Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think in an accident, the dog would hit the back of the seat first, not the gate, unless it was standing up at the time. Most of the time they lay down when moving, at least my dog does. Anyway, if you are that concerned with the steel gate, you could always wrap some foam padding around the steel to help cushion impact if it were to ever happen.
    2004 Volvo XC70 - Ruby Red - Sand Leather - Premium package - Touring Package - Versatility package - USA Spec Ipod Adapter. - Mudflaps - Euro wing loadbars - 12" Alpine-X sub - 55w 4500K HIDs

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - All Black - Tinted - 17" rims - silicone hose kit - 3" DP SS turbo back magnaflow exhaust - boost gauge - 13 lbs boost.

1991 Ford Mustang Convertible LX - Triple Black - 306CI V8 - Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust - T5z - 4.10 posi

Neither is safe for the dog, as the dog will be subject to g forces and impact during a collision.
    I use a safety harness and tether from Champion http://usak9outfitters.com/CCSS.htm connected to the rear attachment point. The harness/tether allows the dog to lie down, sit or stand and most importantly anchors the animal somewhat during an impact. Short of doggy airbags, I don't know of anything better.-Dick
    BTW our dog is an Australian Labradoodle and weighs 80#'s.
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

I also use this harness, but only when my dog site on the rear seat (when travelling with cargo).
    These harnesses are definitely a good idea!
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I bought the beige steel grate and installed it this morning. It looks great and folds up to the headliner when not needed. The design and fit is excellent....of course it is oem so I shouldn't be surprised. Feels very strong and snug up or down. Nice!

Thanks for the tip on redbank new jersey volvo on ebay. They priced it well, included rebate form and shipped it amazingly fast.

Paul

Clearly the steel grate is the consensus. I've had it in a 2004 and I have since used the 2008+ version and it's still fantastic.

I have a Newfoundland dog and he's about 140 pounds of fur and slobber. On the covering of the floor, I didn't want to spend the cash for the OEM covers, so I went to Costco and bought an indoor/outdoor rug for 20 bucks that fits pretty well. I cut it down to fit the trunk area, and it's very functional.

I use the net and I have to say, it's pretty strong, stronger than I expected. If you lift the seats though and put in a cover, the dog is good with a harness attached to the sb in the back seat. I had a friend once that had a collision and the dog was thrown through the windshield, died, either way you safe, but the 140lb dog? I'd go with the gate. My dog is only 70lbs though.

Default dog guard

I have a 2001 ocean race that has the fold down steel dog guard, it works wel and folds up on hydraulic shocks when you dont need it i.e need to shove a washing maching and and a fridge into the back. Or fold it up so you can camp in the back??

Another thing that we have here in the uk is a company called "Barjo" i bought a steel tail gate cover form them which allows me to open the tail gate and leave the dogs in and secure in the back with plenty of air and able to see whats going on outside. I know you were asking about the grate between the back seat and teh boot but the tailgate guard is something to think about. Check out www.barjo.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12