Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just finished making my DIY HD TCV this weekend - but I did replace the two top vacuum hoses a few weeks ago and for the first tie since I've had the car, I can hear the turbo. It's still lagging in the power department so I'm hoping a new TCV will help. I tried the 'red' hose, but the 'fingers' on the hose clamp are pointing up toward the engine and it's a pain to get to it with any tool or even my own fingers. I might just cut away at it until it comes off. It's not like you replace it every day.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

Default Question for all you TCV hose experts

Attached is a diagram of the TCV and hoses. Are the two "top" hoses you're saying are easiest to replace the "blue" and the "yellow" hoses? I have a "green" hose that comes out facing the front of the car (toward the radiator). Is this the hard one... AKA the bottom one?

I've got a 2001 XC70. the ipd TCV is arriving this Friday w/ the 7' of hose. I even ordered the 11" needle nose offset plyers to help... of course they were backorderd.

Thanks for you help!

Nope, the hard one is your hose labeled BLUE.

That connects to the bottom of the turbo, and you need to remove the large turbo intake hose. Still is tight to get to the clamp from above.

So best is to loosen the clamp from below, then replace the hose from above.
    John, '01 V70 T5
    '04 V70 2.5T

Quote Originally Posted by jda2000 View Post
    Nope, the hard one is your hose labeled BLUE.

That connects to the bottom of the turbo, and you need to remove the large turbo intake hose. Still is tight to get to the clamp from above.

So best is to loosen the clamp from below, then replace the hose from above.
    Thank you. I'll have to see where the green one goes. You've probably saved me a lot of grief!

the "green" one connects to a nipple at the end of the large intake hose to the turbo, just before the turbo.
    John, '01 V70 T5
    '04 V70 2.5T

Quote Originally Posted by jda2000 View Post
    the "green" one connects to a nipple at the end of the large intake hose to the turbo, just before the turbo.
    Got it done. Man, what a difference. Now I have to wash the car so it looks as new as it drives. This was the last piece. This connection was hidden by a bigger hose on top of it. Couldn't have done it with out all your help. Thanks!

Default replacing turbo lines

Have been following this project with great interest and it has helped me no end. However I would like to point out a few details. MY01 has a plastic clip which slots into a metal bracket on the side of the engine block, immediately underneath the metal lifting eye. The bracket holds the turbo control lines, an electrical sender cable and a PCV line marked with a white band.

My normally very resourceful and helpful parts supplier Volvo Swansea say it does not exist in their VIDA nor any parts list. Mine is broken - plastic and rubber become brittle over time - and being a purist it goes against the grain just to resort to cable ties! Another minor point but a trap for the unwary. The colour coding bands (just adhesive tape) can fall off. They can also fade deceptively with heat and chemicals. My "blue" and "green" are clear when seen together but individually the green is easy to take for blue and vice versa!

I got my silicone tube from Merlin Motorsport (Castle Combe, Somerset) they have a web page and online ordering is a sinch also cost; package and posting very reasonable. I have never had anything but excellent service from them!
    Last edited by nickbw; 11-06-2011 at 06:09 PM.

So I'd love to do this for my 07 as the turbo lag is getting quite annoying. However, I need some clarification:
    1. I gather from the posts that the actual TCV does NOT need to be replaced to get results.
    2. You only need to replace 2 of the 3 hoses as noted previously.

So that leads to my question: Looking on iPD, the only thing I see related to the TCV is their HD TCV kit and blue tubing by the foot (5mm inside diameter). Is this the tubing I need to buy (7 feet I gather)? I keep looking for something on iPD that has red, blue, and yellow tubing, or does that just refer to the labels on the original volvo hoses? Thanks for clearing this up for me.

1 Yes quite right unless your TCV is very tired or stopped working. My original is almost 12 years old and still OK.
    2 The colours are just to reference the individual connections/runs/ The hose colour is immaterial. Again it depends on the condition of the originals as they become porous with age., the green and yellow become a bypass so I suppose the blue is most critical. I don't think there is any proof the HD TCV performs any better. My understanding is that the tcv is run by the ECU which calls the shots but can only compensate so far - so if a line is open it will throw a spanner in the works. If you are really unhappy with your setup it is worth checking the setup of the wastage. This requires a simple hand pump and preferably pressure gauge on a sort length of tcv tubing. Remove the heat shield and disconnect the waste gate rod ensure it is adjusted so that it closes and opens at the correct pressure - mine is 1.8 psi I think B5244T3 engine, there is a table giving boost pressure per engine version and an excellent YouTube video.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12