Default Cargo Box Recommendations

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a cargo box, but I'm not sure just how big some of the options are on the XC70 (I have a 2010 T6). Will a 90-in long box look too big on the vehicle?

Primarily, I'm looking to use the box for extra travel capacity with the kids, but I'm keen on ski (alpine and nordic), beach, and camping use, too. I've used Yakima products in the past, and I do have the OEM wing crossbars installed.

Any photos, thoughts, or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Default 1 box... 3 different looks

I'm currently using a Yakima cargo box. Purchased in 2004 to go with our new (at that time) 2004 V70 2.5T. As you can see, it's quite universal with our other wagons. The intent was for carrying items needed for long road trips while keeping the inside of the vehicle completely free of clutter since we also travel with dogs.

Not sure if it's still available, but it is similiar to the current Yakima Rocket Box although ours measure approx. 80"L, 33"W, and 15"H. Looks can be deceiving because this particular box carries more than we originally thought. It has weathered thru all sorts of conditions and have kept all contents dry even after days in driving rain. I wouldn't go on a long distance drive without it.

In the past, we've used inexpensive nylon cargo bags and even the ugly, clunky "turtle" cargo box on our former 1990 740 wagon which had a luggage rack rather than rails and crossbars. The more aerodynamic boxes are truly the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Just got back from our first road trip in our '09 XC70 T6 with a Thule Atlantis 1800 box - it is the perfect size - enough clearance to open the hatch but does not hang over the windshield. It is 84" long. It was pretty quiet on the freeway too, overall very happy with it.

I use the Thule Ascent 1700 box.