Unhappy replacing 13T with 16T TURBO

My 13T Turbo went out on me on my 2000 V70XC, contacted Cherry Turbos and Est. of $650 to rebuild due to a bad center rotating housing assembly (CHRA). I have found a 16T a lot cheeper, but have seen info about having to upgrade my map sensor or something. Is this a direct swap, and do i have to do some mod's/upgrade???

Just make sure the replacement turbo has the same directioned flange.

So are you saying that if the angle is correct then bolt it on and go?

Default Volvo turbo

If the exhaust exducer flange is the same (some straight, some angled) then, yes it will bolt on. I replaced my Wife's TD04L-14T with a -16T (both angled of course) and the only real problem was the coolant hole plugs (there are two on each side so it can be fitted to a # of vehicles) had to be swapped out to the other side. With the bigger turbo she gets about 2 MPG better if she does not nail it. It will spin the front tires if you punch it (which is annoying and expensive) but I have the boost set like factory. There is no perceivable boost lag, but it required a different Intake exducer hose due to a shorter length of aluminium.
    This will be the fourth bigger turbocharger I have put onto a car from the stock Volvo one and I have no regrets. The little mit-suck-bishi's are too small stock and if you crank up the boost at all you want to go up a size or three. Even driving "nice" my Wife's -14T started puffing out oil from the exhaust at low speed and high VAC (worn seals) at 82,000 miles. That would never have happened if it had been a 16T, 17T, or 18T. From my experience ANY same sized Garrett lasts longer. If you ever rebuild one sometime you will see the Garrett bearings are almost twice as big. The less custom stainless exhaust fabricating you have to do the better.
    You'll have a Coolant in and a coolant out line (banjo style). You will have the oil in (top) and oil return (bottom) line. 4 bolts/nuts hold the turbocharger on. Don't forget to mark the VAC/PSI lines so you don't mix 'em up.
    PS: If you are paranoid like me, Please, double check to make sure you did not leave any paper towels (used to keep dirt, wasps, dropped crap out) or drop anything into the turbo before you connect the lines. DO NOT rev motor upon start-up. Just let it idle until you see there are no leaks (this gives time to make sure turbocharger bearings are wet and turbine is not spinning fast until they are. I always put as many drops of CLEAN oil as the turbo will take BEFORE hooking up the drained out oil feed line (it will drip out of bottom square hole return line).
    Good luck. Double check EVERYTHING before you start it for the first time!

Quote Originally Posted by lasinastar View Post
    My 13T Turbo went out on me on my 2000 V70XC, contacted Cherry Turbos and Est. of $650 to rebuild due to a bad center rotating housing assembly (CHRA). I have found a 16T a lot cheeper, but have seen info about having to upgrade my map sensor or something. Is this a direct swap, and do i have to do some
    mod's/upgrade???
    You also will need larger (green) injectors and preferably a tune
    Please read this post;
    http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...o-i-need-to-do

Default Bigger injectors?

I had a Naturally aspired engine (better comp ratio) in a turbo wagon with a T3/T4 hybrid pushing 18 to 22 PSIG with the original (crappy) intercooler. The system will handle MUCH more variation than you think. Bigger injectors=waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    You also will need larger (green) injectors and preferably a tune
    Please read this post;
    http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...o-i-need-to-do
    Not necessary for the big Green injectors.
    I am using the white injectors with the 16T and they're fine.
    White or Blue are ok.

Orange = change
    White = good
    Blue = better
    Green = best
    Last edited by Ocean Racer; 07-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvophile View Post
    I had a Naturally aspired engine (better comp ratio) in a turbo wagon with a T3/T4 hybrid pushing 18 to 22 PSIG with the original (crappy) intercooler. The system will handle MUCH more variation than you think. Bigger injectors=waste of money.
    Not true. Was this on an 850/x70 ME4.x?

Did you do any sort of data logging to confirm what your injector duty cycle was, I'm betting it wasn't pretty.

I get 75% injector duty cycle @ WOT on 700cc injectors running 22psi on a Garrett 60-1 compressor.

'98 V70XC/446AWHP/347WTq / M66 AWD/ Built RN Motor/ Dual VVT head/Enem Cams/TurboTuner ECU/1000cc injectors/ LGSpeed Header/ Custom Intake Manifold/PTE 6262bb + 3" DP/ FMIC/ Water Injection/ 3" intake pipe/ Greddy BOV/ Apexi AVC-R /Column 3-pod: AEM AFR meter/ Dual Boost/Pyrometer/ IPD Sways/ IPD endlinks/ Kaplhenke AWD Suspension/ 18" Motegi 116/ IPD BBK/ Rear Custom BBK/ 3" dual 14834 Magnaflows/ EST H/L's/ SharpHID Hi/Lo&Fogs 4500K/60-100 in 4.3sec 1/4 mile 110mph

Default cool 4 u

What I said was 100% true and not some BS from a guy whose cousin knows a dude that did it. It was a 1990 745 Turbo wagon (the good old days). I got tired of replacing mitsubishi turbos after cranking up the boost to 12-15 PSIG, so I bolted a Garrett t3 with a t4 on. Holy cow, talk about a difference. Everything was ported, but injectors were the stock green ones that come with the car. I took off mafifolds and put a 1993 940 N/A (non turbo) engine in it with 9.8:1 instead of the turbo's 8.7:1 conp ratio......
    It would go sideways with a G80 (govern-lock, eaton posi) at 19 PSIG and the original intercooler in the high dessert durring summertime(which it always seemed to be)
    At around 22PSIG is was....kind of hard on head gaskets.HAHAHAHHA
    Been there done it. Don't need permission or proof from anyone.
    PS: car had 130K when I bought it with a broken odometer......wires in back. The newer engine (1993) had the oil squired pistons, bla,bla,bla.
    Original cooked at 115K after coolant light came on (summer) and had it shut off in 20 sec or less....tooooooooooooooo late.
    You can think that I'm FOS if ya want to but I test the stuff for real in a real environment-not listen to some shmuck who sells the parts to tell me what I "need".
    The 1993 cd changing stereo plugged right in BTW.
    I "thought" AWD would be great, and so I bought the "R" model.....too bad it wasn't RWD