Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AWD took a crap :(

Hey guys,

So this is kind of the post I have been dreading since I owned the car. Yes I have searched, and yes I have viewed posts about this, but I would like to start my own thread about this and get some advice/guidance from you guys.

So today I have found that my AWD is INOP, I get a crap load of wheel spin and torque steer leaving lights in the rain today. I have kind of noticed this getting gradually worse and worse over the past week or so, but now I am 100% sure it is shot. I have always had my bevel gear leak, and recently it has gotten much worse, but I am 100% sure their is fluid in the bevel gear. Last time I was under the car I noticed a lot of red rust around around the connecting point of the angle gear to the trans. Is this a sign of my collar sleeve wearing down?

I am currently at school, and will not be at home until thanksgiving break to look at/work on the car. Is it safe to drive on as is. I figure since I know (or assume) the damage isn't internal in bevel gear that I am safe to drive it two wheel drive.

Now here comes my major concern. Once I get the bevel gear off of my XC, how do I get the damn collar sleeve off? I hear all of these horror stories about the collar sleeve not coming off and a new transmission being required. I have 62,000 miles on my XC and their is no way I am dropping 4 grand for a transmission on this baby. If I tear the whole thing apart and find out my collar gear is shot is there anyway to protect the now open connection to the tranny and leave the bevel gear and rear drive shaft off? What kind of effect will this have on the rear diff?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am not too versed in all this AWD nonsense lol

Any help you guys can give me or good links that may help me further understand would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,

Kevin

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

If I am not mistaken (and unfortunately this does happen) then the bevel gear is a fixed-gear device,
    its function being to transfer power towards the rear of the car, but without any ability to engage or
    disengage this transfer. This doesn't mean that the bevel gear can't fail, but if the AWD wouldn't work
    on my car, my first focus would be on the Haldex (Active on Demand coupling) coupling, since
    this is the device that allows power to the rear wheels via the final drive. since you mention that
    the AWD funwtion has degraded over time, it may be a good idea to check the oil level of the AOC.
    This is done by completely filling the housing (content is about 0.5L) and then removing 0.1L.
    Correct fluid is volvo item 116 1620-8 (1L bottle). The AOC has no drain hole, so if you would like to
    find out how much oil is still in there, you will have to suck it out.
    Willy
    Last edited by Willy; 11-05-2010 at 12:35 AM.
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

If your fluid leaked out farther than you may have thought, obviously it will cause a problem!
    The 05 Lava I just sold had a non working AWD when purchased.
    That one was from a bad collar due to the lack of oil.
    Not as big a deal as everyone thinks, but it did need to be removed, resealed and a new collar installed.
    The least expensive is a bad or just a dirty pressure sensor, then what I had repaired, then obviously a new angle gear or Haldex unit... in that order

An 05 is much more likely to have a bad AOC pump or DEM pressure/temp sensor than it is to have a failed sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    The least expensive is a bad or just a dirty pressure sensor, then what I had repaired, then obviously a new angle gear or Haldex unit... in that order
    How do I go about checking the pressure sensor? I assume this would be on the haldex unit correct?

'05 XC70
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Quote Originally Posted by thebracko View Post
    An 05 is much more likely to have a bad AOC pump or DEM pressure/temp sensor than it is to have a failed sleeve.
    AOC pump = Haldex unit? or what?

And the DEM pressure/temp sensor, would this be something I would have to take it to the dealership to scan for?

Thanks,

Kevin

'05 XC70
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Quote Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
    AOC pump = Haldex unit? or what?

And the DEM pressure/temp sensor, would this be something I would have to take it to the dealership to scan for?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Sorta, & likely yes. The AOC pump is part of the Haldex unit & is replaceable. They often develop an internal short to ground, that if left, can eventually blow the fuse for the DEM. Even if it hasn't blown the fuse yet, the pump won't operate normally & you will get inconsistent AWD operation.

I'm not sure if a generic code reader will be able to pull DEM codes. The most common code to see from a bad sensor is DEM-0007.

You can run the car diagnostic to see if there is a code stored in the DEM, even if you can't read the actual code.

Probably the bevel gear collar/sleeve. Those things seemed designed to fail before a larger/more expensive part. There was a thread where someone had to yank it of with a puller as it had become so severely corroded and basically melded to the shaft! Getting the whole system checked first would be my guess... but yeah the rust colored gear oil is tell-tale of a bad sleeve.

Update time!!!

Tore my car apart over this winter break from college to see wtf was up with my AWD... I scanned for codes and was fairly surprised that I did not have a code for the haldex pressure sensor, I was really expecting this to be my issue. After a lot of cursing I broke down and took my bevel gear out of my car...

That is the rust flowing out of my bevel gear when I brake cleaned it... Looks like the damn thing is bleeding from a bullet wound lol

Balls... Stripped out collar sleeve. Insert big f'in hammer and a set of locking vice grips connected to a slide hammer. After much cursing and a possible hernia she finally came out.

Yep... Still stripped, check out the splines on the transmission side for comparison, major difference between the two!

Mountain Dew time

Awwwwww!!! Look at the wittle baby twurbo... whos a good turbo? You are!

New sleeve in, time to put everything back together!

So moral to the story is AWD works again!!! The splines on my bevel gear were a little worn but I am going to keep my fingers crossed and hope they hold up okay. This post goes to show that XC70's truly do have the power to rage on the splines. My car has 65k on it, so I would attribute a lot of it to my driving style, but still a very early failure.

P.S. I am a ding dong and bought the entire collar sleeve repair kit deal for a manual transmission, so if any of you R guys are out there keep an eye on the classified section I will be posting up the kit for sale soon. Comes with the new collar sleeve 2 new trans seals, new angle gear bolts, and some other gasket type thingie that I don't know what its for because my automatic didn't have one. Only thing gone from the kit is the spline grease, but I really think any form of anti-seize should work just fine

'05 XC70
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast