Default "CLANK" noise when start moving!!!

I have post this at the XC70 2008+ forum, but not response ; so lets try here!

I am a little concern because my XC70 is making a clunking noise when I engage from drive to reverse or vice versa (reverse being louder usually). The noise sounds like it is coming from the rear.
    I have previously post this issue, but didn’t receive enough information.
    The dealership knows this problem, but they didn’t find anything wrong. I have driven many Volvos AWD during last few years because the dealership’s owner is my friend, and some cars do the same. I am pretty familiar with Land Rover, and some Freelanders1 does it too, and I think it was from viscous coupling (“HALDEX”).
    They are requesting info to Volvo Spain, but nothing yet.
    Have someone hire something lake this? Any help?
    Try it!! with your window open engage drive and go forward accelerating just few meters. Then engage reverse and when you accelerate just a little for few meters you can hire a light CLICK or CLANK… CLAK. Not all XCs do this, but just try it!!!!

Thanks in advance

YURI BILBATUA
    (ARS) XE1UN / EA1HCZ

15 XC60 SUMMUM D4 AWD

09 XC70 D5 OCEAN RACE (Sold)
    (Spain)

05 DISCOVERY 3 V8 G4 CHALLENGE
    (Spain)

13 FREELANDER2 (LR2) SI4
    (Mexico)

Does the noise happen coincident when you put the car in gear with your foot on the brake and not moving?

OR

Is there no clunk on putting the car in drive while braked, and the clunk occur only a second or two after you release the brakes and start moving?

If it's the first I would suspect some wear elated play in the driveshaft joints.

If it's the second, it might be just the ABS/TRACS system doing its self test. I believe there has been mention here on the forums of the self test making a slight clunk when it occurs.

An improperly adjusted e brake could make a series of repetitive light clicks on drive away, had this problem myself when I first took delivery of my (used) 98XC.

Recommend you re post this thread in one of the other specific car forums. I for one very rarely read this general one, generally only read the 1997-2000 forum for info on my 98 XC.

Quote Originally Posted by StoningtonXC70 View Post
    Does the noise happen coincident when you put the car in gear with your foot on the brake and not moving?

OR

Is there no clunk on putting the car in drive while braked, and the clunk occur only a second or two after you release the brakes and start moving?

If it's the first I would suspect some wear elated play in the driveshaft joints.

If it's the second, it might be just the ABS/TRACS system doing its self test. I believe there has been mention here on the forums of the self test making a slight clunk when it occurs.

An improperly adjusted e brake could make a series of repetitive light clicks on drive away, had this problem myself when I first took delivery of my (used) 98XC.

Recommend you re post this thread in one of the other specific car forums. I for one very rarely read this general one, generally only read the 1997-2000 forum for info on my 98 XC.
    The clunk occur only a second or two after I release the brakes and start moving.

Thanks, StoningtonXC70.

YURI BILBATUA
    (ARS) XE1UN / EA1HCZ

15 XC60 SUMMUM D4 AWD

(Spain)

(Spain)

13 FREELANDER2 (LR2) SI4
    (Mexico)

I am a little concern because my XC70 is making a clunking noise when I engage from drive to reverse or vice versa (reverse being louder usually), after I release the brakes and start moving. The noise sounds like it is coming from the rear.
    The dealership knows this problem, but they didn’t find anything wrong. I have driven many Volvos AWD during last few years because the dealership’s owner is my friend, and some cars do the same. I am pretty familiar with Land Rover, and some Freelanders1 does it too, and I think it was from viscous coupling (“HALDEX”).
    Try it!! With your window open engage drive and go forward accelerating just few meters. Then engage reverse and when you accelerate just a little for few meters you can hire a light CLICK or CLANK… CLAK. Not all XCs do this, but just try it!!!!

Thanks in advance

YURI BILBATUA
    (ARS) XE1UN / EA1HCZ

15 XC60 SUMMUM D4 AWD

(Spain)

(Spain)

13 FREELANDER2 (LR2) SI4
    (Mexico)

I know, this is not an XC60, but we have the same HALDEX IV traction system; so…..

I am a little concern because my XC70 is making a clunking noise when I engage from drive to reverse or vice versa (reverse being louder usually), after I release the brakes and start moving. The noise sounds like it is coming from the rear.
    Try it!! With your window open engage drive and go forward accelerating just few meters. Then engage reverse and when you accelerate just a little for few meters you can hire a light CLICK or CLANK… CLAK. Not all XCs do this, but just try it!!!!

Thanks in advance

YURI BILBATUA
    (ARS) XE1UN / EA1HCZ

15 XC60 SUMMUM D4 AWD

(Spain)

(Spain)

13 FREELANDER2 (LR2) SI4
    (Mexico)

Is the noise only when you shift between drive/reverse, or as you let off the brake and start to move forward?

If the former, perhaps you have a sticking brake. My parking brake would stick at one point, and just needed a quick correction. Also in the winter all 4 brakes will sometimes be slightly stuck if the car is parked for long periods of time, due to rust buildup.
    2001 XC70, original trans

It happens few meters or seconds (2 to 3 mts. or 1 to 2 secs.) after start moving. Just after you change rotation way, from forward to reverse or vice versa!!

YURI BILBATUA
    (ARS) XE1UN / EA1HCZ

15 XC60 SUMMUM D4 AWD

(Spain)

(Spain)

13 FREELANDER2 (LR2) SI4
    (Mexico)