Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Update: Feeling much better now.

Want to provide update for the initial review of the Poly Bushing.

Now I'm feeling much better with the Poly Bushing on. Head rest are no longer squeaking.
    Steering is still vibrating. My 10 years daughter said rear seat is still shaking a little bit. But it is kind of vibration that we could live with.

It isn't because I used to it but as I did the following to improve the engine running condition:
    1) PCV clean up: Hose not clogged, but indeed lots of gunk there;
    2) New spark plugs: Bosch Plantinium Plus FR7DPX. Working pretty nice for me;
    3) Throttle Body clean up: I think it makes different;
    4) Mass Air Flow Meter clean up: Don't think the MAF sensor need clean up;

As I said the Poly Bushing is very useful when you want to know how is the engine running.
    But for daily drivnig I still prefer the comfortable feeling so ordered the OEM square bushing and going to install soon.

Thanks.
    2003 XC70, Blue, 198KKm, FL bearing & DIM replaced, no other major issues yet.

I just installed the yellow polybush by powerflex and I have none of the issues you are describing.

I installed the ipd blue bush for the upper engine mount, the transmission torque mount and the strut brace conversion for the crossbrace at the same time. I have had a lot of vibration. The whole dash wanted to jump right out at me.

I tried a bunch of different things including:
    1. resetting the strut brace conversion blocks to their low height position (in the high position I found it touched the plastic trim infront of the windscreen)
    2. torquing the life out of every bolt involved.
    3. torquing everything correctly after doing the gearbox jig as described.
    4. swapping the strut brace conversion blocks out with the original mounts I replaced (everything was worse as a result so I swapped back).
    5. various forms of meditation...

I have achieved a massive difference when I replaced my struts. I dont think that it was the fault of my otherwise shot struts. I do think that the poly bushes, which themselves replaced completely stuffed rubber items, exposed problems I had in the rest of the system. Reassembling the strut assemblies had some effect in my set of circumstances which probably involved a large amount of coincidence.

The result is that I am no longer convinced that the bushes were the cause but had the benefit of exposing issues my vehicle had!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnrc View Post
    torquing the life out of every bolt involved
    Please don't do that. You will make matters worse in the long run by over stressing the fasteners which can lead to catastrophic failure, usually at the most inconvenient time.

Check the condition of the other engine mounts, if they are bad it will cause a lot of vibration. As you said the new bushing exposes the faults elsewhere.

Also, others have commented, that the poly bushing settles in after a week or so and vibration is reduced. However it is stiffer than stock so don't expect to not feel anything.

Very true Ars. Have no fear, my guns aren't that big. It was actually one of my local Volvo workshops that suggested it so here is my testimony that that advice was rubbish.

I installed the poly bushes almost a year ago and have been hoping for that magical week of settling in to occur. All this time was spent making the already noted attempts to rectify it and trying to cope with the remarkable parts and labour costs here in Oz. I noted the comments regarding the tendency of the "front" engine mount to sag and eventually fail, leading to the engine to rest on the frame. The quote I received here in Australia for that front mount was AUD300 (USD320). ipd has them for USD50. Hence all 3 engine mounts were in the package from ipd that had the new struts in it. Having made the shift to doing as much servicing as I can do myself, it was simply chance that I did the struts first and found the problem go. The mounts can sit on the shelf for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrc View Post
    I have achieved a massive difference when I replaced my struts.
    I completely missed the above sentence when I read through your post the first time. Sorry about that! I though you were still having issues with vibration. Glad you got it sorted out with the new struts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123