Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AWD working?

Unhappy AWD working?

I have a 2004 XC70 - new to me at 124k

Recently had it in for a timing belt (PO did not do it) and told Park Place Volvo to check out the car "soup to nuts" - came back with brakes and tires (shocker - already knew this) and spring seats - kinda surprised but put it on the list of things to do.

I was leaving a parking lot this weekend in a nice mist and decided to hammer down the throttle...very surprised at what happened - it seemed to handle like a FWD POS and I didn't detect any force from the rear wheels.

So after reading through all of the nightmare posts on here - I am quite concerned my AWD is not functioning (as I understand it doesn't have to throw a code). I would expect ZERO torque steer and ZERO wheel slippage if it was tranferring power.

BUT, I also would have expected the dealer to point this out and sell me the solution if it were the case.

What do you guys think?

A bad AWD does not throw codes
    It may have a STORED code if the pressure sensor or Haldex is bad
    You should not have any torque steer or wheel spin.

Take it back and ask them why they did not check the AWD as it is NOT working

I guess I just don't understand how this breaks and the car is still drivable with no perceptible clunking/popping/jerking.

I checked the AWD fuse - good. so I guess I have a bad DEM or a broken angle gear/sleeve situation - but that to me seems like it would create massive amounts of driveline noise or something.

Any idea what I am looking at repair bill wise?

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Where did you buy this collar/sleeve kit you speak of?

I did some googling and cannot find it.

You need to find out what's wrong before you start thinking about certain parts.
    It could be as little as a $200 repair, up to a $3000 repair, so bring it to a Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    You need to find out what's wrong before you start thinking about certain parts.
    It could be as little as a $200 repair, up to a $3000 repair, so bring it to a Dealer
    I know my DEM shows no DTC - just had a dealer clear the codes and TWO dealers looked at my car and declared her in "great" shape.

I am going to put it up at a friends' this weekend and inspect the prop shaft for play and turn the whole system with the tranny in neutral.

The reason why I want that sleeve is if I find the prop shaft not turning, I am pulling the angle gear assembly and starting the repair process. If the prop shaft turns with the front wheels then I know I have an electrical/computer issue OR a failure in the Haldex/rear diff equipment.

I have already thought this through - I just need an idea if n00bkiller could recall the part number off-hand. I found a sleeve at swedishautoparts.com for ~$91.

On the AOC/Haldex system you will have no rear wheel drive and almost no perceivable drag in rear wheels if you spin them with out engine running. The electric oil pump on that generation AOC does not run and therefore no oil pressure is applied to the clutch that engages to apply torque to rear diff.
    The sleeve could be an issue but if the car is local to Texas then that is less likely. The rusting that eats away at the splines in the coupler and angle gear are not seen too much here.
    Safely lift wheels off ground and set car on stands if a hoist is not used.
    Start engine and turn off the STC/DSTC if you have a switch to disable it. These systems will work against you testing the system with wheels off the ground.
    Put it in low gear using your gear selector and the Geartronic feature.
    look and see if the rear wheels turn. If they do then pull up the parking brake with the button on end depressed so you can pull and release at will.
    When you pull up the parking brake the rear wheels should stop and so should the front. You might repeat this with the engine speed eleavated to be sure. The first apply of park brake may cause a jolt as AOC clutch is full applied. IF the rears stop and fronts do not then look at the driveshaft to AOC and see if it is turning. IF it does not turn then the sleeve splines and other splines on angle gear and/or transmission is the likely cause.
    If the driveshaft is spinning and rears are stopped then the AOC has a problem.
    There is a fuse for AOC in the REM fuse panel but you should have a no communication with DEM code in a couple of other modules when that happens usually.

Quote Originally Posted by cattlecar View Post
    On the AOC/Haldex system you will have no rear wheel drive and almost no perceivable drag in rear wheels if you spin them with out engine running. The electric oil pump on that generation AOC does not run and therefore no oil pressure is applied to the clutch that engages to apply torque to rear diff.
    The sleeve could be an issue but if the car is local to Texas then that is less likely. The rusting that eats away at the splines in the coupler and angle gear are not seen too much here.
    Safely lift wheels off ground and set car on stands if a hoist is not used.
    Start engine and turn off the STC/DSTC if you have a switch to disable it. These systems will work against you testing the system with wheels off the ground.
    Put it in low gear using your gear selector and the Geartronic feature.
    look and see if the rear wheels turn. If they do then pull up the parking brake with the button on end depressed so you can pull and release at will.
    When you pull up the parking brake the rear wheels should stop and so should the front. You might repeat this with the engine speed eleavated to be sure. The first apply of park brake may cause a jolt as AOC clutch is full applied. IF the rears stop and fronts do not then look at the driveshaft to AOC and see if it is turning. IF it does not turn then the sleeve splines and other splines on angle gear and/or transmission is the likely cause.
    If the driveshaft is spinning and rears are stopped then the AOC has a problem.
    There is a fuse for AOC in the REM fuse panel but you should have a no communication with DEM code in a couple of other modules when that happens usually.
    Well, the car spent quite a bit of time in Maryland - that's where it was delivered.

We were planning on putting it up on four jack stands...this method does not seem safe with the car running/jolting/etc.

I checked the fuse already and no DEM DTCs.

I am pretty sure if I leave the car in drive with the parking brake engaged the car trys to pull/push itself against the brake - meaning at LEAST the front wheels are still pulling (indicating spline/sleeve failure as per above). I will double check this in the parking garage here in a bit.

This system is very complicated with a (seeming intentional) EXPENSIVE failure point...so effin disappointed I purchased this car...

Stop with the continued talking about spline/collar failure, this is actually rare.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast