Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chinese....Volvo fabric

Geely decided to build a Volvo fabric in China. I am afraid that I am driving my last Volvo. China usually has the policy to deliver three qualities. First quality for China, second for Europe and third for USA.
    I don't have a car, I drive XC70

I agree that these developments are very sad indeed.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

2001 Volvo XC70 (PJ-810)
    2007 Volvo XC70
    2001 BMW 530i Touring MSport

Past:
    1987 240GL
    1982 244GLE
    1978 245L (Manual)
    and: 1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 1995 Peugeot 605SV

UGH!!!! I was really afraid this was going to come about - well, I guess I will look for a used 2010 XC and back.... or look into an Audi Q5, Lincoln MKX, VW Tourag, or Caddy SRX....

Why don't we reserve judgment until we see the quality of what is actually done?
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo View Post
    Why don't we reserve judgment until we see the quality of what is actually done?
    I just don't want a "made in china" vehicle.
    I don't have a car, I drive XC70

I am glad I bought my two new Volvos before they moved to China.
    and stay positive.

Y'all need to hold on just a bit before you go off the deep end. Volvo has had a factory in China for some time. The chinese factory services the chinese market only, specifically the chinese S80, which is a foot or so longer than the normal S80. Geely bought Volvo for a lot of reasons. None of those reasons was to drive the brand into the ground.

As of right now they will still continue to operate the swedish and belgian factories.

Agreed. I would guess that the Chinese plant is meant to serve the Chinese market. And even so, when I used to go to China frequently I rode in several Chinese-built Audi A6's and they seemed to be built well enough.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

In case you have been living in a cave under a rock for the past few decades or so, here is what has happened in the world of 'branding'.
    Purchase a company with an established brand name, preferably old name associated with quality of the product. Source that product where cheaper labor, raw materials, regulation of workers and working conditions as well as environmental aspects are not regulated. Charge the same monetary value as the previous products. Result, a large increase in 'the bottom line'. Whether or not the product is as well made as before is almost a certainty to have sacrificed some aspect of the original product.
    Result, a product not as well made and over priced that for a time will sell to individuals associating that brand with past performance.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Quote Originally Posted by MAD View Post
    Geely decided to build a Volvo fabric in China. I am afraid that I am driving my last Volvo. China usually has the policy to deliver three qualities. First quality for China, second for Europe and third for USA.
    actually, china makes things in 1 quality...bad.
    they will not make any changes to the volvo manufacturing for the western market ...for now. but slowly and surely they will begin to replace parts made in sweden and belgium for chinese made parts. it will start small but it will surely take over. some of the parts will be made in china and labeled sweden. one manufacturer of furniture once told me i can have any country of origin printed on the goods and the boxes...
    the chinese have yet to prove they can be trusted. to them, profit comes before reputation.

okihiro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast