Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AWD working?

This might put you at ease...not on jack stands though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aJdob81zn4

I saw another video that might give you an idea...ah yes, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMqOebMnZKo

Not the least-safe thing I've ever seen. But you get the idea.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

Why are you bothering with all of this?
    Torque steer, ANY torque steer and ANY front wheel slippage = = = (ta da)
    AWD NOT FUNCTIONING

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Why are you bothering with all of this?
    Torque steer, ANY torque steer and ANY front wheel slippage = = = (ta da)
    AWD NOT FUNCTIONING
    I don't understand why you are being so combative...

You tell me to stop talking about the collar - well I very well can't rule out the collar until I tell if the prop shaft is even turning...so I at LEAST have to go home and perform the Jim Lill test. Then I have to start checking items that would cause it to not function and not set a code.

I KNOW it isn't working and I have since the first few posts...now I am getting into diagnostics because I DO NOT trust my local dealers at this point and I need to understand what is causing it not to function.

I don't really care how big your internet weenie is - I DO NOT appreciate the sarcasm. I am just trying to understand my car.

Do you have any independent Volvo mechanics around? That might be your best bet If you don't find anything yourself
    2001 V70XC (132K)
    1993 940 (247K)
    2002 S60 T5M (200K)

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    Do you have any independent Volvo mechanics around? That might be your best bet If you don't find anything yourself
    Seamus-

Yes - Southwest Auto here in Dallas - they have VIDA and have a great reputation from what I can gather; been around quite awhile too.

I am going to go through the "basics" before I take it but I already have an appointment on Tuesday to drop it off.

About the dealers - I generally advise people to take it to the dealer and I have always done so on any modern car I have had. However, I have e-mails from Park Place discussing my SPECIFIC instructions to check the angle gear/Haldex/diff/everything related to AWD when I had them do the inspection, oil change, and timing belt. He replied saying everthing was checked and checked out fine. To pay $120/hour and not even have the work you asked for done...not the base for a trusting relationship.

I'm sure you'll have much better luck with them than the dealer. The dealer here in RI is not good at all, bad service dept. There's a couple indys in mass 20 mins away that are 10x better. Good luck!
    2001 V70XC (132K)
    1993 940 (247K)
    2002 S60 T5M (200K)

Why I said, it's not necessarily the collar.

Bad pressure sensor, no AWD no rear wheels turning
    Bad Haldex, no AWD and no wheels turning
    Dirty line going from the pressure sensor, No AWD etc
    Do you now understand?

Collar gear is just one of about 4 things that can go bad and is the least likely

Quote Originally Posted by TexasXC View Post
    I don't understand why you are being so combative...

I don't really care how big your internet weenie is - I DO NOT appreciate the sarcasm. I am just trying to understand my car.
    Its because he has "issues". Once you are on here long enough you will note that these spells come along periodically so who knows what sets him off. In this case, his four points to check are accurate but he lacks a certain finesse in getting that information out there.

Note however that a number of us do try and help and try to do it with some decorum. So a simple case of having to put up with one old dude with issues to gain the knowledge of the rest of us who are just as knowledgable, or more so in some cases, and don't mind trying to help someone out politely.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Because the man does not want to listen
    Someone has put collar gear in his brain and he didn't want to hear anything else, so if I offended him, sorry, but I think I finally got the message through which is more important in the scheme of things.

As you know there are several possibilities to what's wrong with his AWD, the collar is only one of them at the least likely (on average)!

...and what I wrote was not offensive in any way, (either post). Try reading them again then you can apologize and stop opening your mouth about me.
    I'm just trying to help the guy, if you can't handle the way I write, too bad, but it's not your business, he was asking ME.
    If I get the point across and it helps him, I'm satisfied

I'm dying to find out what is wrong with the AWD. My collar stripped its splines but it was easy to diagnose as I have my own lift. I was delighted to find it as a mechanical failure (only a few spanners needed to fix). It cost about 80 euro for a new part and took a few hours to install.
    Putting the car up and observing the shafts from below should be the first step in accurately determining where the fault is (there is a full section describing the method on VADIS).
    Although with no information and not having seen the car myself I will just name off parts and components from the drivetrain of an XC70 and insist that if you dont check them then you dont know if they are the root cause

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast