Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmmm, no AWD

Default Hmmm, no AWD

Our 2004 XC 70 decided it didn't want to climb our driveway to the farm all of a sudden. No rear wheel drive. It has 81,000 on the clock. Fuse 17 in the rear was good. A quick scan with my standard code scan showed nothing. What would the next logical thing or two be to check?

Sounds like the splines on the collar connecting the bevel gear to the transmission are stripped. If you are not having any unusual noises out of the bevel gear or viscous coupler I would bet on the stripped splines........

Put it up on jack stands and verify the back wheels are not turning.......
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione, Black Leather 17k miles
    2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 200k miles
    2001 Honda Accord V6 SE - 82k miles - Steady reliable transport
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Haldex pressure sensor comes to mind

So, am i correct that if I toss the car up on some stands- if I have an angle gear or spline issue the shaft won't turn - even with no load.And if the shaft turns, it is in the rear axle - possibly a pressure sensor?

Easier to have the codes read at Volvo

If there are codes, I agree with JRL. But putting it up on stands takes 10 minutes and if you can perform the check it gives your something to point the repair shop at....
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione, Black Leather 17k miles
    2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 200k miles
    2001 Honda Accord V6 SE - 82k miles - Steady reliable transport
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

I've not had my scan tool on this car before. It is a somewhat basic ~ $150 Actron. No codes were found or defective modules were shown, but then again- I don't know how deep this can go. Didn't spend much time with it. I had the proprietary software w/ my VW, but not ever Volvo. Some night this week, I'll give it a look and report back. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

You have to have the car read at Volvo, no buy it at Pep Boys scan tool can read these propriatory codes.
    and if the pressure sensor is bad (cheap to replace compared to all the other AWD issues) the same thing happens, no drive to the rear wheels

Default Just had mine replaced 3months ago

Jack all four wheels off the ground, turn off the traction control (make sure light is off) and put the car in first or D and fronts should turn. If your splines are good then your drive shaft should turn, if not they are bad and rounded over (not cheap to change, but can almost be done at most indep. euro shops). If the drive shaft turns then the rear diff is not turning on, the drive shaft should always be turning, the back diff. decides the AWD.

Need both angle gear & angle gear seal in this fix, along with fluid, the right tools, and lots of gasket sealant.
    http://www.swedishautoparts.com/XC90...d-gaskets.html
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17409
    2006 xc90 AWD 2.5T 7pass. Black 208hp - for snow & oh so slow
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT Stryker Blue 385hp - for show & hell it will GO

Should I be hoping you're correct on the the spline being spun on the collar? I put her up in the air and the rear prop shaft is not turning. I didn't go any further for now. Am I able to see enough to tell if there is output from the angle gear and see it spinning in the collar? As far as noises, a short time back the misses noted an abnormal noise as she started to back up. When I road tested it, I thought maybe it was the start of the rear suspension links starting to make a bit of noise- seeing as though its a 7 y/o car. No gear noise however. I look at the angle gear when I do the oil changes and there isn't a drip- maybe an appearance of a seep starting. I was going to have the gear serviced when the timing belt gets done. Thoughts so far? How much on time and costs if it is the collar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast