Default Fog Light Replacement DIY

Looking to replace my broken front fog lights (both lenses shattered). Does anyone know the best way to replace these fog light units on a 2005 xc70? Do I take the front bumper off or access from underneath??

Thank you in advance for any tips

I used this write up when I replaced mine last month. http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ht+replacement

I purchased the light from IPD

http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...383&V_ID=13894

All you have to do is drop the small shields under the lights on both sides, then install the new lens assms.
    The IPD ones are aftermarket and pricey considering you can get used factory volvo ones from Erie VOVO for around $45-50 ea.
    I have installed used ones in the past.
    2004 Volvo XC70
    1992 Volvo 740 Turbo
    1981 Volvo 262c Bertone w/B230FT
    1980 Volvo 262c Bertone w/B230 M46

Quote Originally Posted by billy780 View Post
    All you have to do is drop the small shields under the lights on both sides, then install the new lens assms.
    The IPD ones are aftermarket and pricey considering you can get used factory volvo ones from Erie VOVO for around $45-50 ea.
    I have installed used ones in the past.
    Apologies for bringing up an old thread but I was shopping for a replacement fog lamp myself: Erie VOVO is $67 while IPD is $70.

Eventually, I did this repair myself and while it is a fiddly job to complete especially on the passenger side, it is not difficult. I did it from underneath. The side air baffle (or shield) and the centre air baffle both need to be removed for the passenger side replacement while removing just the side air baffle will work on the driver side. The side air baffles are held on by one Torx screw and a clip. The centre air baffle is held on by a 10mm bolt on each side and two clips that will need a flat screw driver to release. Like a lot of XC70 jobs, it takes way too much longer to complete than it should.

Dropping bumper is easy (compared to other common repairs on this car).
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Dropping bumper is easy (compared to other common repairs on this car).
    I read somewhere that dropping the bumper was the easy way to do the fog lamp. However, having once done it from underneath, I would think that the next time (and I hope there never is a next time), that I could do the entire job in about 20 minutes.

Dropping bumper ondo two bolts wind out clip on each side close to wheel arch, disconnect wiring harness from each fog lamp rear. Lift off bumper all of 5 - 10 mins!
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

I need to replace the passenger fog light bulb. Do I need to do the same thing?

Just the bulb requires removing the 2 Torx screws and small cover under the bumper to access the turn to remove bulb socket