Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Try this for smoothing out your tranny

I tried 1/3 bottle of this in both my 01 V70 T5 and 01 V70XC at 123k and 100k miles respectively. It seems to help both tranny to run smoother.

The V70 T5 has random hard 2-1 downshifts which seems to be mostly gone.

The V70XC seems to have perfect shifts from P-R and R-D. I recall some hard shifts periodically before. Nothing bad but now it seems to be incredibly smooth.

If you still have shift problems after ATF flush, B4 servo (some models), replaced broken lower torque mount bushing, and have the latest TCM software installed, you might try this before a valve body or transmission replacement.

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-XC90/Tra...-105-603-5855/
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

I would second that also; I have had this in the XC for about one month. From what I have read it is the same stuff as their regular seafoam, but it seems to have made an improvement in that shifts are smoother and transmission is less clunky. If I remember correctly they recommend putting this in right before a fluid change; I might do that in another 15K or so. I am hoping this plus my magnefine filter will be the ticket to keep this tranny purring. I am thinking about putting some in my DD Buick to clean up that transmission. Great product.

If you want to save on shipping I know my local Advanced Auto Parts carries this as well. Might be worth a check before paying the 7 bucks for shipping. Though if you are buying stuff from IPD already then I would say you should throw it in your cart. Always good to have some on hand!

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

good stuff, but use it just before a flush or drain/ refill.

Pour 1/2 bottle in the tranny, drive the car for 30-45min then flush.
    John, '01 V70 T5
    '04 V70 2.5T

Well, because it's you recommending it Howard I think I'll give it a go. My transmission has had the occasional hard shift in the last few month and I was going to do a drain/refill soon anyway, so why not. I'll pick up a bottle at Advance Auto on my way home.

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    Well, because it's you recommending it Howard I think I'll give it a go. My transmission has had the occasional hard shift in the last few month and I was going to do a drain/refill soon anyway, so why not. I'll pick up a bottle at Advance Auto on my way home.
    By the way, do it at your own risk. The tranny is a really expensive item. I don't want to be blamed for trashing anyone's tranny. But IPD sells it for the cars running these AW55-50 trannys. Thats what gave me confidence to use it.

By the way, I decided to keep 1/3 bottle in my tranny all the time instead of just before flush. According to the transtune website, this can be considered as preventive maintenance. See the "Addressing Rough and Erratic.." from the link below.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-trans-tune.html

Probably a good procedure is... use a can and drive for 30-40min before flushing and add 1/3-1/2 can after flush for preventive. AutoRx engine cleaner seems to suggest the same type of procedure.
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6

Well i've heard only good things about seafoam...but, i too had the funky clunking, harsh downshifting on my 2006 V70 2.5T....lucky for me the car was still under warranty, at first they did a tranny software update and it helped a bit but in the end they did a full valve body job, now it shifts very well..i would suggest to you guys to have your volvo garage check for tranny software updates..it just might help.
    fab

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    By the way, do it at your own risk. The tranny is a really expensive item. I don't want to be blamed for trashing anyone's tranny.
    Well, put about 1/2 a bottle in on Thursday, ran about 100 miles and drained refilled Saturday. I'm usually pretty sensitive to how the TCM responds to acceleration, deceleration etc, and have found myself expecting harsh shifts under certain circumstances and have not been getting them. I kind of hate anecdotal posts like this and really wish there was some better way to tell if the stuff has worked or not, but I can't think of one. We'll see if the harsh shifts return this winter. Anyway, 160K on the car now and it runs as well as ever. Just need new seals fitting in the angle gear, but that's another story...

By the way, my 2-1 hard downshift on my 01 T5 is completely gone. I figure one or both of the following had something to do with it

- 1/3 bottle of Transtune
    - Disconnected battery for 5-6 hours to do my PCV. Might have cleared up TCM's bad shift memories?

Anyway, no real way to tell given the complex transmission + invisible software. But 2-1 hard downshift appears to be history

Seafoam products tend to be miracle workers. I've been using the stuff for over 10 years - first on my motorcycles. Excellent crankcase/tranny cleaners.

Ed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast