Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AWD working?

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Why I said, it's not necessarily the collar.

Bad pressure sensor, no AWD no rear wheels turning
    Bad Haldex, no AWD and no wheels turning
    Dirty line going from the pressure sensor, No AWD etc
    Do you now understand?

Collar gear is just one of about 4 things that can go bad and is the least likely
    I have a good handle on all of the parts that can fail, but I do not have access to VADIS, so once I determine whether or not I have propeller shaft movement, I have NO clue what the next troubleshooting steps are.

Tomorrow morning I will either put it up on jackstands or a lift (if I can talk my local tire shop into giving me access for 10 mins) and check propeller shaft movement - I will try to post a video or any pics of what I see.

Can anyone post or send me some troublshooting from VADIS or pics of these steps?

I dont have access where I am right now, but it involves putting the car in gear and observing that at least one of the wheels on the back rotates etc etc..... but you can rule out the angle gear and collar if you see that the propshaft turns down at the centre diff
    Get it up in the air it will tell you alot.

Quote Originally Posted by xcbody View Post
    I dont have access where I am right now, but it involves putting the car in gear and observing that at least one of the wheels on the back rotates etc etc..... but you can rule out the angle gear and collar if you see that the propshaft turns down at the centre diff
    Get it up in the air it will tell you alot.
    That's exactly what I am going to do - but I honestly expect to find the prop shaft turning...which then leads me to my question - how do I go about checking out the components in the rear end and the associated electronics/sensors?

My fuse isn't blown so I likely do not have a burned up/seized up oil pump on the AOC (from what I gather) - but that doesn't rule out a faulty sensor, dirty line, or FUBARed Haldex unit internally...or a faulty DEM that is not throwing codes (that can happen, right??).

Because the man does not want to listen
    Someone has put collar gear in his brain and he didn't want to hear anything else, so if I offended him, sorry, but I think I finally got the message through which is more important in the scheme of things.

As you know there are several possibilities to what's wrong with his AWD, the collar is only one of them at the least likely (on average)!

...and what I wrote was not offensive in any way, (either post). Try reading them again then you can apologize and stop opening your mouth about me.
    I'm just trying to help the guy, if you can't handle the way I write, too bad, but it's not your business, he was asking ME.
    If I get the point across and it helps him, I'm satisfied
    Hey - I didn't like your tone but now I am thinking about this the right way, so I do want to say thanks for backing me off the angle gear/collar ledge...this is a bone stock car that was a Mommy wagon.

I will go down the troubleshooting steps this weekend and try to narrow it to a specific component. Anything not requiring VIDA to diagnose will be done this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Pressure sensor requires VIDA

Quote Originally Posted by TexasXC View Post
    I have a 2004 XC70 - new to me at 124k

Recently had it in for a timing belt (PO did not do it) and told Park Place Volvo to check out the car "soup to nuts" - came back with brakes and tires (shocker - already knew this) and spring seats - kinda surprised but put it on the list of things to do.

I was leaving a parking lot this weekend in a nice mist and decided to hammer down the throttle...very surprised at what happened - it seemed to handle like a FWD POS and I didn't detect any force from the rear wheels.

So after reading through all of the nightmare posts on here - I am quite concerned my AWD is not functioning (as I understand it doesn't have to throw a code). I would expect ZERO torque steer and ZERO wheel slippage if it was tranferring power.

BUT, I also would have expected the dealer to point this out and sell me the solution if it were the case.

What do you guys think?
    I had a similar problem with my 04 xc70 a while back. No AWD and no codes. The only way i knew there was a problem was there was alot of snow and ice and the rear wheels didn't kick in. I brought it to the dealer and it was a 30 minute fix. I think it was a bad speed sensor or something on the rear end. It was warrantied so I dont know the cost. Good luck.

Because the man does not want to listen
    Someone has put collar gear in his brain and he didn't want to hear anything else, so if I offended him, sorry, but I think I finally got the message through which is more important in the scheme of things.

As you know there are several possibilities to what's wrong with his AWD, the collar is only one of them at the least likely (on average)!

...and what I wrote was not offensive in any way, (either post). Try reading them again then you can apologize and stop opening your mouth about me.
    I'm just trying to help the guy, if you can't handle the way I write, too bad, but it's not your business, he was asking ME.
    If I get the point across and it helps him, I'm satisfied
    JRL is right, he needs to check everything entirely, not just assume. Some of this may be my fault, but I just posted my link to show him what ONE of the issues MIGHT be. I actually was surprised the sleeve was my problem, I was sold on the sensor being the issue, however after checking everything out I found the sleeve to be my issue.

I know just posting the link to my thread wasn't proper, however I has just posted a longer response on his thread at Swedespeed so i figured he would read that one as well.

P.S. my internet weenie is the biggest... just saying

Good luck with your AWD my friend, if the sleeve ends up being your problem feel free to ask me any questions, I just went through all of it so its fresh in my mind.

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

My vote is for a bad collar.
    And BTW, the propshaft can still spin with a bad collar... on the lift with little resistance anyway.
    Anyway, get it ALL tested, as suggested.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by RockitShip View Post
    My vote is for a bad collar.
    And BTW, the propshaft can still spin with a bad collar... on the lift with little resistance anyway.
    Anyway, get it ALL tested, as suggested.

Good luck
    Hey guys -

Got the car up on a lift - I could only find an alignment shop to let me do it so all four wheels were on the alingment machine and not hanging free like I wanted.

But...the propeller shaft turned extremely free and easy. All four wheels holding weight with the car in park.

Verdict?

Broke!

Seriously, my mechanic is coming over later, I will ask him

EDIT:

He said from your description it IS probably a snapped collar.
    He also said that your output splines from the tranny could be worn/stripped. If that is the case (I hope it's not for your sake, the tranny is toast (or at least it can never function as an AWD vehicle with it left in and not replaced).

He said if they are, it's a crap shoot how well the AWD will work even with a new collar.
    Last edited by JRL; 01-23-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast