Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vova View Post
    Why make it so hard?

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

Default Check Valve

How Do I order??? Email address

???
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    As some of you may know, I have this issue pretty well solved and sell an aftermarket fuel pump check valve, a simple half hour install.

I found a new supplier and have bought a few in bulk (cheaper) so I now can pass these savings along.

The old price was $85 shipped.
    NEW PRICE, $69.95 shipped ($15.05 savings)

This WILL solve your problem

jrl1194(at)aol.com

However, I'm out of stock, the last one I had went out just yesterday
    If you want one, please email me and I will order a few more for inventory

Question Hard Start Warm, But Not Cold

So my 2000 XC70 w/133k miles is hard starting after it's been running for a while. Once it does start from warm, seems to run rough for a while before returning to standard Volvo tractor mode. From cold it starts fine. Would that check valve fix take care of this one? Appreciate any thoughts!

Probably not
    If it starts fine when cold you probably have another issue

Quote Originally Posted by pgcorky View Post
    So my 2000 XC70 w/133k miles is hard starting after it's been running for a while. Once it does start from warm, seems to run rough for a while before returning to standard Volvo tractor mode. From cold it starts fine. Would that check valve fix take care of this one? Appreciate any thoughts!
    Same kind of issue as mine. Start fine when cold and when it's hot, it's hard to start.

There's a thing I should check and that's the thermostat and coolant temp sensor. It make a bit of sense because it's directly related to the engine temperature.

On my SAAB, I know not a volvo, the Crank position sensor would act up when hot and I would get a hard start or no start condition, but when cool, no problem. It threw no codes on that vehicle...Volvos may be different, but read this post from the forum here....I would bet this is your issue.......

http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthre...osition+Sensor

Check MAF....................mixture may be fine when cool, but when hot the readings may be off...., but it is worth checking as it is an easy fix although the part is not cheap.

I doubt it is the coolant sensor paricularly if your temp guage is reading normally, and definitely NOT the thermostat. I am not sure how much the coolant temp is tied to the engine management system....A failed thermostat would have NO effect on starting hot or cold. It is just a mechanical device with a temperature sensitive alloy that opens and closes a spring at a predetrmined temperature level that allows coolant to either be retained in the block or flow through the radiator....If you want to throw cheap parts at it, the thermostat and sensor are a 1/2hour $50 job DIY....
    Last edited by 8pack; 06-30-2011 at 07:05 AM.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Quote Originally Posted by 8pack View Post
    On my SAAB, I know not a volvo, the Crank position sensor would act up when hot and I would get a hard start or no start condition, but when cool, no problem. It threw no codes on that vehicle...Volvos may be different, but read this post from the forum here....I would bet this is your issue.......

http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthre...osition+Sensor

Check MAF....................mixture may be fine when cool, but when hot the readings may be off...., but it is worth checking as it is an easy fix although the part is not cheap.

I doubt it is the coolant sensor paricularly if your temp guage is reading normally, and definitely NOT the thermostat. I am not sure how much the coolant temp is tied to the engine management system....A failed thermostat would have NO effect on starting hot or cold. It is just a mechanical device with a temperature sensitive alloy that opens and closes a spring at a predetrmined temperature level that allows coolant to either be retained in the block or flow through the radiator....If you want to throw cheap parts at it, the thermostat and sensor are a 1/2hour $50 job DIY....
    It's why I suggested thermostat/coolant temp sensor together since it's cheap and if you already spill some coolant with the sensor, might as well go change the thermostat for cheap insurance.

The crank position sensor is also a good guess....

Right now, I'm not sure if I want to throw money in it or not since I just found out the AC system is contaminated and flamable. It would cost over 1000$ to put it back in working condition and the expert told me to pursue the previous owner for damage reimbursement or refund

Default Possble problems?

I'm wondering if there isn't a pressure release valve on the pump in addition to the check valve because on a hot day the pressure in the gas line could build up. Are there any known issues with adding an external check valve leading to premature leaks due to pressure build up? (a pressure release doesn't sound safe for an external check valve.)

If the XC involves removing everything to get to it, then it seems that changing springs would be a good time to replace the pump as well or am I wrong? At 150k I'm unsure of the lifespan of the pump and since I need to replace the shocks and springs so I can put in normal shocks I might as well do them both... unless these pumps generally last longer than their check valves.

I am not sure I don't have a leak somewhere instead of the check valve; the pump itself seems ok.
    2000 V70XC 150k work I've done:
    Removed AWD shaft

I've got over 180K on my 2000 XC with the original pump. I'm going to replace it soon as preventative maintenance and to try and fix the random hard starts.
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast