Default 2002 V70XC blowing blue smoke on acceleration -- bad Turbo?

I have a 2002 Volvo V70XC with approximately 85K miles. We had a check engine light that was coming on intermittently and throwing two codes: one for heated front O2 sensor and one for "boost pressure" something or other. Car was seemingly running fine until about 10 days ago when it started billowing smoke from the tailpipe. I know smoke color is important: it was definintely not white smoke (and no sweet smell); I wouldn't call it black smoke either -- it was more bluish/grayish. It seemed to lay the most smoke during a heavy accerlation and right after coming off the gas. We started to drive it one night to the dealer, with my wife following in our other vehicle, but I could barely see her in the rear view because of the smoke. We returned home and had it towed to the dealer the next morning.

I reported the above to the dealer and wondered whether the O2 sensor finally went bad and was fouling up the fuel mixture and causing it to run rich. I noticed too, upon inspection, that there was wet, black residue inside the tailpipe. The dealer first replaced the O2 sensor (to the tune of $600) and then called back with the "bad news" that they inspected the mainfold gasket, found a crack, and wanted another $600 to fix that. I relented, believing that at least the problem would be cured.

When I arrived to pick up the vehicle, the service advisor told me that they also did an oil change and noticed (and told me for the first time) that the oil was thick and we probably have a sludge problem. They said they would need to "drop the oil pan" to determine and that because they had our best interests in mind and did not want us to spend more money if it was not necessary, they put in some oil additive (Marvel Mystery) which would hopefully help "clean things up." The advisor I might notice some "residual" smoke until everything "burned off." I said ok, wrote the $1200 check, got in the car, proceeded to accelerate on to the highway, and noticed right away that it was still laying the bluish/grayish smoke (albeit not as bad as when we dropped it off). I immediately turned around and took the car back.

The next business day I was contacted by the service manager who talked about a possible sludge problem again and also mentioned for the first time that possibly the turbo was failing or had gone bad. I asked why, if it was sludge problem, would there have been a sudden onslaught of the smoking vs. some sort of gradual build up. He did not really have an answer to that. He suggested we first drive the car for 500-700 miles to see if the oil additive worked but, if not, we would like to have the oil pan dropped and/or turbo replaced. To his credit, he offered to drop the oil pan and replace it for free if there was no sludge problem. He also offered to give us a used, but working, turbo off a vehicle that was in his shop getting a full engine replacement. If it turns out there is a sludge problem, he suggests doing the clean up and replace the turbo (all of which is willing to do for another $1200). I asked him whether they had done a compression test for other possible signs of oil leaking and he responded that he was "confident" the car did not have compression issues.

The dealer drove the car for 85-100 miles around town and on the interstate and then I went and picked it back up. At this time, the service manager told his "gut" said we would have to do the oil pan and turbo (particularly if the smoking did not clear up). When I asked again about why the car would suddenly start smoking, he said that a turbo failure could be more or less a sudden event. I

I don't know much about cars, particularly turbos, but it seems to this layman that sudden smoking in connection with acceleration (it doesn't smoke at all while idling) would at least suggest a turbo problem. Are the symptons described indicative of a failing/bad turbo? Is this something that can be checked/tested? Given the symptons, should it have been checked/tested before the other work (O2 and mainfold gasket) was done -- i.e., what it a misdiagnosis from the beginning? If I have the other work (oil pan and turbo replaced) done, how likely it is this cure the problem once and for all. Is $2400 a fair price in the end for all this work? Signed -- not sure whether this dealer really has my "best interests" in mind.

Blue-gray smoke means burning oil but 85K is awful young for a turbo failure. Given the alleged presence of sludge, I would investigate the possibility of a clogged PCV system before I did anything else.

You got hosed.I brought mine in to diagnose a reduced engine performance message and they suggested i give them $800 to replace a faulty leak detection pump.It needed a new gas cap gasket.I do believe the service managers only interest is in changing out parts to benefit the dealers bottom line and has little interest in actually solving your root cause .I expected since they see these cars every damn day that they would know what the problem was imediately.No,they just wanted to start randomly throwing my money at it.They alsosaid car needed a new electronic throttle pedal,which my selling dealer had claimed to just have replaced before i bought it.Go to a reputable independent Volvo tech,the dealer is just there to hose you and the company with overpriced warranty work and poorly diagnosed simple recurring problems that these cars have inherently by design.They are great cars once you get them dialed in .