Question Anybody know how to remove a Driver Information Module (DIM) AKA Instrument cluster?

I have decided to ship my DIM to BBA Reman to have it rebuilt for $350. The dealer is quoting $1400 for a replacement. Anyone have any details on how to remove it from a 2003 XC90?

buy one from erievovo.com for $65

two torx on top and pull the cover off iirc
    1998 Olive Green V70 T5 Manual - 155k Awesome car http://tinyurl.com/85mh7z3
    2003 Nautic Blue XC90 T6 3rd tranny - 162k Modded http://tinyurl.com/74pwukq
    2001 Nautic Blue C70 T5 Manual - 92k Not stock at all http://tinyurl.com/75zhepq
    Past Volvo's 94 855T+Manual,95 850GLT,97 850R BTCC Replica,98 850NA,99 XC70

Smile DIM Rebuilt by BBA-Reman.com

Well, I shipped it off to BBA-Reman on a Tuesday. They got it on a Friday and shipped it back to me on a Monday. It's back in and I have instruments again! The dealer wanted about $1400. The rebuild and shipping came to about $430.

Default DIM rework

Hello: I don't know BBA _ Reiman. Can you tell me where I may contact them. We have a similar situation and we want to get the DIM repaired without losing any mileage information and hopefully not incurring larger charges at the dealership.
    Thank you for your time.

Default xc90 2003 instrument panel failure

I fully agree with above statements about the failure of instrument panel in Volvo XC90. I have been sold 2003 xc90 with exactly same failure of instrument panel. The previous owner had kindly chosen to sell the vehicle without mentioning this serious failure rather than suffering from headaches and huge costs. I have bought a 2003 XC90 D5 recently and we have booked family trip for this x-mass, now facing this problem. I lose power to the instrument panel. Sometimes fully working, then blank (all lights off, needles at zero). It is definitely needs replacement!
    Those times I have had it working, a warning message (SRS airbag service urgent) appears and also the panel froze once: the speedo and revcounter needles froze in place for a few seconds, and then all goes dead. The car runs fine: lights, indicators, sat-nav all work normally, and it drives perfectly.
    I contacted a few Volvo dealers, all of them refused to book me or just diagnose the problem. They all say come back in New Year. Interestingly the Volvo staff even did not advice me about this issue. I am not happy with their services so far and would appreciate if they can help us to solve the issue. After reading some review I believe that the failure of instrument panel in Volvo XC90 is common issue and Volvo should replace them free of charge.
    Our children are so excited about this trip which we paid in advance and they will be so sad if we cannot make it because of the failure of instrument panel in such nice family car.
    I would appreciate any advice or suggestions, especially by Volvo team.
    Any ideas welcome!
    Thanks.

If you can find somebody nearby who can fix it, it's a 2-3 hour job. I got mine drop-in repaired on a trip to sweden last fall. No problems since.. pretty much the same symptoms that you have, plus my clock was counting backwards almost all the time. It was a pain to get the heater to start at the right time...

It's not dangerous to drive with a broken DIM though, but I can see that it would be a bit annoying with the speedo dropping out.
    2003 XC90 D5 AWD

Normally, we only writes in forums when we have problems.

FYI: Regarding to the instruments, I have never experienced any problems on my XC90 from 2004. And is has now done 260.000 km.

From what I heard, the DIM issue is only in 2002-2003 with only some 2004 when they changed the design with new DIM with leds which work great.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils