Exclamation Positions I, II, III - warning lights

Hello!

I just purchased a 2002 xc and there was not a manual to accompany it. I have been searching forums for what is probably a simple answer, but so far no luck.

When I turn the car to Position II, the check engine light and the oil lamp are illuminated. They disappear from the message screen when I start the car and it's running.

Is Position II where you "check" for updates and recommended services? Why would those two lights not be on when the car is running?

Lastly, do those (2) lights on together mean anything? Or are they separate problems.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Completely normal. The car just checks if everything is allright, you should worry when the lights dont go out.

Btw, owners manuals here:
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=12
    Current Cars:
    1994 BMW 850 CiA (151k km) Diamond Schwartz. A chipped 5.0 liter V12 4-speed auto with every option imaginable.
    1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible Survivor (44k miles). A 7,7l, 472 cid, 3 ton monster doing 6 MPG.

Previous Cars:
    2004 XC70 2.5T (Died at 173k km) Saphire Black with black interior. RTI, manual seats and an automatic 5-speed.

"My wife has now officially banned me from any more automotive DIY." - jyanno

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoll View Post
    Hello!

I just purchased a 2002 xc and there was not a manual to accompany it. I have been searching forums for what is probably a simple answer, but so far no luck.

When I turn the car to Position II, the check engine light and the oil lamp are illuminated. They disappear from the message screen when I start the car and it's running.

Is Position II where you "check" for updates and recommended services? Why would those two lights not be on when the car is running?

Lastly, do those (2) lights on together mean anything? Or are they separate problems.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    As Adrian states this is completely normal. It is also standard on all cars regardless of make.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff