Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Whirring in engine - not power steering...I think its PCV related

Hi there,

I just bought a used 2004 v70 with 62k miles on it. Had some issues with it previously (oil pickup seals and intake manifold gasket leak), but now its running happily.

When checking the engine over after doing a tranny flush, spark plugs, and oil, I noticed a whirring or humming coming from the engine bay. It sounds sort of like when you blow over a pipe but in a higher octave. I couldnt find the noise with a pipe and holding it to my ear, so the item making the noise is not easily accessible. Ive done some searching and found that it is probably related to the PCV breather system (which may be why i couldnt find it with the pipe since its under the intake manifold).

I have negative pressure (quite a lot it seems by doing the glove test over the oil cap filler hole, and noticed that when I take out the oil dip stick or oil cap the whirring goes away.

I did more googling and there was a similar problem with a 2004 s40 but the answers for that issue were either an oil flter housing tear (which said you have to remove the oil pan), or the pcv valve...

Other than the noise, the car seems to run ok. I just dont want to have any major issues popping up in the near future related to this whirring noise.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Jerrymcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drinnird View Post
    Hi there,

I just bought a used 2004 v70 with 62k miles on it. Had some issues with it previously (oil pickup seals and intake manifold gasket leak), but now its running happily.

When checking the engine over after doing a tranny flush, spark plugs, and oil, I noticed a whirring or humming coming from the engine bay. It sounds sort of like when you blow over a pipe but in a higher octave. I couldnt find the noise with a pipe and holding it to my ear, so the item making the noise is not easily accessible. Ive done some searching and found that it is probably related to the PCV breather system (which may be why i couldnt find it with the pipe since its under the intake manifold).

I have negative pressure (quite a lot it seems by doing the glove test over the oil cap filler hole, and noticed that when I take out the oil dip stick or oil cap the whirring goes away.

I did more googling and there was a similar problem with a 2004 s40 but the answers for that issue were either an oil flter housing tear (which said you have to remove the oil pan), or the pcv valve...

Other than the noise, the car seems to run ok. I just dont want to have any major issues popping up in the near future related to this whirring noise.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks in advance!
    There is a bladder in the breather box that makes the noise...It is little known and Volvo will deny it, but the warranty on this particular item was extended to ten years...The way you did it is the classic way of checking, pull the dipstick and if the noise goes away it is the breather box...Have it taken care of ASAP because the car will start to consume oil with the oil collecting in the breather box...The intake manifold has to be removed to get at the breather box...It happened about a month ago to my daughter's 2005 S-40 and Volvo reluctantly fixed it, but she is the original owner...I don't know if the campaign extends to second owners...It is not a recall, recalls are mandated, so called campaigns are voluntary...

Default v70 not included

Hi, thanks for the post. I called up volvo, and they said it was very likely the breather box. Unfortunately, the warranty is only for the S60/V50 models. Not the v70. Looks like ill be spending around 150 for the whole kit and some time during the weekend.

Ill probably do a 2004 v70 2.4 specific writeup w/pics if I replace this thing.

FWIW, I also spoke to the tech and he mentioned that it wont cause any immediate harm to the system, it may throw a code sometime, but im not in any danger of immediately breaking something.

I have a whirring/whine sound coming from the area near the airbox. It is strange and my wife and I do not remember it being there before. Not from the engine itself.

Any ideas?
    1996 850 GLE (Gone)
    2001 XC70 (Gone)
    2005 S60R (Gone)
    2011 XC90 V8

Jerrymcc Guest

Default Ait box

Hi, thanks for the post. I called up volvo, and they said it was very likely the breather box. Unfortunately, the warranty is only for the S60/V50 models. Not the v70. Looks like ill be spending around 150 for the whole kit and some time during the weekend.

FWIW, I also spoke to the tech and he mentioned that it wont cause any immediate harm to the system, it may throw a code sometime, but im not in any danger of immediately breaking something.
    I don'y think anything will "break" but if you let it go too long the engine might run low on oil because it collects in the breather box...If the crankcase pressure switches over from negative to positive, and it eventually will if this is not taken care of, then it might start losing the oil...

Default well what do you know...

OK an update. Well, drove home from work today and changed my lower torque rod. When I finished, I decided to see if I could hear the pcv breather box/oil trap with a pipe...Turns out the whine is gone...I tested for negative pressure which I had when the whine was there, and well...it was positive.

I found smoke coming out of the oil cap when removed, and when i replaced the cap, and pulled the dipstick, there was smoke coming out of it too.

I guess I gotta replace that pcv breather box sooner than I thought...

Default Breather box diagram for 2004 v70 2.4

So as I prepare for the breather box replacement, I thought I would start documenting my steps...This is the diagram for a 2004 v70 2.4 NA engine PCV system. I didnt see any illustrations that looked like this on this forum since they were for older cars. I also included the parts breakdown from vadis in case anyone else is running into this same issue.

Jerrymcc Guest

They were not being honest with you...My daughter's car is a 2005 S-40 and it was covered, it did not cost a penny...The problem was first diagnosed by an indy (her cousin) and he told her to take it to Volvo...He also warned her that she might have trouble getting them to do it, they don't get paid enough by the factory to make it worthwhile to them and they will try to dodge the bullet...

Default Another update

Heres another update about the progress in obtaining parts and shopping around for my car.

Called volvo dealership and asked about the specific parts for my car. For this issue, they needed a VIN (so if you are also contemplating doing this fix, call the dealership and tell them you need part numbers for an oil trap and associated hoses for your unique model...they will ask for a VIN) because there are several different versions of the oil trap and associated hoses.

For my VIN, these are the PN#'s that I will need.
    oil trap -8653042 - $60.54 (comes with small hose but doesnt come with clamp)
    hose - 9497534 - $24.87
    hose -30650821 - $24
    clamp -977964 - $2.79
    small pvc coupling - 8653339 - $6.42

I shopped around and found that IPD has kits which include the intake manifold gasket and all your hoses you need for a competitive price...actually a bit cheaper than it would cost just to buy the parts individually even without the additional intake manifold gasket.

IPD's oil trap kit part numbers are:
    2E8712
    2E8713
    2E8714

Depending on your car, choose the kit based on the part number for your specific oil trap part number.

I ordered kit 2E8713.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrymcc View Post
    They were not being honest with you...My daughter's car is a 2005 S-40 and it was covered, it did not cost a penny...The problem was first diagnosed by an indy (her cousin) and he told her to take it to Volvo...He also warned her that she might have trouble getting them to do it, they don't get paid enough by the factory to make it worthwhile to them and they will try to dodge the bullet...
    The PCV recall is for P1 cars ONLY (R205, RTJ 20351). I would post details, but Volvo's new TIE Tech Journal database doesn't seem to like my Mac. P2 cars are not covered as it is an entirely different PCV/Oil Trap setup. Warranty pay for oil trap replacement on P1's is more than adequate, and we will NOT try to dodge the bullet on covered items.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast