Default Bye Bye 99 Xc70 It Was Fun While It Lasted,the chronicles from beginning to the end

Found her on craigslist. I originally looked at her and didnt want it. Previous owner wanted $1000 for it with a trashed interior and blown head gasket. After several emails and looked at her again and gave a $400 offer and we settled on $600. Because of this car, i learned alot about Volvo's and gained alot of freinds because of it, Justin became one of my speed dail numbers. She needed a complete overhaul, Justin needed parts to be bought.

Aug 2008

Sept 2008

Oct 2008
    This when she was back together running 100% all fixed up. Original plan was flip and sell. By this time i had $2250 invested into her including the car. So i was planning to sell it for profit, $4500 seemed fair. I ended up selling my 2004 Nissan Armada instead. Then i became attached to the wagon life style.

Jan 2009
    I get to experience first hand what a bad ETM is like. Hello XeMODeX
    I was good for the milage, under 200k, but my car had a delivery date of 10/19/1998 missed it by a few weeks, its ok. we got dicked around by the dealer with my mom's 2000xc70 by the dealership. she got a XeMODeX ETM too now.

March 2009
    I find out the hard way that you need to use loctite when reusing torque converter bolts. The backed out and toasted the AWD tranny about 95 miles from home. two flatbed trips, one to get off the NJ turnpike ($260 for 8 Miles) and one from my cousins house to my house 95miles just under the 100 mile limit! Thanks to JippiJack, i get a used torque conveter and try the drop subframe method of transmission removal. FYI: dont try that at home with out a lift. If jack didnt help me lift that SOB up off the floor and shove it in there it would still be on the floor right now today!! LOL

April 2009
    The torque converter bolts actually fubar'd the transmission too. CEL would say torque converter lock up malfuntion ****. New tranny from a 99 S70 gets delivered from ebay vendor for $450 shipped with 90k !! This time engne and TRANS comes out the top. In and out in one weekend.

May 2009
    I see one of the Philippine guys camouflage their 2001+ XC70's. My wheels start turning and i start with bigger tires 205/70/15 Cooper Discovery LT 6ply light truck tires. Rode really really nice with them. smooth as silk. Rubbed like a mofo until some things were tweaked and all is well. I also acquired a Yakima Load warrior cargo basket from 2006 Nissan Xterra dealer trade in. JippiJack provided the cross bars.I did the raised white letters on the tires at first.

June 2009
    Justin provided the 15" Full size XC70 spare so thats when the tire went up. another step closer to the Urban Assault Vehicle look.

The look was ok, it was missing something, CAMO

Even after all that, it was still missing something from the look. I wanted the african safari Land Cruiser look thing going on. so talking to some of my truck buddies, i was given a light bar from a 98-04 Ford F250 SuperDuty. with some sparks and grinding

And some hella lighting. one set of driving lights and one set of fog lights. No overkill in lighting here!

Little ones just didnt do it these are 4" btw

7.5" is much better

We cant waste the 4" fog lights, so i had to put it somewhere. I found a good place for them here!!

Here is a video of the lights

Winter 2010 was when i really loved my XC70 these pictrues showed why!
    One of my favorites

May 2010
    All my babies together

Genuine Army Jerry Cans

July 2010
    Family Reunion week @ Harrisburg PA. Heater core explodes. Justin is out of town for the weekend, Prezman doesnt have a heater core for spare. So i drive 220 miles round trip home and get one from my house. 30 minutes later I am back up and running, car was down for all of 12hrs. good thing it broke 3 miles from the rental house. i find out weeks later that Justin's shop is 8 miles from the rental property and he also has a used one on the shelf and i could have helped myself to what i needed even though he wasnt in town! ARRG.
    My wife spent $5 and used two tries on the GIANT CLAW game at Hershey park to get this Minion, I spent $80+ and ended up with nothing. PRICELESS.

Car was loaded to the max

Used every single inch of space in the XC70. I got back on a Sunday night and that was the day I knew i wanted another Volvo. There was a 2004 XC90 T6 with a bad transmission for sale on Swedespeed and i was the second person to contact the seller. JRL/Jim was the first, found this out later when the seller was trying to put me and Jim in a bidding war. I backed off and JRL got it for cheap. Thats when i started getting a hard on for a XC90 and found a 2004 XC90 T6 AWD. Yes a T6, this one already got two trannies done and the last one had 5k on it. With receipts to back up the claimed work, i scheduled a meet. this didnt happen till 4 days later, didnt get my hopes up but the cards were in my favor. Original asking price was $7000, a little negotiation and cash in hand, i bought it for much less than that.

Aug 2010
    My cousin wanted a V70R so we were talking about a car up in Massachusetts thats been for sale on VS since may started at $4500 and now was down to $4k, he ended getting it for $3700ish IIRC. Since i was selling my XC70, my cousin reaped the benifits of the "extras" that i had on my XC70. first to disappear was the euro rails and crossbars, then the third row seat, then of course the XC grill, then the HID headlights went into the XC90's tail lights :P, then the Eclipse Navigation, and some other misc items. when the XC70 was ready for sale she looked like this

She was naked again, no more Audio, backup camera,roof rack, navigation or remote start and alarm. Ended up selling the car on craigslist for $3150 to a fine gentleman that is going to drive it on a cross country trip. His plans are to put a hitch on it and tow a pop up camper and go see america for a month or two. I personally didnt think that was a good idea and i told him how i felt. He did some research and felt it was ok. I told him about everything i ever did to it, showed pictures of the worked done, and stacks of reciepts to back it up.

Oct 6th he came by and test drove it and before he left, i got a deposit. Today Oct 9,2010 almost after two years of ownership, i put her on a flatbed and send her off to her new owner. Ironically thats the same way, the same truck, the same driver that dropped it off with me back in 2008.
    There she goes......

Remembered, never forgotten. This XC did get replaced by another XC....a XC90. Man i love the newer platform Volvo's. They are much nicer and more comfortable, but so much more $$ to maintain. its all a give and take huh?
    1998 Olive Green V70 T5 Manual - 155k Awesome car http://tinyurl.com/85mh7z3
    2003 Nautic Blue XC90 T6 3rd tranny - 162k Modded http://tinyurl.com/74pwukq
    2001 Nautic Blue C70 T5 Manual - 92k Not stock at all http://tinyurl.com/75zhepq
    Past Volvo's 94 855T+Manual,95 850GLT,97 850R BTCC Replica,98 850NA,99 XC70

Bye!
    (That was a neat XC)

Very cool! Pics of the new volvo's?

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

This thread has really inspired me, I looks just like what I want my XC to look like!!

Thanks alot

How does anyone trash a 1999 Volvo XC70 in 158640 miles?
    My 1999XC70 purchased new by me in 1999 has about 150K miles. It's my daily driver.
    ETM paid for by Volvo, ABS module replaced, blown emergency brake rotor replaced, trans flushed, small A/C leak we can't find with dye but just recharge every Spring, usual suspension, motor mount replacements and new CAT exhaust I believe.
    Runs great and of the three XC70's I own, the best driver car.
    You did a nice job on your 1999!
    I hope to get at least 200k Miles out of it.
    I got 267K miles out of our 740GLE before I gave it to the Indy Volvo repair I use.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

MANY of these I've looked at to buy and sell are totally trashed by 100K miles (or less).
    I've bought them with bad transmission at 60K miles!!!
    If they're not serviced properly (or serviced much at all) they WILL disintegrate!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Awesome

I've always wanted to put raised white letter tires on our XC90... Anyone else here do it or you all stuck with the black walls?