Question Need some help identifying some needed repairs.

SO I went to change my oil on my 01' XC70 AWD and noticed the following items that caught my eye:

awd.jpg (attached) - seems as if the AWD box in the front is leaking oil... Any thoughts here from what you see in the image... gasket? I am trying to avoid the Volvo stealership. Is this something a local trusted garage could easily fix? Fixable by a DIYer? Thanks for any thoughts on this

bushing.jpg (attached) - Both bushings on the front armatures seem to be dry rotted and cracking. Anyone have a part number for these or point me to a link to purchase replacements. I assume I can replace these myself. Or do they need pressed in?

Thanks for any help on these items...

All bevel gears seem to weap somewhat. Do you have an idea how long it took to become like this?
    If not, chances are that what we see know is the accumulated effect of a number of years.
    In that case, I would check (or refill) the oil level, clean the housing and see how things develop.
    But do I also see a drop of oil in the upper left part of the picture? If so, the leak may come from
    something/somewhere else above the bevel gear. Was there oil on the belly pan as well?
    Willy
    Last edited by Willy; 03-20-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Thumbs up

If you mean the pan (black plastic) that I removed to get to this area under the front... yes there was visible oil on it. Not a large amount, but this was the first time since the start of the winter I was able to get underneath to change the oil - which was when I noticed this.

Question. If the bevel gear is leaking and or is seeping oil at somewhat of a normal rate - how do I check the level of it? What type of oil do I use to fill it? Any how to's on this particular subject so I can see the process?

Thanks for the info Willy. Much appreciated!

Also,

I found this:

http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...D=0&V_ID=14931

Is this used in the tranny, bevel and read diff boxes for my car (01 xc70awd)

If so I may just pick this up and replace all the fluids. Thanks again.

The bevel gear weepage is normal. Big bucks to make it stop but not really worth it unless it's pissing out oil. Check its oil level at every oil change and top up if needed. Mine dropped less than a 1/4 inch in roughly 4 years, so I don't plan on resealing it at this point. If you look up on its right side, you'll see a filler screw which requires a 13 mm socket or wrench to remove. I have an old piece of wiper refill metal frame with one end bent at 90 degrees to give a short end about an inch long. I dip that end into the hole on a 30 degree angle, and if it comes out with a good soaking of oil on it, then there's no need to do anything except put the screw back in.

As far as that bushing, it's a subframe bushing. Weather checking/cracking is normal for all rubber bushings, and these subframe bushings aren't known to give any problems because they don't move. I'd be way more concerned with the condition of the control arm bushings; those are known to seperate and cause knocking and creaking noises, as well as toss your front wheel alignment off.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Aviator & Willy - Thank you both for the fantastic information. Last time I came to this forum I had flak for my lack of knowledge. Thanks again.

Is the gear oil I found meant for use in only the bevel and rear gear? I assume the following is for the tranny:

http://www.ipdusa.com/product.asp?st...sition=1#V4768

Thanks!

Is this used in the tranny, bevel and read diff boxes for my car (01 xc70awd)

ONLY USED IN THE BEVEL GEAR!! NOTHING ELSE!! Also, it's insanely overpriced (even for IPD). Go to Walmart and pick up a litre of Castrol 75W90 GL5. It's a synthetic oil. I don't know where you live but in Canada it's about $10.

Dave.

Are you near a Toyota dealership? If so, buy their T-IV trans oil. You won't have any shipping charge that way, and the stuff is probably even cheaper. USE ONLY IN TRANSMISSION.

Dave.

Great! Got a walmart rright down the street. Same with a Toyota Dealership. I will get all my items from them!

You have been a big help! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jderosa3 View Post
    Question. If the bevel gear is leaking and or is seeping oil at somewhat of a normal rate - how do I check the level of it?
    To check the level, fill until full (bottom of fill hole), then remove 160mL.
    I find it easiest to suck out some oil, remove 160mL and pump the rest back in.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)