Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Make sure you get yourself a good code reader. Mine was doing EXACTLY that and it all pointed back to an overheating CEM. A $20 heatsink mod is all it takes to fix which I'll post a how-to later when I get a chance. Dealer/Indy thought it was a DIM...but the engine codes cept saying CEM fault.

And if you search CEM fault and the code, it points to an overheating CEM.

Does the battery need to be disconnected when unplugging the dim? When unplugged mine I left the battery plugged in but that caused the heating system to turn on as soon as i locked the car
    2003 xc70 210,000km+

Quote Originally Posted by sinabd View Post
    Does the battery need to be disconnected when unplugging the dim? When unplugged mine I left the battery plugged in but that caused the heating system to turn on as soon as i locked the car
    Never worried about it when I pulled my DIM a few times. Never had a problem with doing that either.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

My SRS warning just reappeared!

My DIM was repaired by Xemodex, so it has a lifetime warranty. But how do I know whether it's the DIM that's failing or something else? Go to the dealer and get the codes read, right?
    2003 XC70 with 345,000 km (214,370 mi)

Seems to me that the DIM is an inherent issue with these vehicles which makes me wonder why there has not been a recall. Aside from the obvious, dealers squeezing more money out of us for replacements, has anyone tried contacting Volvo HQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Canuck View Post
    Seems to me that the DIM is an inherent issue with these vehicles which makes me wonder why there has not been a recall.
    Because it's not regarded as a safety issue. NHTSA only monitor safety related issues and force manufacturers to issue recalls when there is a safety violation or concern.

A couple of years ago (around 2011) my independent garage sent my DIM to someplace (somewhere in the NE U.S. or maybe Canada?) and had it repaired, complete with lifetime warranty. Total cost, including labor, about $600. Volvo dealer had quoted $1400. No problem at all with the DIM since then.
    Roy

Can the instrument cluster in my 02 xc70 be replaced if I get a used one with the same part number.If not who provides quickest repair time (shipping,turnaround) for Colorado springs.

Quote Originally Posted by KingFitter View Post
    Can the instrument cluster in my 02 xc70 be replaced if I get a used one with the same part number.If not who provides quickest repair time (shipping,turnaround) for Colorado springs.
    Should work as long as all the numbers on the DIM are the same. That's how it worked on my '02 at least. Just make sure that the used one works first though. Remember its as old as the one you are replacing and may be no better. Knock on wood, the used one I got is still working two years later.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Any dim from 01 to 04 will work and off you would like a bit of a change I would recommend getting the 04 with the aluminum trim rings that go around the dials and better backlighting.
    Be sure to have the mileage adjusted otherwise it's plug and play.
    2002 v70 xc White/Tobacco
    Touring Package, Cold Weather Package, Intro-Premium Package, Audio Max
    180k+ on ORIGINAL Autotragic GirlTronic