Default Day Running Lamp Failure. Help!!

My Mom owns a 2004 Volvo XC70. Both of her headlights suddenly went out at the same time. Her trip computer says "Bulb Failure Day Running Lamp" and at night it says "Bulb Failure Low Beam" but the both lights don't work with anything. The brights don't work, the only thing that works are the parking lights and fog lights. I replaced both fuses which were burnt and I tried it again but no luck. It's hard to believe that both headlights would fail at the same exact time. Can someone help me with this issue? We really don't want to take the Volvo in to the shop AGAIN.

A two-pack of bulbs is $20...seems to me to be a cheap experiment in troubleshooting...

You didn't say whether or not the high beams work, but you've got to get this resolved before she drives at night and ends up in an accident because she can't see or be seen...she might get a ticket as well...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    A two-pack of bulbs is $20...seems to me to be a cheap experiment in troubleshooting...

You didn't say whether or not the high beams work, but you've got to get this resolved before she drives at night and ends up in an accident because she can't see or be seen...she might get a ticket as well...

The high beams don't work either.. I don't know if it's the entire headlight or not. The only things that work are the parking lights.. Is the pack of bulbs that are $20 the halogen or xenon headlights? My Mom's are the Xenon versions.

Quote Originally Posted by ajtomasik View Post
    I replaced both fuses which were burnt and I tried it again but no luck. It's hard to believe that both headlights would fail at the same exact time. Can someone help me with this issue? We really don't want to take the Volvo in to the shop AGAIN.
    Find the source of your short circuit and the lights will work again. Could be anything from an exposed wire to a broken switch. Remove the light bulbs themselves and looks for a connection to ground in the wiring somewhere.

Xenon is a whole different animal...since you didn't say, I was talking about the standard halogen...SJonnie is right - it's a short, and there is ballast and relays for the Xenon that I've never dealt with...good luck.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Default Bulb failure XC-90

Quote Originally Posted by ajtomasik View Post
    My Mom owns a 2004 Volvo XC70. Both of her headlights suddenly went out at the same time. Her trip computer says "Bulb Failure Day Running Lamp" and at night it says "Bulb Failure Low Beam" but the both lights don't work with anything. The brights don't work, the only thing that works are the parking lights and fog lights. I replaced both fuses which were burnt and I tried it again but no luck. It's hard to believe that both headlights would fail at the same exact time. Can someone help me with this issue? We really don't want to take the Volvo in to the shop AGAIN.
    I had the same problem this evening on my 2004 XC-90 with Bi-Zenon. Turns out it was a 15 amp fuse in the drivers compartment on the left side of the dash. I don't know where it would be on the XC-70 but this compartment is different than the one under the hood (which also has fuses for the headlights). Replacing the fuse turned on the Zenon's but I still have a problem with the daytime running lights which I suspect MAY be related to the day/night sensor. Good luck!