Default "Official Original Owners Thread"

My '99 V70XC turned twelve recently prompting me to create this thread. If you're an original owner too, take a bow and tell your story.
    Last edited by I-Su.Yu; 04-15-2011 at 08:47 AM.

'06 XC70 Ruby Red (100K)
    '99 V70XC Blue (gone) 3rd ETM

Default Original owner V70XC

We bought our 1998 V70XC in August of 1998 after our 1987 240 DL wagon (also purchased new) was "totaled" by the other driver's insurance company. Although the car was in great shape before the accident, because of it's age and mileage of 200K, the insurance co. deemed the cost of repair to exceed it's value. The car was still drivable, leaked no fluids and we were able to drive it 100 miles home from the site of the accident. Because of our very positive experience with the '87, it was a foregone conclusion that we would buy another Volvo.
    1998 was the first year for the AWD V70XC. At the time my wife and I were commuting 100 miles round trip to work and winter weather presented some driving challenges. Our daily drive included 3 miles of gravel road through three townships in 2 counties before we got to a state highway and it was always a crapshoot as to whether the roads would be plowed or cindered after a storm. The AWD eliminated most of the white-knuckle stress out of the commute. The AWD has always worked flawlessly. The only drivetrain repair has been a new driveshaft.
    The odometer now reads 249,000 miles, so we're looking forward to reaching the 1/4 million mile mark in a week or two. I know that's nowhere near Irv Gordon's P1800, but we're still proud of the service this V70XC has given us during the past 12 1/2 years
    Although we purchased a 2010 XC70 a year ago, we still drive the '98 every day to the gym, grocery store etc. In spite of reserving the 2010 for longer trips, we have managed to put 16K on it during it's first year.
    2010 XC70 3.2 Caper Green, PCC, BLIS, premium package, climate package.
    1998 V70XC 250K+, driven every day.
    1987 240DL wagon. Gone, but not forgotten.

Default Another Original Ower

We bought our 1998 Cross Country at the 1998 Portland, OR Auto Show. I believe that was in January 1998. It's been a great car the whole time. The only issues that have come up were hitting two deer at 5:00 am on the way down the Gorge to Portland Airport. I drove on a half mile before I pulled over and pulled off the hanging headlamp and checked the car over. Quite damaged, but I was fine and the car still drove. So I continued to the airport, parked, called my husband, sent him a photo and flew on to Montana. It went to the body shop and came out looking new. After that one thing or the other came up as a result, but we fixed them and are still driving it. It is the world's best winter car. It handles snow and ice like a trooper. The husband even parks his 4WD pickup and drives it during really bad weather.
    Highly recommended (other than repair bills).

Original owner of a 1999 XC. 130K miles currently being driven daily by me.
    Handles snow and ice very well and only problem was ground clearance when off road hunting or fishing etc. I have a Volvo OEM skid plate which is really a tubular bar arrangement. You can see the bar marks on rutted trails.
    My wife had a somewhat slow front end collision after braking because of a car pulling out in front of her. Other insurance repaired the front end, no structural or drivetrain damage. While waiting for repairs, other insurance supplied Hyundi crackerbox. Bought wife 2011 XC.
    I will use this XC and keep the 2003 in reserve. Between them both, I won't need another XC.
    Problems along the way.
    Front wheel fell off. Had dealership dissemble and display parts for me to inspect. Could not determine problem but Dealership repaired car for no charge so i suspect faulty maintenance.
    Shift button sticks once in a while.
    All maintenance performed as per manual.
    Had trans flushed at 124k just because.
    Emergency brake just disintegrated, fixed,expensive.
    AC not as powerful as before but we can;t find leak.
    Other than those items, its very reliable and I am using it around Chicago/ Milwaukee and off road. Would like to see at least 250K miles out of it.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

My dad bought the 2000 XC in April of 2000. I got it from him in November of 2008 with 115,000 miles. I'm currently at 180,000 miles!

Not sure if that really counts... but it's been in the family since new and I plan on keeping it for at least 3 or 4 more years. Don't tell him, but I do take much better care of it than my dad did.

It's been a great car! It has obviously had its share of the common issues, but nothing that wasn't too hard to fix myself. It has never left us stranded anywhere, and I feel darn safe driving the thing. Plus with a few modifications, it's actually quite a bit more fun to drive!
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Not the original owner of the one I have now but I AM an original owner of a new 1998 XC.
    That was my first Volvo and owned it for 3 years/40K miles
    Bought in July 1997 (early build car)

Forgot ECM, reimbursed by Volvo for work done on it.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

i am the original owner of a 2000 xc (last year for the classic brick design) that just turned 81k miles. it's all original and in fantastic condition. Originally purchased in Minneapolis as a gift to my wife for XMas 2000. The paint is a rare bright red / tan interior ordered by me that just looks sharp, even today. It now is retired to our spot in Florida and runs like a champ. No plans to sell it and still gets compliments on its condition.