Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Land Rover fan wants xc70

I'm a big Land Rover fan but i have been looking at this thing called a xc70 volvo.
    I like what I see but I'm afraid of it.
    I do all my own work on my Land Rovers (All 5 kids and wife drive them)and not intimidated to pull heads, valley gaskets etc but KNOW nothing about these things.
    I 've heard 2003 or better due to tranny issues ?
    Serp belt should be changed @110 k and that about all I know.
    Help me out and educate me on these things.or should I just go away.
    What to look for ,what to avoid .. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by singingcamel View Post
    I'm a big Land Rover fan but i have been looking at this thing called a xc70 volvo.
    I do all my own work on my Land Rovers (All 5 kids and wife drive them)and not intimidated to pull heads, valley gaskets etc but KNOW nothing about these things.
    I guess you heard T-Belt and not Serp belt every 110K miles, though you can change that too when you do the T-blet.

These are like any other modern car, just a weird AWD system and lots of electronic modules....

Default well...

If there is one manufacturer that makes Volvo look like a paragon of reliability...that would be Land Rover...followed closely by Jaguar...

What are you looking for? Solid truck with a ladder frame and low range transfer case for off-roading? Buy a Toyota.

Comfortable, safe, European luxury car in a practical size, great quality and AWD? Then you want an XC...

I wouldn't be afraid to dive in if you're looking for an XC. They're a lot better than LR...and it sounds like you can do all the DIY maintenance that costs so much.

Just find a 2003 or later example that has been taken care of (not neglected...as most of them are) and have it checked out thoroughly by a competent, experienced Volvo mechanic
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Well, for starters- let me say I had a '96 D1 that I put 340K miles on...unheard of in Land Rover circles- I finally sold it because everything, and I do mean everything was worn out and I wanted to try something new. The '96's weren't known for being a good year, but I didn't find anything I couldn't repair myself. When the rear main seal went- that's when I decided to sell it to some neighborhood guys and I told them exactly what it needed. It's still going today.

Anyway...
    The XC70 is much more reliable than any of the D1's, and rides oh so much better. Sure, an XC is not going to get to through the Telico ORV area (they've closed most of it anyway) but if you can wrench, an XC is easy as pie- if you follow instructions. I've got 250K+ on mine right now, and it's looking as though it's going to be a good car...but the jury is still out.

The only think I'm scared of is changing the fuel pump in the XC- if I ever have to...the D1 was easy and you could mod a 84 Chevy truck (silverado IIRC) pump inside the housing to work, and it was easy to get to- under the carpet and take up the cap, disconnect the fuel lines, unscrew the cap and viola!

Just there isn't a drain plug on the bevel gears on the XC- have to pump it out from the top- but some guys drill and tap a drain plug on them, which I'm going to do one day. On the D1, you could drain and change the oil on the front hubs.

The worst thing, is there really isn't a manual for the XC like there is for the D1. That's why this website is so valuable- I've been helped so much by the guys on here and they have saved me from making big costly mistakes that I have known to do through the application of excessive force.

That's all I can say- in all, if you are going to keep it for a few years and put a lot of miles on it, the XC won't be the cheapest, but far, far less and ride much better than most Rovers.

My 2¢
    *2005 Ice White XC70
    444K miles and...well...
    Driving the 08 V70 right now.

"Ah! There is nothing like the smell of burning British electrical components in the morning!"

Quote Originally Posted by singingcamel View Post
    I'm in a similar position.

I've been looking for one of these for a few months. Just pulled the trigger on an 89k mile,one owner,dealer serviced '04 XC70. We have put 250k on our '98 V70 GLT, purchased new in '98 through my business. The '98 is still going strong.

I do most of my own work on all of my vehicles and have found the I5, low pressure turbo motor to be very reliable while offering great performance. My history with the V70 made the decision on the XC70 pretty easy.

Like yourself, I'm a LR guy too. I've owned my '01 DII LE since new, now with 144k. It's not a mall crawler, it sees some off-road use. Unlike all of the LR stories about horrible reliability, this one has been good to us. Can't imagine I'll ever part with this truck, it's a part of me.

GregB

As the owner & chief mechanic of several Rangies and Rovers over time (D1 & II and d90) and in particular a 98 p38 with 250k and functional EAS, I'm now the owner of an 01 xc70 I have to say it's different of course, but not at all difficult to work on. I've upgraded the turbo control valve, ECM software and had to mod some poor design flaws- the exhaust hanger to keep if from expanding and rubbing on the drive shaft when running through slush and the rear tailgate wiring harness but its handles well in the snow and with the performance upgrades from IPD, it really screams not as in M5 scream and handling but definitely fun to drive for a wagon and a lot more fun and comfortable than the P38 Range Rover. The car eats lightbulbs like nothing i've ever seen but I've had an independent mechanic turn off the daylight running lights & check the software for the tranny and that seems to have eased things a bit. I did get a relatively low mileage one owner car that was babied and had mobile 1 and premium gas from day one. These cars like their maintenance schedule adhered to, but what car doesn't ?

If you have 13 rovers...

Has the EPA contacted your neighbors questioning the trail of oil leading to your place? Of course, that would be from the only one running!

I know...they were always looking for me. Bet the yard/garage looks like someone parked the Exxon Valdez there- if it doesn't, it isn't English made, or the fluids in everything were replaced with sand.

I'd suggest forgetting the Volvo and go for an MG.
    *2005 Ice White XC70
    444K miles and...well...
    Driving the 08 V70 right now.

"Ah! There is nothing like the smell of burning British electrical components in the morning!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightt View Post
    If you have 13 rovers...

Has the EPA contacted your neighbors questioning the trail of oil leading to your place? Of course, that would be from the only one running!

I know...they were always looking for me. Bet the yard/garage looks like someone parked the Exxon Valdez there- if it doesn't, it isn't English made, or the fluids in everything were replaced with sand.

I'd suggest forgetting the Volvo and go for an MG.
    Yep , they've been here and gone, I now have a contract with the county for road oiling, working out well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightt View Post
    Well, for starters- let me say I had a '96 D1 that I put 340K miles on...unheard of in Land Rover circles- I finally sold it because everything, and I do mean everything was worn out and I wanted to try something new. The '96's weren't known for being a good year, but I didn't find anything I couldn't repair myself. When the rear main seal went- that's when I decided to sell it to some neighborhood guys and I told them exactly what it needed. It's still going today.

Anyway...
    The XC70 is much more reliable than any of the D1's, and rides oh so much better. Sure, an XC is not going to get to through the Telico ORV area (they've closed most of it anyway) but if you can wrench, an XC is easy as pie- if you follow instructions. I've got 250K+ on mine right now, and it's looking as though it's going to be a good car...but the jury is still out.

The only think I'm scared of is changing the fuel pump in the XC- if I ever have to...the D1 was easy and you could mod a 84 Chevy truck (silverado IIRC) pump inside the housing to work, and it was easy to get to- under the carpet and take up the cap, disconnect the fuel lines, unscrew the cap and viola!

Just there isn't a drain plug on the bevel gears on the XC- have to pump it out from the top- but some guys drill and tap a drain plug on them, which I'm going to do one day. On the D1, you could drain and change the oil on the front hubs.

The worst thing, is there really isn't a manual for the XC like there is for the D1. That's why this website is so valuable- I've been helped so much by the guys on here and they have saved me from making big costly mistakes that I have known to do through the application of excessive force.

That's all I can say- in all, if you are going to keep it for a few years and put a lot of miles on it, the XC won't be the cheapest, but far, far less and ride much better than most Rovers.

My 2¢
    Thanks , just what I thought and needed to see..

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    If there is one manufacturer that makes Volvo look like a paragon of reliability...that would be Land Rover...followed closely by Jaguar...

What are you looking for? Solid truck with a ladder frame and low range transfer case for off-roading? Buy a Toyota.

Comfortable, safe, European luxury car in a practical size, great quality and AWD? Then you want an XC...

I wouldn't be afraid to dive in if you're looking for an XC. They're a lot better than LR...and it sounds like you can do all the DIY maintenance that costs so much.

Just find a 2003 or later example that has been taken care of (not neglected...as most of them are) and have it checked out thoroughly by a competent, experienced Volvo mechanic
    Ijust want a reliable well made car other than a Rover..tahnks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast