Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

I too have a 2003 v70 wagon with the airbag warning and then the dash goes out. I have checked and see that it is easily removed. I can send it out to be repaired for $350 or pick up a used one for $75 My question is if I install a used one will all of the diagnostics function or do I have to have it reprogrammed?
    Ideally I would like to pop in the used one just as long as there will be no mechanical problems

Then you will end up with two dead dashboards, because they all eventually die.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Yep. You'll have two dead dashboards from day one because the salvage yard DIM won't work in your car until it's been programmed. After you pay for it, you'll have to pay to have it programmed, and at that point, you've spent more than half the cost of a XEMODEX rebuild but you've got a DIM with unknown life ahead of it instead of a rebuilt one...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Look at the review I posted on BBA for DIM:
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...-Repair-Review

Very interesting thread. Dash on my '03XC70 just went dead this week. CEL is on, rather funny I thought - but all else is dead.
    Using Nuvi for speedo and mileage tracking (fuel gauge).
    335k miles. Inspection due end of November and needs a cat, so likely will be the end of life.
    If I should choose to bring the dash back to life - anyone have a cost effective repair for a dead catalytic converter.
    Last edited by NJ03XC; 07-05-2016 at 02:56 PM. Reason: misspell

Quote Originally Posted by NJ03XC View Post
    335k miles. Inspection due end of November and needs a cat, so likely will be the end of life.
    If I should choose to bring the dash back to life - anyone have a cost effective repair for a dead catalytic converter.
    If end of life, then you have nothing to lose to give a couple of tries a couple of simple+cheap fixes

DIM - Get an electronic tech with good tools to reflow solder around the motorola chip. This fixed quite a few crazy dashes.

CAT - If not plugged (back pressure) Remove and soak+agitate in citric acid solution for 8 hours (google for what solutions people use). I've heard this fixed a few P0420 code on Prius. I guess it exposes the catalytic material by cleaning the gunk coated on the reaction surfaces. Alternatively you can put a O2 extender on the O2 after the CAT to fool the emission system to think CAT is doing its job. Quick note on the O2s, pre CAT O2 adjusts air fuel mixture for lean+rich. post CAT O2 just confirm exhaust after CAT removed the stuff harmful for environment. Extending post CAT O2 pulls it out of the exhaust stream and makes it think its clean. I think people even put in fake circuit on the post O2 wire to fool the emission system. But of course this is against the emissions law and pollutes the environment.
    Last edited by howardc64; 07-06-2016 at 05:10 AM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    If end of life, then you have nothing to lose to give a couple of tries a couple of simple+cheap fixes

DIM - Get an electronic tech with good tools to reflow solder around the motorola chip. This fixed quite a few crazy dashes.

CAT - If not plugged (back pressure) Remove and soak+agitate in citric acid solution for 8 hours (google for what solutions people use). I've heard this fixed a few P0420 code on Prius. I guess it exposes the catalytic material by cleaning the gunk coated on the reaction surfaces. Alternatively you can put a O2 extender on the O2 after the CAT to fool the emission system to think CAT is doing its job. Quick note on the O2s, pre CAT O2 adjusts air fuel mixture for lean+rich. post CAT O2 just confirm exhaust after CAT removed the stuff harmful for environment. Extending post CAT O2 pulls it out of the exhaust stream and makes it think its clean. I think people even put in fake circuit on the post O2 wire to fool the emission system. But of course this is against the emissions law and pollutes the environment.
    Thanks Howard. Interesting idea. No back pressure problem on the car. In fact, it's running really well. Was hoping to take her to 1/2M miles but I think that's optimistic in any event. I'll consider your tweaks and see if it makes sense for me to keep her going. Has been a fantastic car that I've has since '06 and 36k when I bought her.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Canuck View Post
    Seems to me that the DIM is an inherent issue with these vehicles which makes me wonder why there has not been a recall. Aside from the obvious, dealers squeezing more money out of us for replacements, has anyone tried contacting Volvo HQ?
    For me the big safety issue is the rear view mirror dazzle adjustment! Having to go to a Vida pay for download to adjust a too dark mirror is just insane. AND YES SOMEONE SOMEWHERE SHOULD TAKE VOLVO TO COURT FOR THIS FAULTY DIM ISSUE!!! No one should have to pay for Volvos profit, which is why we have this issue in the first place, so they can make a buck at our expense!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    Make sure you get yourself a good code reader. Mine was doing EXACTLY that and it all pointed back to an overheating CEM. A $20 heatsink mod is all it takes to fix which I'll post a how-to later when I get a chance. Dealer/Indy thought it was a DIM...but the engine codes cept saying CEM fault.

And if you search CEM fault and the code, it points to an overheating CEM.
    Xmodex has since revamped their site to reflect the CEM overheating issue troubleshooting issue and subsequently blaming the DIM fix for this issue. I wish the poster would post back about the DIM repair from the folks at X before blaming the DIM repair service. X seems to do a really good job and I haven't ever heard of a xmodex failure. If there are xmodex failures I wish someone would chime in on that subject, cause this whole DIM issue is expensive and just plain wrong on Volvos part. It should be a recall and no cost fix on Volvos part!

On a related note I've found the iCarsoft Vol II to be a great tool for the cash and esp easy to reset the srs message! Call Matt at Portland or 570-262-4806 I think I paid about a hundred or so for the tool, works great at resetting a number of things and reading out the real temp values when Volvo can't be bothered to actually tell you your vehicle is bubbling over.

re Xemodex failures:
    A few years after Xemodex repaired my DIM, it conked out again. (I don't recall the symptoms.)

I called them to claim a warranty repair under their lifetime warranty.

I was told that mine had been repaired before they instituted the lifetime warranty...but then they fixed it for free anyway.
    2003 XC70 with 345,000 km (214,370 mi)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789