs from that to the PCV, it was all dirty and clogged, used new gasket and put some petroleum jelly on the charged air pipe and it went on quite snugly.

Got the CPSensor yesterday and put it in, not hard after you remove the torque bar but the wiring for the sensor is a bitch to unwind so I just left the old sensor and wiring loose for the time being.

Car starts first time no problem so I think it was the sensor, BUT it runs rely rough at idle, feels like misfiring all over the place but smooths out at higher RPMīs and does not throw any codes that I can find with the CarChip after several restarts, and no CEL, I removed the temperature and the pressure sensors from the charged air pipe and cleaned them, no scraping or poking just sprayed them with cleaner, now I am thinking perhaps I shouldn't have done that, seems to be the only variable except for removing and cleaning the ETM, I will try to do a starter spray test on the ETM and vacume lines today.

Any ideas anyone ?
    Last edited by FrostyV70XC; 06-12-2012 at 06:10 AM.
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -

Take it to a VOLVO dealer, this is above your mechanic's head.
    Did it run OK after the timing belt was installed? If so, for how long
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks JRL, the timing belt was done in early October 2011 and the MAF was renewed at the same time, b.t.w. forgive my ignorance, if timing is off a tooth or two would that not have shown up sooner and not be intermittent ?

The car was running just fine until about 2 months ago, it all started when one Saturday morning after about a 10 km run, and after stopping for about 10-15 minutes it would start, but behaved very badly very irregular and rough idle would not increse RPM when stepping on the throttle, and then would just choke it self (felt like timing was of), did this about 4 or 5 times, I let it sit for about 3 minutes and then it started up again just fine, this did not happen again for about 3 or 4 weeks, then it started to happen now and then again and has been increasing steadily until now it all came to a stop.
    The fore mentioned mechanic used to work for the only Volvo dealership here in Reykjavik until he started his own shop 15 years ago I think, he has seen many Volvo's and seems to be very competent, but is he able to resolve every issue ?, remains to be seen.

Best Regards.
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -

UPDATE:
    Just came in from spraying starting fluid around the ETM area, definite difference in idle and RPM, engine is sucking that stuff in.
    Will have to rethink my assembly skills, it seemed to go pretty smoothly.
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -

Sounds like a leak around the ETM assembly.

Its tricky to get the 4 bolts through the gasket holes. I thread the 4 bolts into the manifold a little bit and feel if the all 4 bolts went through the gasket holes.

On fitting the air pipe, it is much easier doing it this way

- Fit the intercooler end on first. This will give you lateral alignment on the ETM end.
    - loosen the clamp on the fitting to the ETM and let it dangle on the U part of the air pipe. You need to check by feel the pipe fits all the way up on the ETM. Moving the clamp out of the way helps.

I even folded about 3mm of the air pipe fitting once performing ETM clean. I only found it later on the PCV job.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Almost done redoing the ETM, the gasket was completely mangled and folded over I cant believe I got it on this way, now I got myself a mirror and a good small fluorescent light, much easier, and I used good sturdy tape (donīt use masking tape it will tear) to hold down the gasket in 2 places, on the front and on the right side, left a good tab for a good grip for easy removal when I had started the bolts, I used a small rechargeable Bosch screwdriver with a short 10mm socket attachment and I used some sticky stuff (chewingum, flavor doesnīt matter) to hold the bolts in the socket and I used a bungee cord around the intake manifold and ETM for easy alignment, threaded the bolts first time, fingers crossed.
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast