Question 2003 XC70 multiple electrical issues

This is my firts post ever, so please bear with me...

I recently aquired a 2003 XC70 with a few problems.

- ABS and brake light is on with a P0571 code stored (brake lights work), also a "brake failure stop safely" message.

- After starting the engine all the gauges (accept fuel level) drop out and CEL comes on (P0600) code stored. Also, the gear indicator light by the shift lever does not move with shift position and "w" button light does not change when pressing the button.

- The trans seems to be stuck in "limp home mode" on a couple of occasions the trans worked fine. U0002 code stored.

The message display on the cluster was not working so I replaced it with a used one. I also replaced the rear springs (they were broken). While I was throwing parts at it I replaced the PNP sensor thinking this would cure the shift indicator light issue (which it obviously did not).

I have been using a Determinator to check the codes and it does not communicate with most of the modules. It will not communicate with engine or trans modules unless I go through OBD II.

Any advise/comments would be appriciated.

I seem to have found the problem. I disconnected the rear differential module and everything seems to be ok. I removed the module and upon further inspection found that it was damaged by some sort of impact. The case is bent and water came out of the module. I guess since the module is on the CAN network it caused all the strange malfunctions. I will replace the module and post the outcome for all who are interested.

Interesting find, thanks for the reply
    The combination of error codes were very strange, probably explaining why there were no responses to your query.
    willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by mcmerk View Post
    I seem to have found the problem. I disconnected the rear differential module and everything seems to be ok. I removed the module and upon further inspection found that it was damaged by some sort of impact. The case is bent and water came out of the module. I guess since the module is on the CAN network it caused all the strange malfunctions. I will replace the module and post the outcome for all who are interested.
    Hi,

I've just been informed that my 2004 Volvo XC70 needs a new differential module, which costs $1900. and isn't even available in Canada.

How did your experience play out? Thanks.

Rick - I would search through the threads and read up on the Haldex that your car has....so you are able to talk with your mechanic about it...

Who diagnosed the differential module for you...and what do you mean, "not available in Canada"?

That whole story sounds suspicious...you can get every part for this car in Canada...may be more $$ than your neighbors to the south pay, but you can get it!
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Rick - I would search through the threads and read up on the Haldex that your car has....so you are able to talk with your mechanic about it...

Who diagnosed the differential module for you...and what do you mean, "not available in Canada"?

That whole story sounds suspicious...you can get every part for this car in Canada...may be more $$ than your neighbors to the south pay, but you can get it!
    Thanks for that response, Astro. The problem was diagnosed by a mechanic at an independent Volvo mechanic well-known and respected in Ottawa; he's been my mechanic for almost 20 years. The module is definitely available to me, but it has to be ordered from the U.S. This guy is pretty straight and runs a good business.

I'm returning to the shop first thing tomorrow (we need to drive the 120 miles home tomorrow, too) but I intend to mention a couple of things that I've picked up in the past few days, namely:

1, Ensure that the problem was properly diagnosed using VIDA and not was not based simply on an OBD message.

2.Check the pressure module/sensor on the differential module. Several posts mentioned the expensive diff module being replaced, only to then learn that the problem was with the much cheaper pressure module/sensor.

I'll let you know what happens..... Rick