Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
    Volvo Fluid is not life time should be changed every 30-40k

Volvo lies about alot of maintence items
    My query was addressed to the Original Poster.
    My 99XC has 130k miles with no transmission fluid change and my 03XC has 94K miles with no change. I don't believe "Volvo lies" but supplies the best information they have on hand at the time.
    So my question still remains for the OP?-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk [email protected] miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Tranny fluid like all other lubercaints are not life time.

Regardless what volvo likes to tell you.

Look at the 04+R car with there 105k timing belts

uses the same compenents as the 99 V70 but that supposed to be changed at 70k

Ok they dont lie its more of snakey selling.

You should change your tranny fluid every 40k kind of like changing your oil every 5k .

Nothing lasts forever espcially tranny fluid or angle gear fluid or rear diff fluid .....
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Next week, Im having the Volvo mechanic (from the dealership) change all my split control arm bushes and top engine mount. Since he's only going to charge me trade price for parts and will be doing the labour for a carton of beer, I feel im on a winner.
    He changed my front struts for beer

Beer - wow. That's a good mechanic...as long as he's not drinkin while he's workin on your car...

My angle gear WAS weeping, until I retightened all the bolts. Presto - weeping stopped.

And as Bill had suggested, the rubber in my control arms were cracked badly - I just replaced the entire unit - much cheaper and easier than pressing in and out old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
    Tranny fluid like all other lubercaints are not life time.

Regardless what volvo likes to tell you.

Look at the 04+R car with there 105k timing belts

uses the same compenents as the 99 V70 but that supposed to be changed at 70k

Ok they dont lie its more of snakey selling.

You should change your tranny fluid every 40k kind of like changing your oil every 5k .

Nothing lasts forever espcially tranny fluid or angle gear fluid or rear diff fluid .....
    I agree 100% I put about 20k on my 01 every year and do a fluid exchange every fall. I've done this now for the last 3 years and every year what should be red translucent fluid comes out dark brown and opaque. The Toyota IV tranny fluid isn't necessarily cheap and I buy 2 cases of it, but I sincerely believe it's why the tranny hasn't kicked the bucket thus far. (especially being an 01)

Hey n00bkiller944, I just noticed that you have the Avic f700bt head unit in your 05. I've got this unit in my wife's vehicle. Quick question, is there anyway to shut down or turn off the unit while the vehicle is running? I know you can mute it by holding down the multi control button, but sometimes I like to just turn it off... can't find anything in the owners man.

You can turn the screen off by going to like video options and clicking the screen off button on the bottom

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Angry Powerflex for a XC70

Quote Originally Posted by lexefx View Post
    I'm considering doing the powerflex bushings on mine, for durability, When you consider frequency of replacment for OEM parts - the costs may not ading up apples to apples.

Lex

NO. I went that route, replaced much of the rear with S60 Powerflex, same Volvo part numbers in the S60 and the XC70s', AND removed the Powerflex bushings a month later. The yellow poly and the stiffness just weren't there! Stick with OEM, change the OEM more often if you must. Have some pictures of the completed install,...a lot of work for no benefit. I think it has much to do with the amount of poly , the entire bush is poly, and that is the issue. OEM has those larger metal internal parts, and in fact OEM was stiffer!! Considering trying the Kepeckni (?) Racing bush for the front, or having solid for the rear sub frame, don't care about vibrations, care about performance, and the Powerflex, just was a big mistake in this car, actually made the car unsafe! Best bang for the buck was replacing the rear Track Bar for a more adjustable one, the one from IPD, works great. Makes rear Toe adjustments a snap, and considering the OEM track bar is marginal at best, esp those easy to rust eccentric bolts, this was a great mod. We just revisited this build and tweaked the yellow bushings with some washers we made to put a little more pressure on the subframe and front and rear arms, we revisited the alignment issue, and played with various non factory settings, NOW they perform WELL! this is a lot of work for a MODEST gain, and the elastic nature of these bushings takes a little getting used to around max turns at highway speeds, we actually do feel we gained a little doing all of this, but just a little! NOTE: REAR TOE ALIGNMENT BECOMES MUCH MORE SENSITIVE AND CRITICAL IF YOUR GOING TO DO THIS WE MAD MANY TRIPS TO THE ALINGMENT RACK AND IN FACT SWITCHED RACKS DUE TO FINDING OUT ONE MACHINE JUST WASN'T ACCURATE ENOUGH FOR OUR NEEDS!!! Keep this in mind.
    Last edited by Chrisd; 08-29-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
    The dealer said my front lower control arm bushings are fully cracked and need to be replaced, I picked the car up when it was dark so I haven't had a chance to look for myself, but I will inspect tomorrow and see if it is the front or rear bushings that need to be replaced. My question is, has anyone done this repair before and how hard is it to do? Also, I know I will need an alignment after, but will i need any special press or tool to get the bushings in?
    I just did this operation on my V70 and I just got the new LCAs and swapped them. I also did the QuickStruts, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar link and ball joints at the same time (140K miles on the car, so with the LCA rear bushings starting to wear, I figured the rest wasn't far behind).
    I did that to not have to worry about pressing in/out new bushings, just remove one LCA and bolt the new one in and move on.

If you know your alignment is good now, take a few measurements and make sure they're the same when you're done and you'll be close enough.

One would hope that sometime in the last 6 years the OP already finished his work.

Although it's probably time to do it again if he still owns the car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12