Default High pressure headlamp washer pump removal: Help please

OK, I recently noticed the high pressure headlight wash isn't working. I've checked the fuse, I've checked the relay, I've even shorted the relay contacts out to put 12v down to the pump, nothing happens, no sound from the pump.

The car is an '07 XC70 (last of the nice ones), I can get to the resevoir simply enough, there's an easily removed cover in the bottom of the bumper, but before I start yanking and prising to get the pump out I want to be sure I'm not going to break something.

What's the best method for getting the pump out of the resevoir, and refitting the new one?

Any other advice most welcome
    Last edited by TiredGeek; 09-10-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Just grab the dead bastard and pull on it. Give it twist while pulling....it'll come out.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Ah Ha ! Thanks.
    That's exactly what I thought, and tried, but the stubborn little bugger doesn't want to shift
    As wifey pointed out, I tend to break expensive things doing this so I thought I'd just ask the Gods for enlightenment before I started yanking about. Knowing my luck I'd have pulled the front bumper off when it was something as simple as a hidden clip
    I'll order a new pump and when it comes I'll rip the old one out using brute force and ignorance

OK, new pump fitted and working

The old pump does just pull out, but, it's a bugger.
    The outlet side is inside the bumper and has clips on the pipe fitting so it doesn't just pull off and you can't get your hand in to release it.
    There is a big clip around the pump and the inlet to the pump sticks out the end into the res.
    The power plug clips on the back of the pump and you can't get your fingers in to release it.
    You can't just pull the pump straight back as the outlet hits the side of the res, you can't rotate the pump to clear the res because the outlet pipe won't let you.
    The big clip is extemely strong and because of the inlet pipe sticking out the end into the res you can't just lever the pump down out of the clip.

So, close your eyes, get hold of the end of the pump with the power plug and yank it down HARD. It pulls out of the clip and then you can pull it back and down to get it out of the res.
    Don't look at what you're doing, it'll only frighten you (and you'll get windscreen wash in your eyes. Ask me how I know).
    Unclip the outlet pipe, unplug the power lead. Throw old pump away.

Fitting is nearly as bad because now you've pulled on the outlet pipe to give a bit of slack, when it goes back in it tries to kink. And it's hard to get the pump inlet through the res grommet as you're trying to feed it in on a severe angle (a bit of washing up liquid helps). You can clip the power lead on afterwards tho...

Typical Volvo design. With the bumper off this would have been so much easier as then the outlet pipe would have been easily accessed and would have to be taken off when removing the bumper. Then again, a slightly bigger access panel in the underside of the bumper would let you get your hand in to the clips. Just an inch bigger would make all the difference, and yes I was tempted to cut it !

For anyone interested the Volvo part number for the high pressure headlight wash pump is: 30699674. Made by Valeo marked 89032971 on the body. £47 uk.

I'm going to resurrect this old thread because I just went through this job, also on a 2007. I'm afraid though that I had to use this thread as the 'how not do it' example. Much easier to remove the bumper cover.

Step 1: Remove the bumper cover. It's literally 5 minutes work. 6 plastic clips, two 10mm bolts, two T 25 torx screws, and it's laying on the floor. See this thread:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=9&t=48672

Disconnect the hose connection to the headlight washers at the front bumper as you remove the bumper. Push it together, squeeze the release tab, pull it apart. (have a drain pan ready) Disconnect the fog lights when the bumper is laying on the ground.

Release the hose from the pump to the bumper from the plastic clips holding it in place on the reservoir.

TURN the pump 180 degrees so the hose points straight down. Release the outlet hose by pushing it together, squeezing the two yellow tabs, and pulling it apart. Lots more drainage now. Might as well wait for all the fluid to drain.

Disconnect the electrical connector. Squeeze the tab down, and pull it apart.

PULL the pump straight out of the tank. With the outlet pipe pointing straight down, it'll pull straight forwards easily.

I didn't measure any voltage at the plug when operating the washers, even though I ran them several times. The motor was jammed or stuck though, I whacked it on the floor a few times with 12V applied and it started up. I put it all back together until the new motor arrives.

This is the first service issue my '07 has had. 59,000 km.

Damn junky Swedish Valeo parts! Just had the washer pump fail again. "Swiss made" pfft. I think I need to find a Chinese one. Last one lasted 16 months. At least I know how to change it now.

Guess who's back! I have the pump in my hands. Dripping from the weep hole and draining my windshield washer fluid. Time for pump #4! Car now at 205,000 km. The one here in my hands lasted 5 years, so not too bad.