Default What to look for.

I 've been told the get around 25 on the open road and maybe alittle more dependable then all my disco 1's , I'm looking for 2003 or better.
    Here in Iowa the seem to run around 9-10 k for a 2003 with around 120 -150 k on the clock..
    Whats a good price for a xc70 say 2003 -2004 ..thanks
    www.singingcamel.com

Hey there - welcome to the forum!

I have been into the 240 scene for a while but very recently purchased a 2004 XC70 with 124k on the clock.

I am by no means an expert, but I can tell you about my experience and what has bitten me - hopefully my car's issues can help you out in your search.

I paid a little over $8k for my car, with the knowledge it needed a timing belt ASAP - so I was already in for at LEAST $300 in parts or so or if I got lazy about $800 parts and labor. I didn't worry too much about it at the time, but after getting used to the car I noticed the rotors were a little dished and put that on the list.

The big thing that has befuddled me and pisses me off at the same time - angle gear. When I had the timing belt done I had it in the dealer and paid for a soup to nuts check up - they gave me a short list of things that were wrong and sent me on my way. Not once did they mention "oh, your AWD isn't working and it is going to cost you $3k to fix it."

I had to end up noticing it wasn't functioning, diagnose it, and start collecting parts/line-up facilities to fix it myself.

Poke around here for angle gear/AWD not working threads - google Volvo angle gear - there are some decent R&R vids on youtube too.

Other than that, the obvious stuff - run a CarFax/AutoCheck for accidents, ask for maintenance records, etc.

Had I known about the angle gear/AWD limitations/propensity to fail - I might have stayed away or at least had someone prove to me it had been replaced/serviced from day one.

Look man you can't keep posting the same post over and over
    You now have two threads in this forum and one in another forum stating the same damn thing!
    ..and slightly changing the wording doesn't make it OK.
    You need to RELAX and wait for responses

Default And your point is?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasXC View Post
    Hey there - welcome to the forum!

I have been into the 240 scene for a while but very recently purchased a 2004 XC70 with 124k on the clock.

I am by no means an expert, but I can tell you about my experience and what has bitten me - hopefully my car's issues can help you out in your search.

I paid a little over $8k for my car, with the knowledge it needed a timing belt ASAP - so I was already in for at LEAST $300 in parts or so or if I got lazy about $800 parts and labor. I didn't worry too much about it at the time, but after getting used to the car I noticed the rotors were a little dished and put that on the list.

The big thing that has befuddled me and pisses me off at the same time - angle gear. When I had the timing belt done I had it in the dealer and paid for a soup to nuts check up - they gave me a short list of things that were wrong and sent me on my way. Not once did they mention "oh, your AWD isn't working and it is going to cost you $3k to fix it."

I had to end up noticing it wasn't functioning, diagnose it, and start collecting parts/line-up facilities to fix it myself.

Poke around here for angle gear/AWD not working threads - google Volvo angle gear - there are some decent R&R vids on youtube too.

Other than that, the obvious stuff - run a CarFax/AutoCheck for accidents, ask for maintenance records, etc.

Had I known about the angle gear/AWD limitations/propensity to fail - I might have stayed away or at least had someone prove to me it had been replaced/serviced from day one.

So....your point to the OP would be...have the AWD checked?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I think the point he's trying to make that unlike him, don't buy a very high mileage Volvo unless you KNOW what to look for,
    and have is checked out by SOMEONE WHO IS ACTUALLY COMPETENT!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I think the point he's trying to make that unlike him, don't buy a very high mileage Volvo unless you KNOW what to look for,
    and have is checked out by SOMEONE WHO IS ACTUALLY COMPETENT!
    Correct - I made the mistake (although a reasonable person has the expectation of a dealership mechanic finding any and all present faults) and hopefully he won't.

I wasn't pissing on you, it was on that dealership

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Look man you can't keep posting the same post over and over
    You now have two threads in this forum and one in another forum stating the same damn thing!
    ..and slightly changing the wording doesn't make it OK.
    You need to RELAX and wait for responses
    Sorry big guy, I thought I posted in the wrong section and I guess I did'nt.