Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Loud clunk noise under rear floor

Recently purchased a 98 XC with 153k and it's a beautiful car but when you first start out when it's cold and turn a corner there's a loud thud (like someone hit the floor board with a mallet) under the rear passenger floor. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that this is an early signal that the rear drive line is failing. The reason I purchased the car is for the AWD feature. The VIN is 484853. Of course I purchased the car from an individual from another state so there is no warranty. I bought the car knowing that the turbo was shot so the price was plenty low but after replacing the turbo I'm not excited about spending a couple grand more to replace this shaft. Any words of encouragement out there?

I just had the same issue and it turned out to be a busted sway bar bracket.
    Get it on a lift and look there first
    It's all one piece so no parts available but you can buy a good used one from erie for not too much money, (under $75) if that's the problem
    www.erievovo.vom 1-888 VOLVO- 13

Don't have such a gloom and doom outlook until you find out what's wrong and learn about your XC

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I just had the same issue and it turned out to be a busted sway bar bracket.
    Get it on a lift and look there first
    It's all one piece so no parts available but you can buy a good used one from erie for not too much money, (under $75) if that's the problem
    www.erievovo.vom 1-888 VOLVO- 13

Don't have such a gloom and doom outlook until you find out what's wrong and learn about your XC
    Right on, I appreciate the advice! I happen to own a 98 V70 AWD parts car (not an XC)- would that have the correct sway bar I would need?

Not sure, probably
    AWDs do not use Nivomats so it may be different, you would have to measure

Not sure, probably
    AWDs do not use Nivomats so it may be different, you would have to measure
    Thanks for the tip JRL I really appreciate it, I'll check it out.

Anyone out there know about the compatibility of these two suspension systems (AWD v XC)?

XC's have Nivomat rear shocks which is compatable to nothing (no aftermarket available)
    AWD (I think) use regular shocks in the rear.
    You cannot swap between the two

The front suspensions of all these cars are 100% interchangeable from 98 -2000

XC's have Nivomat rear shocks which is compatable to nothing (no aftermarket available)
    AWD (I think) use regular shocks in the rear.
    You cannot swap between the two

The front suspensions of all these cars are 100% interchangeable from 98 -2000
    Wow so you're telling me that replacing that sway bar and bracket involves swapping the shocks as well? Oh wait... I think I get it... the sway bar bracket also is the mount for the shocks. I'll just hafta get under there and take a look so I have a better idea what we're talking about here. Thanks again JRL!!

None of the above
    Where would you get that idea?
    I mentioned the shocks because the bar may be shaped a hair differently because of the larger diameter of the Nivomats, that's all

None of the above
    Where would you get that idea?
    I mentioned the shocks because the bar may be shaped a hair differently because of the larger diameter of the Nivomats, that's all
    Wow, for a minute there I thought I heard my dad...

Where would you get THAT idea?

In any event, thanks for the heads-up, I'll take a look and officially stop making dumb-ass statements.

Peace

OK JRL, I finally got a chance to back the XC up on some ramps and slide under there and take a look. Holy Crap! All I know is there is a LOT going on back there! Axles and shafts and bars and sub frames and springs and shocks and cables and pipes and... well anyway, I really didn't know what I was looking for and didn't see anything that looked like it was cracked/broken/moving or otherwise bumping on the underside of the floor boards. But the clunk is still there, and is most prevalent when the car is first driven. It seems to not happen so much after it has warmed up, and when it does it's during a turn or a change in torque (on/off the throttle).

I know, not a very thorough diagnosis but like I said, I really didn't know what I was looking for.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast